Is the power series convergent?

In summary, a power series is an infinite series that has a variable raised to a power. To determine convergence, the limit of the terms must approach 0, which can be tested using methods such as the ratio test or the integral test. Absolute convergence occurs when the series converges with absolute values, while conditional convergence occurs when the series only converges without absolute values. A power series can also diverge if the terms do not decrease in magnitude or follow a specific pattern. In real life, power series are used in various fields to approximate functions and solve equations, as well as to model and analyze data in fields such as physics, economics, and statistics.
lucad93
Hello! I have a problem with the following exercise, in which i must calculate the ray of a power serie. This is the power serie: \(\displaystyle \sum_{K=0}^{+\infty}(k+1)z^{k+1}\). I decide to use the ratio test, and so i calculate \(\displaystyle \lim_{k\rightarrow +\infty}\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_{n}}\) for n going to infinity and i get \(\displaystyle \lim_{k\rightarrow +\infty}\frac{k+2}{k+1}=2\Rightarrow R=\frac{1}{2}\) but the real result should be 1. Am i doing something wrong? Thankyou

Physics news on Phys.org
lucad93 said:
Hello! I have a problem with the following exercise, in which i must calculate the ray of a power serie. This is the power serie: \(\displaystyle \sum_{K=0}^{+\infty}(k+1)z^{k+1}\). I decide to use the ratio test, and so i calculate \(\displaystyle \lim_{k\rightarrow +\infty}\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_{n}}\) for n going to infinity and i get \(\displaystyle \lim_{k\rightarrow +\infty}\frac{k+2}{k+1}=2\Rightarrow R=\frac{1}{2}\) but the real result should be 1. Am i doing something wrong? Thankyou

What is a "ray" of convergence? If you mean a "radius" or "circle" of convergence, then you are correct, you should use the ratio test...

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \lim_{k \to \infty} \left| \frac{a_{k+1}}{a_k} \right| &< 1 \\ \lim_{k \to \infty} \left| \frac{ \left( k + 2 \right) \, z ^{k + 2} }{ \left( k + 1 \right) \, z^{k + 1} } \right| &< 1 \\ \lim_{k \to \infty} \left( \frac{ k + 2 }{ k + 1 } \right) \,\left| z \right| &< 1 \\ \lim_{ k \to \infty } \left( 1 + \frac{1}{k + 1} \right) \, \left| z \right| &< 1 \\ \left( 1 + 0 \right) \, \left| z \right| &< 1 \\ \left| z \right| &< 1 \end{align*}$

The radius of convergence is 1.

Hi there!

It looks like you're on the right track with using the ratio test to calculate the radius of convergence for this power series. Your calculations seem correct, but there may be a small error in your final answer.

When taking the limit as k approaches infinity, you should be using n instead of k in your expression. So the correct calculation would be: \lim_{n\rightarrow +\infty}\frac{n+2}{n+1}=1.

This means that the radius of convergence is R=1, which matches the expected result. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions or if I can clarify anything for you. Good luck with your exercise!

Related to Is the power series convergent?

1. What is a power series?

A power series is an infinite series of the form ∑n=0∞ cn(x-a)n, where cn and a are constants and x is a variable. It is a type of mathematical series that has a variable raised to a power.

2. How do you determine if a power series converges?

A power series converges if the limit of the terms of the series approaches 0 as n approaches infinity. This can be determined by using various tests such as the ratio test, the root test, or the integral test.

3. What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence of a power series?

A power series is said to have absolute convergence if the series converges when the absolute values of the terms are taken. A series has conditional convergence if it only converges when the terms are not absolute values.

4. Can a power series diverge?

Yes, a power series can diverge if the limit of its terms does not approach 0 as n approaches infinity. This can occur if the terms of the series alternate in sign and do not decrease in magnitude, or if they do not follow a specific pattern.

5. How are power series used in real life?

Power series are used in various fields of science and engineering to approximate functions and solve equations. They are also commonly used in physics, economics, and statistics to model and analyze data.