Is the Function f(z) = z^(1/3) Analytic?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Dustinsfl
  • Start date
In summary: That is the information learned from your suggestion on polar coordinates though.Yes, but it is important to consider the behavior of the function in the region containing the branch cut. The function is not analytic in that region, and thus not analytic in the entire domain either.Can't you? Look up the Binomial Series.$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left( 1 + x \right) ^{\alpha} = \sum_{k = 0}^{\infty}{ {\alpha \choose{k}} x^k } \end{align*}$where $\displaystyle \begin{align*} { \alpha \choose{k}} = \frac{ \alpha \left( \alpha - 1 \
Dustinsfl
I want to show \(f(z) = z^{1/3}\) is analytic. I need to show that for some domain D:
(1) the partial derivatives exist in D
(2) the C-R equations are satisfied
(3) f is continuous in D
(4) the partial derivatives are continuous in D
Then f is analytic in D.
\begin{alignat*}{3}
u_x
&= \frac{x\cos\Big(\frac{1}{3}\arctan\big(\frac{y}{x}\big)\Big) +
y\sin\Big(\frac{1}{3}\arctan\big(\frac{y}{x}\big)\Big)}
{3(x^2 + y^2)^{5/6}}
& \qquad
v_y &= {} \frac{x\cos\Big(\frac{1}{3}\arctan\big(\frac{y}{x}\big)\Big) +
{3(x^2 + y^2)^{5/6}}\\
u_y
&= \frac{y\cos\Big(\frac{1}{3}\arctan\big(\frac{y}{x}\big)\Big) -
x\sin\Big(\frac{1}{3}\arctan\big(\frac{y}{x}\big)\Big)}
{3(x^2 + y^2)^{5/6}}
& \qquad
v_y &= {} \frac{-y\cos\Big(\frac{1}{3}\arctan\big(\frac{y}{x}\big)\Big) +
{3(x^2 + y^2)^{5/6}}
\end{alignat*}
Therefore, (2) is satisfied. (1) is satisfied since \(f\) is infinitely differentiable so the first partial exist. How can I determine the domain D that f is analytic in?

Is it \(\mathbb{C}-\{0\}\)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The principal branch of the function is *not* everywhere analytic.

Hint $z^{1/3} = \exp(1/2 \cdot \log(z))$, and the principal branch of log is analytic (prove it) everywhere except $z = 0$ and the branch cut $[-\infty, 0]$. $\exp(z)$ is everywhere analytic (prove it). Composition of analytic functions are analytic.

mathbalarka said:
The principal branch of the function is *not* everywhere analytic.

Hint $z^{1/3} = \exp(1/2 \cdot \log(z))$, and the principal branch of log is analytic (prove it) everywhere except $z = 0$ and the branch cut $[-\infty, 0]$. $\exp(z)$ is everywhere analytic (prove it). Composition of analytic functions are analytic.

I am aware that \(z^{1/3} = \exp(1/3 \cdot \ln(z)) = \exp(1/3\ln\lvert z\rvert + i(\arg(z) + 2\pi k)) = \lvert z\rvert^{1/3}e^{i/3(\arg(z) + 2\pi k)}\)

So since we have a branch cut on \((-\infty, 0]\), would we say the function is analytic on the domain \(\mathbb{C} - \{(-\infty, 0]\}\)?

Yes, as $\log(z)$ is analytic on that region and $\exp(z)$ is entire.

mathbalarka said:
Yes, as $\log(z)$ is analytic on that region and $\exp(z)$ is entire.

How can I show (3) and (4) apply on this domain D?

dwsmith said:
I want to show \(f(z) = z^{1/3}\) is analytic. I need to show that for some domain D:
(1) the partial derivatives exist in D
(2) the C-R equations are satisfied
(3) f is continuous in D
(4) the partial derivatives are continuous in D
Then f is analytic in D.
\begin{alignat*}{3}
u_x
&= \frac{x\cos\Big(\frac{1}{3}\arctan\big(\frac{y}{x}\big)\Big) +
{3(x^2 + y^2)^{5/6}}
& \qquad
v_y &= {} \frac{x\cos\Big(\frac{1}{3}\arctan\big(\frac{y}{x}\big)\Big) +
{3(x^2 + y^2)^{5/6}}\\
u_y
&= \frac{y\cos\Big(\frac{1}{3}\arctan\big(\frac{y}{x}\big)\Big) -
{3(x^2 + y^2)^{5/6}}
& \qquad
v_y &= {} \frac{-y\cos\Big(\frac{1}{3}\arctan\big(\frac{y}{x}\big)\Big) +
{3(x^2 + y^2)^{5/6}}
\end{alignat*}
Therefore, (2) is satisfied. (1) is satisfied since \(f\) is infinitely differentiable so the first partial exist. How can I determine the domain D that f is analytic in?

