Is Minkowski space the only Poincare invariant space?

In summary: One example of such manifold is Minkowski space. If you mean "a manifold with a Lorentzian metric", then Minkowski space is the unique space with trivial holonomy, so the answer is yes. If you mean "a manifold with a Lorentzian metric and some other structure", then I don't know, but I guess the answer is again yes.Or could it have some further isometries?Yes, it can. For example, the group of Poincare transformations is a subgroup of the conformal group, so any conformal transformation is also an isometry of Minkowski space.
Rearden
Hi everyone,

I was wondering: if a space is invariant under Poincare transformations, does that mean it has to be Minkowski space? Or could it have some further isometries?
By the same token, if a space is invariant under the orthogonal transformations, does it have to be Euclidean?

I hope I've been clear; I don't really know how to start tackling this problem, so any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You're asking if a smooth manifold with a metric is determined up to diffeomorphism by its isometry group? Hm, I don't know, but I would guess "yes". (Edit: Temporary insanity. See #7).

Last edited:
Neat way of phrasing it! I'm also fairly sure it's a "yes" given the original context of the problem:

Poisson's equation (i.e. Newtonian gravity) is invariant under the Euclidean transformations. Because the space we see around us is manifestly Euclidean, I don't think the equation has any other isometries. But I can't prove it...

(Note: I'm trying my hardest to avoid deriving the symmetry group using brute-force Lie Theory)

Fredrik said:
You're asking if a smooth manifold with a metric is determined up to diffeomorphism by its isometry group? Hm, I don't know, but I would guess "yes".

Huh? I don't see how this can be right, unless I'm missing something. Let a manifold M have a totally empty isometry group, no symmetries at all. Then clearly it's not identical up to diffeomorphism to every other manifold with the same complete lack of symmetry.

Rearden said:
if a space is invariant under Poincare transformations, does that mean it has to be Minkowski space? By the same token, if a space is invariant under the orthogonal transformations, does it have to be Euclidean?
I think so. The kind of possible exception that I could imagine would be the Euclidean plane versus a cylinder. Locally, they have the same group of isometries, but globally they don't.

The Poincare group contains transformations like reflections that can't be generated by series of infinitesimal actions, so they take distant points to distant points; because of this, when someone talks about the Poincare group, I would generally take that as being explicitly global. But experimentalists certainly do test Poincare invariance in the lab, which is local, and then, e.g., if they want to test full parity inversion, they have to test inversion in a point that lies inside the lab.

Rearden said:
Or could it have some further isometries?
I doubt it. The plane/cylinder type of example involves *reducing* the global symmetry, not increasing it. Isn't 10 simply the maximum number of Killing vectors a spacetime can have? That doesn't prove that there can't be additional discrete symmetries, but I'm having a hard time imagining what they could be.

"In a general N dimensional manifold with metric gab, the maximum num-
ber of independent Killing vectors is N(N + 1)/2. It can be shown that
maximally symmetric spaces (spaces that allow the maximum number of in-
dependent Killing vectors) are unique, which means they only differ by some coordinate transformation." -- http://www.math.toronto.edu/~colliand/426_03/Papers03/J_Bauer.pdf

Last edited:
bcrowell said:
Huh? I don't see how this can be right, unless I'm missing something. Let a manifold M have a totally empty isometry group, no symmetries at all. Then clearly it's not identical up to diffeomorphism to every other manifold with the same complete lack of symmetry.
Good point. :redface:

bcrowell said:

Can't you use the diffeomorphism to generate isometric manifolds (pullback)?

Last edited:
Hmm...I think Bauer's statement in #6 is false without adding another condition. Manifolds don't have to be connected. So for example, I can make a manifold M out of two nonintersecting lines. It has two independent Killing vectors, not N(N+1)/2=1 as he claims. So I guess this is an unexpected answer to the OP's question: "if a space is invariant under Poincare transformations, does that mean it has to be Minkowski space? Or could it have some further isometries?" If I make a 4-dimensional manifold out of two disconnected copies of Minkowski space, then it is invariant under Poincare transformations (in fact, under two independent copies of the Poincare transformations), but it's not Minkowski space, and it does have further isometries, such as an exchange of identities of the two disconnected spaces. I would imagine that Bauer's statement is true if you restrict to connected spaces.

Rearden said:
Hi everyone,

I was wondering: if a space is invariant under Poincare transformations, does that mean it has to be Minkowski space?

That depends on what you mean by "space". If you mean just "a manifold", then you can take any homogeneous space P/H, where P is the Poincare group and H its closed subgroup.

Related to Is Minkowski space the only Poincare invariant space?

1. What is Minkowski space?

Minkowski space is a mathematical concept used in the theory of relativity to describe the four-dimensional spacetime in which physical events occur. It is named after the mathematician Hermann Minkowski.

2. What does it mean for a space to be Poincare invariant?

A space is considered Poincare invariant if it is symmetric with respect to translations, rotations, and boosts (or changes in reference frame). This means that the laws of physics remain the same regardless of where or how they are observed within that space.

3. Is Minkowski space the only Poincare invariant space?

Yes, Minkowski space is the only Poincare invariant space. This is because it is the only space in which the laws of physics, as described by the theory of relativity, remain the same regardless of the observer's reference frame.

4. How is Minkowski space different from Euclidean space?

Minkowski space and Euclidean space are both mathematical concepts used to describe the physical world, but they differ in their dimensions and properties. Minkowski space has four dimensions (three for space and one for time) and is used in the theory of relativity, while Euclidean space has three dimensions and is used in classical physics.

5. What is the significance of Poincare invariance in physics?

Poincare invariance is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the laws of physics should remain the same regardless of the observer's reference frame. This allows us to make accurate predictions and calculations about the physical world, and is a crucial concept in the theory of relativity and other areas of physics.