Infinite products defining entire functions

In summary: You want the sum $\displaystyle \sum_{n,k}\frac1{|z_{k,n}|^p} = \sum_{n,k}\frac1{(n^2+k^2)^{p/2}}$ to be divergent when $p=2$, but convergent when $p>2$.Take the $p=2$ case first. Then the sum is $\displaystyle \sum_{n,k}\frac1{n^2+k^2}$. The sum over $n$ goes from $1$ to $\infty$, and the sum over $k$ goes from $-\infty$ to $\infty$. But
pantboio
Consider the product
$$\displaystyle\prod_{n=1}^{+\infty}(1-e^{-2\pi n}e^{2\pi iz})$$

I've proven that this product converges uniformly on compact subsets of complex plane since the serie $\sum_{n=0}^{+\infty}|\frac{e^{2\pi iz}}{e^{2\pi n}}|$ does.

Now I'm interested to zeros of $F$, the entire function to which the product converges. How can i find them? Can i say that all the zeros of $F$ are those complex numbers $z$ such that $e^{-2\pi n}e^{2\pi i z}=1$? If yes, zeros are of the form
$$z_{n,k}=-in+k$$
$n,k$ integers. Do you think it's correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi pantboio! :)

pantboio said:
Consider the product
$$\displaystyle\prod_{n=1}^{+\infty}(1-e^{-2\pi n}e^{2\pi iz})$$

I've proven that this product converges uniformly on compact subsets of complex plane since the serie $\sum_{n=0}^{+\infty}|\frac{e^{2\pi iz}}{e^{2\pi n}}|$ does.

I don't see that right away, but I'll take your word for it.

Now I'm interested to zeros of $F$, the entire function to which the product converges. How can i find them? Can i say that all the zeros of $F$ are those complex numbers $z$ such that $e^{-2\pi n}e^{2\pi i z}=1$? If yes, zeros are of the form
$$z_{n,k}=-in+k$$
$n,k$ integers. Do you think it's correct?

Yes.
A product of factors is zero if and only if at least 1 of those factors is zero.
This remains true in the limit to infinity.

ILikeSerena said:
Hi pantboio! :)
I don't see that right away, but I'll take your word for it.
Yes.
A product of factors is zero if and only if at least 1 of those factors is zero.
This remains true in the limit to infinity.
Thank you very much.
I used a theorem which tells that if $\{f_j\}$ is a sequence of functions, analytic somewhere, say in a domain $\Omega$, such that the series $\displaystyle\sum_{j=1}^{+\infty}|f_j|$ converges uniformly on compact subsets of $\Omega$, then the infinite product $\prod_{n=1}^{+\infty}(1+f_j)$ also converges , uniformly on compact subsets of $\Omega$, to a holomorphic function.
But my problem is now another. Ok, we have zeros of $F$, namely
$$z_{k,n}=-in+k$$
$n,k$ integers, $n\geq 1$. I have to prove the following:
$$\displaystyle\sum_{k}\frac{1}{|z_k|^{2+\epsilon}}$$
converges for every $\epsilon>0$, while
$$\displaystyle\sum_{k}\frac{1}{|z_k|^{2}}$$ diverges, where $\{z_k\}$ is some enumeration of zeros, but honestly i can't see this. If zeros are $z_{k,n}=-in+k$, then $|z_{k,n}|=\sqrt{n^2+k^2}$ depending both on $n$ and $k$ and i don't know how to proceed...

Before we start to do anything profound, let's take a look at that statement.

Suppose we pick $z_k = k$, then:

$\displaystyle \sum_k \dfrac 1 {|z_k|^2} = \frac{\pi^2}{6}$​

... but... but... that converges!

If we pick an n other than zero, it will only converge faster.

