Is the Real Field the Only Complete Ordered Field?

• Thread starter Bipolarity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field
In summary, the real field is the only complete field up to order preserving field isomorphism under field addition and multiplication. The standard linear ordering defined on ℝ is not a complete ordering.
Bipolarity
I was looking for a proof of the fact that the real field is the only complete field up to order preserving field isomorphism under field addition and multiplication and the standard linear ordering defined on ℝ. I haven't been able to find a link online. Could someone perhaps provide me with one?

Thanks!

BiP

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know about online proofs, but Spivak's Calculus contains a sketch of a proof of this result in one of the appendices.

The argument is pretty simple. Let F be such a field and notice that any such field necessarily contains a copy of Q. So we have a way of identifying the rationals in F with the rationals in R. Then you can map this guy into the reals as follows:
  1. For each element x in F let Ax be the collection of rationals in F that are less than x.
  2. Define f(x) = sup Ax where the supremum is taken in R. We can do this because of the identification I mentioned before.
So now we have a map f:F→R and it is pretty easy to show that it is an order-preserving isomorphism. If this all seems horribly informal to you, then you can make the identifications I made explicit and the argument goes through just the same, I am just way too lazy to do that.

jgens said:
The argument is pretty simple. Let F be such a field and notice that any such field necessarily contains a copy of Q. So we have a way of identifying the rationals in F with the rationals in R. Then you can map this guy into the reals as follows:
  1. For each element x in F let Ax be the collection of rationals in F that are less than x.
  2. Define f(x) = sup Ax where the supremum is taken in R. We can do this because of the identification I mentioned before.
So now we have a map f:F→R and it is pretty easy to show that it is an order-preserving isomorphism. If this all seems horribly informal to you, then you can make the identifications I made explicit and the argument goes through just the same, I am just way too lazy to do that.

I see! Thanks!
What definition of completeness are you using?

BiP

Order-completeness. Metric-complete ordered fields are actually not unique.

the uniqueness proof uses the fact the field is archimedean. least upper bound complete fields are automatically archimedean. otherwise you can prove any complete archimedean ordered field is unique.here is a link to a discussion of both existence and uniqueness.

http://math.caltech.edu/~ma108a/defreals.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Is the Real Field the Only Complete Ordered Field?

What is meant by "real field is unique"?

"Real field is unique" refers to the concept that there is only one true mathematical system of real numbers, and all other fields with similar properties (such as the rational numbers or complex numbers) can be constructed from this unique real field.

Why is it important to understand that real field is unique?

Understanding that real field is unique helps us to better comprehend the properties and relationships between different types of numbers. It also allows us to use real numbers as a foundation in mathematical proofs and calculations.

How is the uniqueness of real field proven?

The uniqueness of real field is proven through the use of axioms and definitions in mathematical logic. These axioms, such as the completeness axiom, are used to construct the real numbers and show that they have specific properties that cannot be replicated in other fields.

What are some practical applications of the uniqueness of real field?

The uniqueness of real field has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. Real numbers are used to model and solve problems in these areas, and the uniqueness of real field ensures that the solutions are accurate and consistent.

Are there any exceptions to the uniqueness of real field?

No, the uniqueness of real field is a fundamental concept in mathematics and has been proven to hold true in all cases. There are no exceptions or situations in which the real field is not unique.