Is there a physical connection between Action and Angular Momentum?

In summary, the Principle of Stationary Action is a fundamental concept in Classical Physics, Quantum Mechanics, QED, GR, and String Theory. It is related to symmetries in the Lagrangian and can be used to find conserved quantities. While Action and Angular Momentum share the same dimensions, they are not necessarily equivalent in terms of physical connections. Energy and torque also share the same dimensions, but have different geometric interpretations. This highlights the importance of considering both dimensions and units in understanding the relationships between physical quantities.
LarryS
Gold Member
The Principle of Stationary Action plays a role in Classical Physics (Lagrangians), Quantum Mechanics and QED (phase), GR (geodesics of maximum Proper Time) and apparently even in String Theory. Action and Angular Momentum share the same units. Other than sharing units, is there a real physical connection between Action and Angular Momentum? As always, thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not really.

If one can find symmetries in the Lagrangian (changes of variables that leave it unchanged), then the chain rule in a form known as Noether's theorem can be used to find conserved quantities.

For example, a rotation of coordinates for a Lagrangian that has a kinetic energy and central potential (ie: Newtonian gravity) can be used to show that angular momentum is conserved. An example of this can be found in Tong's classical physics notes here:

http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/dynamics.htm

referframe said:
Action and Angular Momentum share the same units.

Yeah, that wigs me out a little. What about torque and energy having the same units?

Be careful. They share the same dimensions, not the same units.

Vanadium 50 said:
Be careful. They share the same dimensions, not the same units.

Hi Vanadium 50. Could you elaborate a bit please? I've never heard of a distinction.

Cantab Morgan said:
Hi Vanadium 50. Could you elaborate a bit please? I've never heard of a distinction.

I believe I see Vanadium 50's point. Energy is Force dot Distance whereas Torque is Force cross Distance. Which indirectly answers my original question regarding Action and Angular Momentum sharing the same "units". Action is a pure scalar whereas Angular Momentum is a vector. So, when one takes into account the geometry of the situation, dimensions and units may not be the same thing.

Last edited:

Related to Is there a physical connection between Action and Angular Momentum?

1. What is the difference between angular momentum and action?

Angular momentum is a vector quantity that describes the rotational motion of an object, while action is a scalar quantity that describes the overall motion of an object.

2. How are angular momentum and action related?

Angular momentum and action are related through the principle of conservation of angular momentum, which states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant in the absence of external torques.

3. Can action be negative?

No, action is a scalar quantity and therefore cannot have a negative value. It represents the total amount of motion in a system and is always a positive value.

4. Does angular momentum have direction?

Yes, angular momentum is a vector quantity and therefore has both magnitude and direction. The direction of angular momentum is perpendicular to the plane of rotation.

5. How is angular momentum calculated?

The formula for angular momentum is L = Iω, where L is angular momentum, I is moment of inertia, and ω is angular velocity. Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotation and is dependent on the object's mass and distribution of mass.