Preview button not working as expected

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter issacnewton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary: I get an error message saying: "This document is not formatted for printing.". This is a known bug.I just had the same problem.I went to "Homework Help Guidelines" and "Learn LaTeX for Math Equations" first before I googled this site. Maybe it would help to give a hint there.
issacnewton
When I create a thread and enter all Latex equations, I want to see how it would appear before posting the thread. So, when I click Preview button, I do not see the compiled thread. I have to reload the browser tab to see the Latex output. Are other people seeing this problem ?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
IssacNewton said:
When I create a thread and enter all Latex equations, I want to see how it would appear before posting the thread. So, when I click Preview button, I do not see the compiled thread. I have to reload the browser tab to see the Latex output. Are other people seeing this problem ?

Thanks
I see it often and it seems to come and go randomly. Because of its random behavior, I assume that it is due to some network / browser issues and not something that would be easy for Physics Forums to address. I have just gotten used to routinely reloading the tab when that happens.

Ok, I did not know that. This is a great forum and its sad that its happening here. I also post sometimes on Mathematics Stack Exchange. On their site, one can see compiled equations immediately at the bottom. So, the output is really beautiful there. But, other problem with that site is that people downvote/delete question if community doesn't think its good or repeated.

On this site, admins really should try to go to the bottom of this issue.

IssacNewton said:

Thanks

This is a known issue:

mfb said:
The preview doesn't load MathJax unless it's already being called for a previous formula in the thread, that's a known bug. Checking the preview function in a thread that has formulas should be fine. If you want to start a thread with many formulas you could test it using the preview function in an existing thread with formulas.

• Informative
Likes gentzen and FactChecker
I did not know about the bug. Thanks pasmith. But can't this bug be fixed ? This is very important forum.

I just had the same problem. I went to "Homework Help Guidelines" and "Learn LaTeX for Math Equations" first before I googled this site. Maybe it would help to give a hint there.
In my case reloading does not help for equations in "Homework statement" and "Relevant Equations"

1. Why is the preview button not working at all?

There could be several reasons why the preview button is not working. It could be a technical issue with the software or website, a compatibility issue with your web browser, or incorrect settings on your computer. It is best to troubleshoot the issue by checking for updates, clearing your browser's cache, and adjusting any settings that may be hindering the preview button from functioning properly.

2. Why is the preview button only showing a blank page?

This could be due to a missing or broken link within the preview. Make sure all necessary files and images are properly linked and uploaded. It could also be a coding error, so double check your code for any mistakes. If the issue persists, try using a different web browser or device to see if the preview appears correctly.

3. How can I fix the issue of the preview button not showing the most recent changes?

If the preview is not reflecting the most recent changes, it could be because the changes have not been saved or published. Make sure to save and publish your work before previewing it. It could also be due to caching, so try clearing your browser's cache or using a private browsing window to see the most recent changes.

4. Why is the preview button showing a different layout or design than what I have created?

This could be caused by a coding error or a compatibility issue with your web browser. Make sure to check your code for any mistakes and try using a different web browser or device to see if the layout or design appears correctly. It could also be due to differences in screen resolution or display settings, so make sure to test the preview on different devices and adjust your design accordingly.

5. How can I troubleshoot why the preview button is not working on a specific page?

If the preview button is working on other pages but not on a specific page, it could be due to a coding error or missing files on that particular page. Check your code for any mistakes and make sure all necessary files and images are properly linked and uploaded. It could also be due to conflicting settings or plugins, so try disabling them to see if that resolves the issue.