Is this still an equivalent force?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the strength of a rope or attachment equipment for a person falling from a certain height. The options of using kinetic energy or conservation of momentum are considered, with the conclusion that an energy metric would best reflect the relevant capacity of the rope. The concept of the rope as a spring and the use of mountain climbing equipment specifications are also mentioned. The issue of finding the spring constant for different lengths of rope is addressed, as well as the fact that materials may show nonlinear response before breaking.
Bengineer
Say I want to determine if a rope/ attachment equipment is strong enough for a person falling at some height. I am unable to have a mass fall at that height so I decide to up the mass and reduce the height.

Should I use kinetic energy or conservation of momentum?
Because the impulsive force should be F= change in momentum/change in time
But I also should be able to model the system with energy conservation however the force would be different because of different mass right? As F=MA

I am not actually going to test anything, I am just curious.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Bengineer said:
Say I want to determine if a rope/ attachment equipment is strong enough for a person falling at some height. I am unable to have a mass fall at that height so I decide to up the mass and reduce the height.

Should I use kinetic energy or conservation of momentum?
Because the impulsive force should be F= change in momentum/change in time
But I also should be able to model the system with energy conservation however the force would be different because of different mass right? As F=MA

I would think that an energy metric would best reflect on the relevant capacity of the rope. You want to know how much energy it can absorb when it is jerked taut.

Likes FactChecker
The rope is a spring. Whatever the rope is attached to is also a spring. And the falling mass on the rope is a spring. All of these springs are in series, so the total of them has a spring constant.

The falling mass has a kinetic energy at the point where the rope goes tight. Knowing the spring constant, there is an equation for energy vs amount of spring compression (or extension). If you equate the falling mass kinetic energy to the energy stored in the spring, you can calculate the maximum compression of the spring. The peak force is calculated from the maximum compression and the spring constant.

Or you can study mountain climbing equipment, looking at rope specifications. That will give a real world estimate of the necessary strength, an estimate that includes appropriate safety factors.

Likes Lnewqban
Since I a test at a shorter height would have less rope, therefore, less k would an accelerometer be useful in determining max force by the number of recorded G's times the mass of the object. Also, I could make an equivalent k It is just difficult to find k values of climbing rope per meter.

if The rope is short, it has greater stiffness and a higher k value than a long rope. The k value of the rope is roughly AE/L , where A is it’s cross section area, L is it’s unstretched length, and E is the equivalent Young Modulus of Elasticity.

Likes Lnewqban
When the mass is dropped, we have an oscillatory condition, where the mass will bounce up and down. The energy losses in the system are small and cause the oscillation to slowly damp out. So it seems reasonable to me to use energy conservation to estimate the initial force. If you can find the spring constant, then you can solve everything using PE=KE. In a practical situation with a steel wire rope and a person falling we may find a force of maybe ten times the weight.

Bengineer said:
Do I understand the problem you present properly?
Mass A free-falling from height H1 produces a maximum tension force Tmax on restraining rope of length L1.
Not having height H1 available, you mimic the situation by using
Mass B free-falling from height H2 (H2<H1) produces a maximum tension force Tmax on restraining rope of length L2 (L2<L1).

Lnewqban said:
Do I understand the problem you present properly?
Mass A free-falling from height H1 produces a maximum tension force Tmax on restraining rope of length L1.
Not having height H1 available, you mimic the situation by using
Mass B free-falling from height H2 (H2<H1) produces a maximum tension force Tmax on restraining rope of length L2 (L2<L1).
That is correct.

If only all the ropes were like bungee jumping ropes that would make problem trivial. In reality many materials show nonlinear response long before they actually break . IOW they are far from ideal spring as they approach critical tension limit.

Likes Bengineer
zoki85 said:
If only all the ropes were like bungee jumping ropes that would make problem trivial. In reality many materials show nonlinear response long before they actually break . IOW they are far from ideal spring as they approach critical tension limit.
Ok to eliminate the complexity of the different K constants and how they are not an ideal spring what about using the same rope. The shorter length will provide less stretch and be a more volatile result, therefore, giving a sort of an inherent safety factor.

For a drop test, the basic formula is PE = mgh (where PE changes linearly with h) and assuming you lift the weight to the same height for every test then the h will automatically be shorter and the resulting KE will be less for the shorter rope by the ratio of the two rope lengths.

Bengineer said:
Ok to eliminate the complexity of the different K constants and how they are not an ideal spring what about using the same rope. The shorter length will provide less stretch and be a more volatile result, therefore, giving a sort of an inherent safety factor.
As long as you're dealing with an elastic case and the same rope, K can be eliminated as pointed out in post #5 (K=E⋅A/L). The modulus of elasticity E is an inherent property of a material. From formulae of energy of falling mass and absorbed potential energy of the rope you calculate stretch (elongation) Δx

Related to Is this still an equivalent force?

1. What is an equivalent force?

An equivalent force is a force that has the same magnitude and direction as another force, but may act on a different object or at a different point.

2. How can I determine if two forces are equivalent?

To determine if two forces are equivalent, you can use the principle of superposition. This means that you can add the two forces together vectorially and if the resulting vector is the same as one of the original forces, then they are equivalent.

3. Why is it important to know if two forces are equivalent?

Knowing if two forces are equivalent is important because it allows us to simplify complex systems and analyze them more easily. It also helps us understand how different forces act on objects and how they can affect their motion.

4. Can equivalent forces have different effects on an object?

Yes, equivalent forces can have different effects on an object depending on where they are applied and the characteristics of the object. For example, two equivalent forces acting on a rigid object may not cause any motion, but the same forces acting on a flexible object may cause deformation.

5. How does the concept of equivalent forces relate to Newton's Third Law of Motion?

The concept of equivalent forces is closely related to Newton's Third Law of Motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Equivalent forces are essentially two forces that are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction, thus following the principles of Newton's Third Law.