Integral on Circle: Showing $\frac{1}{1-|z|^2}$

In summary, an integral on a circle is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a curve on a circular path. To show that a function is integral on a circle, the Cauchy integral formula is used. Demonstrating that a function is integral on a circle has significance in applying complex analysis techniques and understanding the behavior of a function. An example of using the integral on a circle formula is finding the value of an integral for a given function on a circle. However, this formula has limitations and can only be used for analytic functions with no singularities within the circle, and assumes a closed non-intersecting curve.
Likemath2014
How I can show the following

[tex] \int _{\mathbb{T}} \frac{1}{|1-e^{-i\theta}z|^2}dm(e^{i\theta})= \frac{1}{1-|z|^2} ,[/tex]
where z is in the unit disc
dm is the normalized Lebesgue measure and
T is the unite circle.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

This is a special case of the Poisson formula in the unit disc. Here the harmonic function is the constant function f(z) = 1.

Likes Likemath2014

Related to Integral on Circle: Showing $\frac{1}{1-|z|^2}$

1. What is an integral on a circle?

An integral on a circle is a mathematical concept that involves calculating the area under a curve on a circular path. This is commonly used in complex analysis and can be represented using complex numbers.

2. How do you show the function $\frac{1}{1-|z|^2}$ is integral on a circle?

To show that a function is integral on a circle, you need to use the Cauchy integral formula, which states that the value of an integral around a closed curve is equal to the value of the function at any point inside the curve multiplied by the circumference of the circle. In this case, the function is already in the form of $\frac{1}{z}$ which is a known integral on a circle, so you can use the substitution $z = \frac{1}{w}$ to show that the function $\frac{1}{1-|z|^2}$ is integral on a circle.

3. What is the significance of showing $\frac{1}{1-|z|^2}$ is integral on a circle?

Showing that a function is integral on a circle is important because it allows us to use techniques from complex analysis to solve problems in other areas of mathematics. It also helps to understand the behavior of the function and its singularities.

4. Can you give an example of how to use the integral on a circle formula?

Sure. Let's say we have the function $f(z) = \frac{1}{z}$ and we want to find the value of the integral on a circle with radius 2 centered at the origin. We can use the formula $\int_C f(z) dz = 2\pi i f(0)$ to calculate the value of the integral, which in this case would be $2\pi i \cdot \frac{1}{0} = \infty$.

5. Are there any limitations to using the integral on a circle formula?

Yes, there are limitations to using the integral on a circle formula. It can only be used for functions that are analytic on the interior of the circle and have no singularities within the circle. It also assumes that the curve is closed and does not intersect itself.