pantboio said:
Thank you very much.
I used a theorem which tells that if $\{f_j\}$ is a sequence of functions, analytic somewhere, say in a domain $\Omega$, such that the series $\displaystyle\sum_{j=1}^{+\infty}|f_j|$ converges uniformly on compact subsets of $\Omega$, then the infinite product $\prod_{n=1}^{+\infty}(1+f_j)$ also converges , uniformly on compact subsets of $\Omega$, to a holomorphic function.
But my problem is now another. Ok, we have zeros of $F$, namely
$$z_{k,n}=-in+k$$
$n,k$ integers, $n\geq 1$. I have to prove the following:
$$\displaystyle\sum_{k}\frac{1}{|z_k|^{2+\epsilon}}$$
converges for every $\epsilon>0$, while
$$\displaystyle\sum_{k}\frac{1}{|z_k|^{2}}$$ diverges, where $\{z_k\}$ is some enumeration of zeros, but honestly i can't see this. If zeros are $z_{k,n}=-in+k$, then $|z_{k,n}|=\sqrt{n^2+k^2}$ depending both on $n$ and $k$ and i don't know how to proceed...
So you want the sum $\displaystyle \sum_{n,k}\frac1{|z_{k,n}|^p} = \sum_{n,k}\frac1{(n^2+k^2)^{p/2}}$ to be divergent when $p=2$, but convergent when $p>2$.

Take the $p=2$ case first. Then the sum is $\displaystyle \sum_{n,k}\frac1{n^2+k^2}$. The sum over $n$ goes from $1$ to $\infty$, and the sum over $k$ goes from $-\infty$ to $\infty$. But if we ignore the negative values of $k$ then the sum of the remaining terms is $$\sum_{n=1}^\infty\sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac1{n^2+k^2}.$$ To estimate this double sum, do a "diagonal count" by considering all the terms for which $k+n=m$ for a fixed $m$. There are $m$ such terms (because $n$ can take any value from $1$ to $m$, and the corresponding value of $k$ goes down from $m-1$ to $0$). Each of these terms satisfies $$\frac1{n^2+k^2} = \frac1{m^2 - 2nk}\geqslant \frac1{m^2},$$ and since there are $m$ of them their sum is at least $\dfrac m{m^2} = \dfrac1m.$ Now when you sum over $m$, you see that the sum diverges.

The case $p>2$ requires a completely different argument. This time we are looking at $\displaystyle \sum_{n,k}\frac1{(n^2+k^2)^{p/2}}$, and my (non-rigorous) suggestion is to use a "two-dimensional" version of the integral test for convergence. If you replace the sum by the integral $$\int^\infty\!\!\int^\infty \frac1{(x^2+y^2)^{p/2}}dx\,dy$$ and transform to polar coordinates, you will be looking at $$\int^\infty r^{1-p}\,dr,$$ which converges when $p>2$. But I do not know of any formal justification for this version of the integral test.

Two facts we saw
$$\displaystyle\sum_{k}\frac1{|z_k|^{2+\epsilon}}\<\infty\ \forall\epsilon, \ \textrm{and}\ \displaystyle\sum_{k}\frac1{|z_k|^2}=\infty$$

precisely mean that $b=2$, where $b$ is the convergence exponent of the sequence of zeros of $F$, which is defined as
$$b=\inf\{\lambda>0:\displaystyle\sum_{k}\frac1{|z_k|^{\lambda}}<\infty\}$$

Now we define the order of growth of an entire function $f$ as
$$\rho=\{\lambda>0:\displaystyle\sup_{|z|=r}|f(z)|=O(e^{r^{\lambda}}),r\rightarrow\infty\}$$
There's a theorem which ensures
$$b\leq\rho$$
In our case, $\rho\geq 2$. I'm pretty convinced that also the reverse holds, so that $\rho$ is exactly 2, but no idea how to prove this...

Related to Infinite products defining entire functions

What is an infinite product defining an entire function?

An infinite product defining an entire function is a mathematical concept where an entire function, which is a complex-valued function that is analytic over the entire complex plane, is represented as an infinite product of simpler functions.

How does an infinite product define an entire function?

An infinite product defining an entire function can be thought of as an "infinite polynomial" where the terms of the polynomial are given by the simpler functions in the product. By taking the product to infinity, the resulting function is an entire function.

What are some examples of infinite products defining entire functions?

Some examples of infinite products defining entire functions include the Euler product formula, the Weierstrass factorization theorem, and the Mittag-Leffler theorem.

What is the significance of infinite products defining entire functions?

Infinite products defining entire functions are important in complex analysis, as they allow for the representation of entire functions in a compact and elegant form. They also have applications in areas such as number theory, physics, and engineering.

What are some challenges in working with infinite products defining entire functions?

Some challenges in working with infinite products defining entire functions include ensuring convergence of the product and determining the correct form of the product for a given entire function. Additionally, evaluating the product at specific points can be computationally intensive.