Is this the simplesft form? i put it in a k-map

• Thread starter mr_coffee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Form
In summary, the conversation is discussing a diagram and its simplest form. The individual provides a link to the diagram and asks if it is the simplest form. Another person responds that it is not and explains that for the K-Map, circled numbers can be circled again and in groups of 2 or 4. They suggest circling slots 6-7 and 7-8 in addition to 3-7. The first person realizes their mistake and thanks the other for pointing it out. The final sum is BC + AB + AC.
mr_coffee
here is my work and picture:
http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1349/asdfas7hu.jpg
is this the simplest form? Thanks.

if that link is slow, also u can try this one:
http://show.imagehosting.us/show/771..._-1_771087.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
My answer would be no, it is not. For the K-Map, circled numbers may be circled again. You can circle in groups of 2 or 4. Thus you can circle as well slots 6-7 and 7-8 in addition to 3-7. Assuming a numbering from 1-8 of the cells left to right then top to bottom.

re

I agree, you can circle adjacent squares more than once. How many more can you find?

ahh, i can't believe i did that, and i freaking drew everything, the diagram,etc, f word. Thanks! I got: BC + AB + AC

Related to Is this the simplesft form? i put it in a k-map

1. What is a K-map?

A K-map, short for Karnaugh map, is a graphical method used to simplify Boolean algebra expressions. It is a grid-like structure that allows for the visual representation of logical functions.

2. How do you know if a expression is in its simplest form?

In a K-map, the simplest form of an expression is one that has the least number of terms and uses the fewest cells in the grid. It is also known as the sum of products (SOP) form, where each term is represented by a group of adjacent cells with a value of 1.

3. Can you explain the process of simplifying an expression using a K-map?

To simplify an expression using a K-map, you start by writing the truth table for the expression. Then, you fill in the K-map with the corresponding outputs for each input combination. Next, you look for groups of adjacent cells with a value of 1 and combine them to form a simplified expression. Finally, you check if the expression is in its simplest form by comparing it to the original expression.

4. What are the advantages of using a K-map for simplification?

A K-map allows for a visual representation of logical expressions, making it easier to identify patterns and simplify them. It also provides a systematic approach to simplification, reducing the chances of making errors. Additionally, it is a useful tool for simplifying expressions with a large number of variables.

5. Are there any limitations to using a K-map for simplification?

While K-maps are an effective tool for simplifying expressions, they can become complex and difficult to use when dealing with expressions with more than 4 variables. They also require prior knowledge of Boolean algebra and can be time-consuming for larger expressions.