Is an open map also a homeomorphism?

• Thread starter 1MileCrash
  • Start date
In summary, the statement "f: X -> Y is a homeomorphism iff it is an open map" is true, as long as f is a bijective, continuous map. This can be proven by using the open mapping theorem for complex analysis and noting that if f is continuous and f-inverse is continuous, then f is a homeomorphism.
1MileCrash
I was told to prove that

f: X -> Y is a homeomorphism iff it is an open map

While I see that if f is a homeomorphism, it is certainly an open map, but is the implication in the other direction even true? Because I see no reason to believe it is.

Physics news on Phys.org
That is false. I suspect they meant a bijective continuous map ##f## is a homeomorphism iff it is open iff it is closed.

1MileCrash said:
I was told to prove that

While I see that if f is a homeomorphism, it is certainly an open map, but is the implication in the other direction even true? Because I see no reason to believe it is.

I think it should be "A bijective, continuous map ##f:X\to Y## is a homeomorphism iff it is an open map."

For fun, prove "A bijective, continuous map ##f:X\to Y## is a homeomorphism iff it is a closed map." :-p

Edit: WN got there first. Why you type so fast? :smile:

this false without some hypotheses. if X is an open subset of Y, the inclusion map is open but not a homeomorphism.

if f is projection of the plane X onto the y - axis Y, this map is open but not a homeomorphism.

If X and Y are the same set equipped with different topologies so that Y has more open sets than X, then the identity map is open but not a homeomorphism.

etc...

1MileCrash said:
I was told to prove that

take a look at the open mapping theorem for complex analysis.

Let X be any space and Y a point. Map X to Y.

Mandelbroth said:
I think it should be "A bijective, continuous map ##f:X\to Y## is a homeomorphism iff it is an open map."

For fun, prove "A bijective, continuous map ##f:X\to Y## is a homeomorphism iff it is a closed map." :-p

Edit: WN got there first. Why you type so fast? :smile:

Oh, ok. But isn't that kind of trivial? If it is an open map then that is exactly the same (from what I can see) as saying that f-inverse is continuous. So basically that means I'm asked to show that f is a homeomorphism if f is continuous, f-inverse is continuous, and f is a bijection, but that's just what a homeomorphism is.

Related to Is an open map also a homeomorphism?

1. What is an open map homeomorphism?

An open map homeomorphism is a type of function in mathematics that preserves the structure of a topological space. This means that it is a bijective function that maps open sets in one space to open sets in another space, while also being continuous and having a continuous inverse.

2. How is an open map homeomorphism different from other types of homeomorphisms?

Unlike other types of homeomorphisms, an open map homeomorphism specifically focuses on the preservation of open sets. This means that it is a stronger condition than just being a homeomorphism, as it also requires the function to map open sets to open sets.

3. What are some examples of open map homeomorphisms?

One example of an open map homeomorphism is the function f(x) = 2x on the real line. This function maps open intervals to open intervals, and its inverse function g(x) = x/2 is also continuous. Another example is the stereographic projection, which is a bijective function between the sphere and the plane that maps open sets to open sets.

4. Why are open map homeomorphisms important in topology?

Open map homeomorphisms are important because they help us understand the topological properties of a space. By preserving the structure of the space, they allow us to identify topologically equivalent spaces and study their properties. They also play a crucial role in the development of many theorems in topology.

5. Can all homeomorphisms be considered open map homeomorphisms?

No, not all homeomorphisms can be considered open map homeomorphisms. While all open map homeomorphisms are homeomorphisms, the converse is not true. A homeomorphism may not preserve open sets, making it not an open map homeomorphism.