Intro to Topology Recommended Texts

In summary: I'll keep that in mind.In summary, I am looking for a topology textbook that is thorough, has a solutions manual, and does not require knowledge of higher-level real/complex analysis. I found the Munkres text to be ideal, but it is a bit expensive. I also found a solution manual for free on the website above.
STEM2012
I know there are some threads out there already, but none really help me (see my description below).

I am a high school student. My highest level of math education is Calculus I. I am currently taking Calculus II (although I already know the integration portion of this course).

I have no education in topology besides some simple knowledge from discrete math texts.

I need a topology text that is thorough, ideally has a solutions manual, and does NOT require knowledge of higher-level real/complex analysis.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Munkres will be your best bet. It starts from the very basics of set theory and it goes quite deep.
However, a lot of motivation for the things we do actually comes from real analysis. So it may very well happen that you find topology to be ill-motivated. But other than that, Munkres should be ideal for you.

Thanks micromass. Although its a bit pricy, my school is paying for it so I think I'll purchase it.

By the way, could you give me a good source for downloading the solutions manual. I've done some looking into that already, but everything I've found is incomplete and requires logging in through subscribing w/ pay (which I'd like to avoid).

STEM2012 said:
Thanks micromass. Although its a bit pricy, my school is paying for it so I think I'll purchase it.

By the way, could you give me a good source for downloading the solutions manual. I've done some looking into that already, but everything I've found is incomplete and requires logging in through subscribing w/ pay (which I'd like to avoid).

I'm not aware that a solution manual even exists :frown: And I doubt you will find one without paying...

You're right about a nonexistent official solutions manual. I was looking at some solutions posted by other users, which I guess is the reason they were incomplete.

With that said, do you know of some other text that matches what I'm looking for AND has a solutions manual (either for free or for purchase, I guess it doesn't matter)? The reason why I really would prefer a solutions manual is because I'm using this text for an directed study and my high school teacher is not really familiar with topology.

Thanks a lot in advance

STEM2012 said:
You're right about a nonexistent official solutions manual. I was looking at some solutions posted by other users, which I guess is the reason they were incomplete.

With that said, do you know of some other text that matches what I'm looking for AND has a solutions manual (either for free or for purchase, I guess it doesn't matter)? The reason why I really would prefer a solutions manual is because I'm using this text for an directed study and my high school teacher is not really familiar with topology.

Thanks a lot in advance

What about this one?

http://www.pdmi.ras.ru/~olegviro/topoman/index.html

It's not really a textbook, but rather a problem course. That is, you learn the material by solving problems. You can find a free version of the text on the website above. However, if you want a text that contains the proofs and solutions, then you'll have to pay for it.

To my (limited) knowledge, this is the only text with a solution manual.

You should consider https://www.amazon.com/dp/0070379882/?tag=pfamazon01-20. Schaum books contain many examples and solved problems (plus other problems without solutions). It probably will work best as a supplement to another text. You can preview parts of the book in the Amazon link. You also might be able to find a copy in a local bookstore and browse through it.

Last edited by a moderator:
@micromass. Thanks for the problem course link. I'll use it as a supplement to the Munkres text which I just ordered.

@Petek. Thanks for the idea. Like you said, it seems ideal as a supplement to another text since it is only an "outline."

Related to Intro to Topology Recommended Texts

1. What is topology?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of shapes and spaces that remain unchanged under continuous deformations. It is concerned with the study of geometric properties that are preserved through stretching, twisting, and bending, but not tearing or gluing.

2. Why is topology important?

Topology has many applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, and biology. It helps in understanding the structure of complex systems and networks, and in solving problems involving continuous functions and transformations.

3. What are the basic concepts in topology?

Some of the key concepts in topology include continuity, connectedness, compactness, and convergence. These concepts are used to define and study various topological spaces, such as metric spaces, Euclidean spaces, and topological manifolds.

4. What are some recommended texts for learning topology?

Some widely used and recommended texts for learning topology include "Introduction to Topology" by Bert Mendelson, "Topology" by James R. Munkres, "Topology" by John G. Hocking and Gail S. Young, and "Topology" by Klaus Jänich. These books cover various topics in topology and provide a solid foundation for further study.

5. Is topology a difficult subject to learn?

Topology can be challenging for beginners as it involves abstract concepts and rigorous proofs. However, with patience and practice, it can be a fascinating and rewarding subject to learn. It is recommended to have a strong background in calculus and linear algebra before delving into topology.