Is this an example of Relativity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of relativity and how it relates to an example of an object appearing in two places when crossing one's eyes. The participants also touch on the distinction between facts and interpretation in understanding SR.
NWH
So since I've started learning up on SR, the way I look at some things is nothing like it used to be before. The other day I was sitting down looking about, when I went cross eyed for a moment. Then I realized something quite interesting. If you have an object in front of you and you cross your eyes, it would appear if the object was sitting in two places. Neither positions are wrong, both are correct, but it can appear if they're in different places.

Is this a simple example of relativity? Two eyes (and one brain) acting as individual observers, observing the same object but dissagreeing with what position it's in?

Physics news on Phys.org
No. You can call it 'relativity' if you want, but it has nothing to do with the theory of relativity of Einstein.

Cool, thanks...

I do see some analogies. There is an object at a certain position, and each eye sees it at a different angle. No problem. But the brain expects something different, and insists that there is one object at two different positions, which is nonsense. It's about distinguishing facts from interpretation, and that's the biggest hurdle on the way to understanding SR.

Related to Is this an example of Relativity?

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity is a scientific theory developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It is composed of two parts: the special theory of relativity and the general theory of relativity. The theory explains how time and space are relative to an observer's perspective and how they are affected by gravity.

2. How does relativity impact our understanding of the universe?

Relativity has greatly impacted our understanding of the universe by challenging our previous notions of time and space. It has led to the development of concepts such as black holes, gravitational waves, and the expanding universe. It has also helped to explain phenomena such as the bending of light and the slowing of time near massive objects.

3. Is there any evidence to support the theory of relativity?

Yes, there is a significant amount of evidence that supports the theory of relativity. One of the most famous pieces of evidence is the observation of the bending of light by the sun during a solar eclipse, which was predicted by Einstein's theory. Other evidence includes the precision of GPS technology, the motion of stars and galaxies, and the behavior of particles in particle accelerators.

4. Can you give an example of relativity in everyday life?

One example of relativity in everyday life is the concept of time dilation. This is the idea that time moves slower for objects that are moving at high speeds compared to those that are stationary. This is a very small effect in our daily lives, but it is important to consider in areas such as satellite navigation systems and high-speed travel.

5. How does relativity differ from Newton's laws of motion?

Relativity differs from Newton's laws of motion in that it takes into account the effects of gravity and the relative motion of objects. Newton's laws only apply in situations where gravity is not a significant factor, whereas relativity applies to all objects and their interactions, including those affected by gravity.