Is there a problem with the latex?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Matterwave
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary: The problem with the LaTeX font is a known issue and the administrators are working on it. In the meantime, it may be helpful to use the "size" tag to increase the font size of certain sections in your LaTeX code. As for the positioning, using itex tags instead of tex can sometimes help with that issue. However, LaTeX is still the preferred language for mathematical expressions on this forum.
Matterwave
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A lot of threads I've been looking at doesn't display the Latex code. It just says: Latex code: blahblahblah. All underlined. What's wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
We have a notice up at the top of the page.

Attention: LaTeX is currently not working. We're experiencing some disk drive problems and files are unable to write at this time. We are looking into replacing the drive shortly. Thanks!

Ah, shows me for not reading notices. :P

Thanks.

I no longer see the announcement but I can't post Latex code and have it look correct.

I've even tried to cut and paste older Latex lines that look fine but the new "preview" do not look correct.

As far as you know - is Latex working now? is the problem on me?

no problem

Thanks

Is Latex still down? I can't seem to produce right Latex despite I thought what I typed was compliant to Latex code.

caseyjay said:
Is Latex still down? I can't seem to produce right Latex despite I thought what I typed was compliant to Latex code.
Yes, unfortunately, LaTeX is still down. We are aware of the problem and hopefully chroot will be able to resolve it soon.

lol @ people keeping asking if LaTeX is still down.

If you type something correct between tex-tags and it doesn't show, it's still down. If it does show, it's up again :)

where are we?

I thought the bronx was up, and the battery was down. :confused:

need to re-type?

Hi snoopies622! :smile:

I'm fairly sure you'll need to re-type it …

I think the server looks for a thingy created at the time of posting, and of course it won't be able to find one. :frown:

Alternatively, edit now, using extra symbols and the X2 and X2 tags. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
...using extra symbols and the X2 and X2 tags.

I'm sorry; I'm not sure what this means. Not using LaTeX? Can one make a decent looking fraction without it?

snoopies622 said:
I'm sorry; I'm not sure what this means. Not using LaTeX? Can one make a decent looking fraction without it?

Decent enough, yes. I just go for plain and simple, like: 1/2
But what tiny tim means is: 1/2

how vulgar!

Hi Moonbear! :smile:
Moonbear said:
Decent enough, yes. I just go for plain and simple, like: 1/2

You call it a plain and simple fraction …

some people call it vulgar! :biggrin:
But what tiny tim means is: 1/2

Honestly, I never thought of that! :redface:

That's quite neat! :approve:

tiny-tim said:
Honestly, I never thought of that! :redface:

That's quite neat! :approve:

Well, I never thought of it until I read your post here. :smile: We'll call it a collaborative effort, then! :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Well, I never thought of it until I read your post here. :smile: We'll call it a collaborative effort, then! :biggrin:

Patent pending... ?

Thanks all, but I think I'll just wait for the LaTeX to return. I hope the problem is fixed soon.

Testing...

[itex]E=mc^2[/itex]

[itex]\LaTeX[/itex] is back up. I'm still not a fan of the font, though, so I'm going to try tweaking a few more things.

- Warren

Thanks chroot! :approve:

[tex]\mathrm{Y^A{}_Y}, \text{ it } = \cup p \text{ again!}[/tex]

Must we use LateX? Can't we switch to other language such as Wikipedia's one?
Well i notice some restrictions in LateX,
firstly, the mathematics symbols are sometimes too small and may cause confusion,

such as this, [tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to \infty } \sum\limits_{x = 1}^N {\left( {{a_1}{b_{n + 1}}} \right)\frac{{{\partial ^2}}}{{\sqrt {\frac{{n!}}{{r!\left( {n - r} \right)!}}} }}} [/tex]

Is that x-1 or x=1 ?

secondly, LateX doesn't know how to position itself in a suitable manner.
from the above example, the sentence "such as this" should position at the same line as lim x->[tex]\infty [/tex] , instead of above it. Another example [tex]{x^2}\frac{\partial }{x}[/tex]
In wikipedia, all equations are automatically adjusted to fit into the middle of the sentence for better viewing experience.

Sorry, these are just my random grumble...

ok i feel better now after my grumble.

AFAIK, Wikipedia is using LaTeX.
In your first expression, it is x = 1. From the context it makes sense, if you have any doubt just click on it and check it.
Even inline, you can write lim x -> [itex]\infty[/itex] and [itex]x^2 \frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/itex] very well if you just use itex tags instead of tex.

That said, if it takes a lot of server resources and - agreed - doesn't always look great, I am noticing that many sites, such as http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/PropertiesOfRiemannStieltjesIntegral.html which seems to work rather nicely except for some messages at the top when not all recommended fonts are installed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since PF is one of the most renowned science forums in the web currently, I thought the standard required would be higher.

I hardly use LateX now unless necessary.
Even if I have to use mathematical language to better illustrate my question, I normally use MathType® and save it as .GIF, then upload it to tinypic.com
Such as this,
2nl5t1x.gif

Attachments

• 2nl5t1x.gif
    2nl5t1x.gif
    4.8 KB · Views: 442
Last edited:
nyrychvantel said:
Must we use LateX? Can't we switch to other language such as Wikipedia's one?

Is that x-1 or x=1 ?

secondly, LateX doesn't know how to position itself in a suitable manner.

I agree!

"x = 1" under a ∑ always looks like "x-1" in PF's LaTeX. :frown:

And while inline LaTeX does position everything correctly, it makes fractions and powers too small (or cuts them off).

Also, our LaTeX "r" looks too much like a tau. :cry:

I agree that it would be a significant improvement if the font was a bit bigger and the images had a higher resolution. It looks like the pixel size in LaTeX images is much bigger than in regular text. See e.g. the examples I used in this thread. (The reason why the images have a white background is that vBulletin upgrade that week had caused some LaTeX problems).

Related to Is there a problem with the latex?

1. Is latex safe to use?

Yes, latex is generally safe to use. However, some people may have allergies to latex and may experience adverse reactions. It is important to check the labels and consult with a doctor if you have any concerns.

2. What are the common problems with latex?

The most common problems with latex are allergic reactions, skin irritation, and discomfort from prolonged use. Some people may also experience difficulty breathing or anaphylactic shock if they have a severe latex allergy.

3. What should I do if I have a latex allergy?

If you suspect that you have a latex allergy, it is important to consult with a doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment. You may need to avoid products made with latex and carry an epinephrine auto-injector in case of severe reactions.

4. Can I still use latex products if I have a latex allergy?

If you have a latex allergy, it is best to avoid using latex products. However, there are latex-free options available for many products, such as gloves and condoms. Be sure to read labels and choose products that are labeled as "latex-free" or "non-latex".

5. How can I prevent latex-related problems?

If you are not allergic to latex, the best way to prevent any problems is to use latex products as directed and avoid prolonged use. If you have a latex allergy, the best prevention is to avoid latex products altogether and use latex-free alternatives.