Induced Magnetic Moment (vector) vs. Induced EMF (scalar)

In summary: The induced EMF will then create a current that opposes the change in flux, as dictated by Lenz's law.However, due to the shape of the loop and the direction of the external magnetic field, the induced current may also produce a magnetic moment in the same direction as the external field, resulting in an amplification of the change in magnetic moment. This does not violate Lenz's law because the induced current still opposes the change in flux, even though it may also contribute to an increase in the overall magnetic moment.In summary, when a changing magnetic flux passes through only part of a curved loop, such as a rectangular loop curved into a "J" shape, the induced current will still oppose the change in flux, but may also
particlezoo
When I induce magnetic flux through a closed loop, I should expect the lines of flux produced by current in that loop to oppose the change of flux through that loop. But what happens when that loop, say a rectangular loop, is curved into the shape of the letter J (like a candy cane) and my flux is mainly cutting through the short end of the J? Would it then be possible for the induced magnetic moment to actually amplify the change of the magnetic moment? How does that not violate Lenz's law?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Um what? Have you tried doing the maths on that?
Anyway - I think you want to know about self-induction.

Unless you are asking about what happens when the changing magnetic flux only passes through part of the loop??

Simon Bridge said:
Um what? Have you tried doing the maths on that?
Anyway - I think you want to know about self-induction.

Unless you are asking about what happens when the changing magnetic flux only passes through part of the loop??

Yes.

I am asking what happens when the external magnetic field lines pass only through one end of the loop.

In this case, it is a rectangular loop curved into the shape of the letter "J", where the flux crosses through the end of the loop at the smaller end of the "J".

The external magnetic field in this scenario is strongest near this short end of the "J" and weakens with distance. So in this example, the external magnetic field may be produced by a small point magnetic dipole near the short end of the "J" which generates EMF by virtue of rotation and/or translation relative to the fixed closed loop.

Related to Induced Magnetic Moment (vector) vs. Induced EMF (scalar)

1. What is the difference between induced magnetic moment and induced EMF?

Induced magnetic moment refers to the creation of a magnetic dipole moment in a material in response to an external magnetic field. Induced EMF, on the other hand, refers to the creation of an electromotive force (voltage) in a conductor when the magnetic flux through it changes.

2. How is induced magnetic moment measured?

Induced magnetic moment is typically measured using a magnetometer, which can detect the strength and direction of a magnetic field. The induced magnetic moment can be calculated by multiplying the magnetic field strength by the magnetic susceptibility of the material.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of induced magnetic moment?

The magnitude of induced magnetic moment is affected by the strength of the external magnetic field, the magnetic properties of the material, and the orientation of the material with respect to the magnetic field.

4. Can induced magnetic moment be reversed?

Yes, the direction of induced magnetic moment can be reversed by changing the direction of the external magnetic field. This is known as magnetic hysteresis and is commonly observed in ferromagnetic materials.

5. How is induced EMF related to Faraday's law of induction?

Induced EMF is a direct result of Faraday's law of induction, which states that a changing magnetic field through a conductor will induce an electromotive force in the conductor. This is the underlying principle behind generators and transformers.