Is it \(\mathbb{C}-\{0\}\)?

If a function is analytic, doesn't that mean you can write it as a series that is convergent over a neighbourhood?

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} z^{\frac{1}{3}} = \left[ 1 + \left( z - 1 \right) \right] ^{\frac{1}{3}} \end{align*}$

and you can apply the Binomial series expansion.

dwsmith said:
How can I show (3) and (4) apply on this domain D?

Well, it is clear that $\log(z)$ (the principal branch) is not continuous at $(-\infty, 0]$ (arg(z) is not continuous there) and thus is not analytic. Transform the C-R equations into polar coordinates as $(x, y) \mapsto (r\sin(\theta), r\cos(\theta))$ and set $z = x + iy$. The calculations are quite straightforward.

Prove It said:
If a function is analytic, doesn't that mean you can write it as a series that is convergent over a neighbourhood?

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} z^{\frac{1}{3}} = \left[ 1 + \left( z - 1 \right) \right] ^{\frac{1}{3}} \end{align*}$

and you can apply the Binomial series expansion.

I don't see how we can write that as a power series.

mathbalarka said:
Well, it is clear that $\log(z)$ (the principal branch) is not continuous at $(-\infty, 0]$ (arg(z) is not continuous there) and thus is not analytic. Transform the C-R equations into polar coordinates as $(x, y) \mapsto (r\sin(\theta), r\cos(\theta))$ and set $z = x + iy$. The calculations are quite straightforward.
\[
u_x = v_y = \frac{\cos(2/3\cdot\theta)}{3r^{2/3}}\\
u_y = -v_x = \frac{\sin(2/3\cdot\theta)}{3r^{2/3}}
\]
So the partial derivatives aren't continuous at the origin.

We have already excluded out the branch cut at $(-\infty, 0]$. $z^{1/3}$ is not analytic in any region encircling $0$, in particular.

mathbalarka said:
We have already excluded out the branch cut at $(-\infty, 0]$. $z^{1/3}$ is not analytic in any region encircling $0$, in particular.

That is the information learned from your suggestion on polar coordinates though.

dwsmith said:
I don't see how we can write that as a power series.

Can't you? Look up the Binomial Series.

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left( 1 + x \right) ^{\alpha} = \sum_{k = 0}^{\infty}{ {\alpha \choose{k}} x^k } \end{align*}$

where $\displaystyle \begin{align*} { \alpha \choose{k}} = \frac{ \alpha \left( \alpha - 1 \right) \left( \alpha - 2 \right) \dots \left( \alpha - k + 1 \right) }{k!} \end{align*}$

In this case, $\displaystyle \begin{align*} x = z - 1 \end{align*}$ and $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \alpha = \frac{1}{3} \end{align*}$.

Related to Is the Function f(z) = z^(1/3) Analytic?

1. What is "F(z) = z^(1/3) analytic" and what does it mean?

"F(z) = z^(1/3) analytic" refers to a mathematical function that takes an input value, z, and raises it to the power of 1/3. The term "analytic" means that the function is complex differentiable, which is an important property in complex analysis.

2. Can you explain the concept of complex differentiability and why it is important for this function?

Complex differentiability refers to the ability of a function to be smoothly and continuously differentiable in the complex plane. This is important for the function F(z) = z^(1/3) because it allows us to use tools and techniques from complex analysis to study and understand its properties.

3. How does the function F(z) = z^(1/3) behave near the origin (z = 0)?

The function F(z) = z^(1/3) has a branch point at the origin, meaning that it is not defined at z = 0. However, we can define the function in a small neighborhood around the origin using a branch cut, and it will behave like a continuous, complex differentiable function in that region.

4. What are the possible values of F(z) = z^(1/3) for a given complex number z?

Since we are dealing with complex numbers, there are infinitely many possible values for F(z) = z^(1/3). This is because for any complex number z, there are three possible cube roots that can be taken to get z. These values can be represented by points on a complex plane, forming a spiral-like shape around the origin.

5. How is the function F(z) = z^(1/3) related to other mathematical concepts, such as power functions and complex roots?

The function F(z) = z^(1/3) is a special case of the power function, where the exponent is 1/3. It is also related to the concept of complex roots, as it can be written as z^(1/3) = e^(1/3 * log(z)), where log(z) represents the complex logarithm. This allows us to use the properties of logarithms and exponentials to understand the behavior of F(z) = z^(1/3).