How Do You Compute the Inverse Laplace Transform of a Power Series?

In summary, the series expansion of F(s) is:\$\displaystyle \frac{e^{- \frac{1}{s}}}{\sqrt{s}} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{n}}{s^{n + \frac{1}{2}}\ n!}\ (1)\... and because is\$\displaystyle \mathcal{L}^{-1} \{\frac{1}{s^{n + \frac{1}{2}}}\} = \frac{t^{n - \frac{1}{2}}}{\Gamma(n + \frac{1}{2
nacho-man
Please refer to the attachment.

For part a)
so far I have:
$e^x = 1 + \frac{x}{1!} + ...+ \frac{x^n}{n!}$
So
$S^\frac{-1}{2}e^\frac{-1}{S} = S^\frac{-1}{2}(1 -\frac{1}{S} + \frac{1}{2!S^2} - \frac{1}{3!S^3} + \frac{1}{4!S^4} + ... - ...)$

I don't think my $S^\frac{-1}{2}$ on the outside is correct though.
I don't know why it says 'take the inverse transform term by term', since this is a never ending series.

Little lost for part 2. They haven't covered it in lectures yet, I briefly recall this being related to the cauchy integral formula... or something similar we did earlier.

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks!

Attachments

• txtbook q1.jpg
    txtbook q1.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 67
Physics news on Phys.org
nacho said:
Please refer to the attachment.

For part a)
so far I have:
$e^x = 1 + \frac{x}{1!} + ...+ \frac{x^n}{n!}$
So
$S^\frac{-1}{2}e^\frac{-1}{S} = S^\frac{-1}{2}(1 -\frac{1}{S} + \frac{1}{2!S^2} - \frac{1}{3!S^3} + \frac{1}{4!S^4} + ... - ...)$

I don't think my $S^\frac{-1}{2}$ on the outside is correct though.
I don't know why it says 'take the inverse transform term by term', since this is a never ending series.

Little lost for part 2. They haven't covered it in lectures yet, I briefly recall this being related to the cauchy integral formula... or something similar we did earlier.

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks!

The expansion of F(s) is...

$\displaystyle \frac{e^{- \frac{1}{s}}}{\sqrt{s}} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{n}}{s^{n + \frac{1}{2}}\ n!}\ (1)$

... and because is...

$\displaystyle \mathcal{L}^{-1} \{\frac{1}{s^{n + \frac{1}{2}}}\} = \frac{t^{n - \frac{1}{2}}}{\Gamma(n + \frac{1}{2})} = \frac{(2\ t)^{n}}{\sqrt{\pi\ t}\ (2\ n - 1)!}\ (2)$

... is also...

$\displaystyle \mathcal{L}^{-1} \{\frac{e^{- \frac{1}{s}}}{\sqrt{s}}\} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi\ t}}\ \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{n}\ (2\ t)^{n}}{n!\ (2 n - 1)!} = \frac{\cos 2\ \sqrt{t}}{\sqrt{\pi\ t}}\ (3)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Ok, what's with the double factorial? I have never seen that before and this worries me

nacho said:
Ok, what's with the double factorial? I have never seen that before and this worries me

$\displaystyle (2 n-1) \cdot (2 n-3) \cdot ... \cdot 3 \cdot 1 = (2 n-1)!$

$\displaystyle 2 n \cdot (2 n - 2) \cdot ...\cdot 2 = (2\ n)!$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

I understand that the inverse Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that is used to convert a function from the Laplace domain to the time domain. It is denoted as L^-1 and is the inverse of the Laplace transform, denoted as L. The Laplace transform is a powerful tool in engineering, physics, and other scientific fields for solving differential equations and analyzing systems.

In this particular question, we are given the function e^x and asked to find its inverse Laplace transform. To do this, we can use the definition of the Laplace transform, which states that:

L{f(t)} = F(s) = ∫f(t)e^-st dt

Where s is the complex variable and t is the time variable. In the case of e^x, we have:

L{e^x} = ∫e^x e^-st dt

To solve this integral, we can use the power series expansion of e^x given by:

e^x = 1 + x + x^2/2! + x^3/3! + ...

Substituting this into our integral, we get:

L{e^x} = ∫(1 + x + x^2/2! + x^3/3! + ...)e^-st dt

= ∫e^-st + xe^-st + x^2/2!e^-st + x^3/3!e^-st + ... dt

= ∫e^-st dt + ∫xe^-st dt + ∫x^2/2!e^-st dt + ∫x^3/3!e^-st dt + ...

Using the definition of the Laplace transform, we can rewrite this as:

L{e^x} = 1/s + 1/s^2 + 2!/s^3 + 3!/s^4 + ...

= ∑n=0∞n!/s^(n+1)

This is the inverse Laplace transform of e^x. However, the question also asks us to take the inverse transform term by term. This means that we need to use the inverse Laplace transform on each term separately. This will give us:

L^-1{1/s} = 1

L^-1{1/s^2} = t

L^-1{2!/s^3} = 2!/2!

Related to How Do You Compute the Inverse Laplace Transform of a Power Series?

What is an inverse Laplace transform?

An inverse Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that allows us to find the original function from its Laplace transform. It is the reverse process of finding the Laplace transform of a function.

Why do we need to use inverse Laplace transform?

Inverse Laplace transform is used to solve differential equations and systems of differential equations. It is a useful tool in engineering and physics, as it allows us to analyze systems and predict their behavior over time.

How do you perform an inverse Laplace transform?

The inverse Laplace transform is performed by using a table of Laplace transforms or by using algebraic manipulation and integration techniques. The method used will depend on the complexity of the function and the desired accuracy of the result.

What are the properties of inverse Laplace transform?

The inverse Laplace transform has several properties, including linearity, time shifting, differentiation, integration, and convolution. These properties allow us to simplify the inverse Laplace transform of complex functions and make the calculations easier.

What are the applications of inverse Laplace transform?

Inverse Laplace transform has many applications in mathematics, engineering, and physics. It is used in control systems, signal processing, electronics, and other fields to analyze and model systems and their behavior over time. It is also used in solving differential equations and initial value problems.