Is Swapping Limits and Integrals Justified in Complex Analysis?

• MHB
  • Thread starter chisigma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Procedure
In summary, the problem at hand involves finding the correct procedure for solving an integral using a given formula. The validity of this formula depends on the properties of the function $f$ with respect to its $r$-dependence. Some relevant theorems that may apply include the Lebesgue Dominated Convergence Theorem, the Monotone Convergence Theorem, and Fatou's Lemma. However, in this specific case, the limit can be justified by a direct argument, showing that it converges to $- \pi$. This is due to the uniformity of the limit with respect to $\theta$.
chisigma
Gold Member
MHB
Recently, for the solution of an integral I assumed, with a bit of optimism in truth, the validity of the following formula ...

$\displaystyle \lim_{r \rightarrow r_{0}} \int_{a}^{b} f(r, \theta)\ d \theta = \int_{a}^{b} \lim_{r \rightarrow r_{0}} f(r, \theta)\ d \theta\ (1)$

The question is: this is a correct procedure? ... or ... what property must have f (*, *) so that it is a proper procedure? ...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe if $f$ is uniformly $r$-continuous about some finite neighborhood of $r_0$, that will be a sufficient (not sure about necessary) condition to ensure that you can do this. Some relevant theorems would be the Lebesgue Dominated Convergence Theorem, the Monotone Convergence Theorem, and Fatou's Lemma. For a more Riemannian approach, you could check out Theorem 7.16 in Baby Rudin. You haven't given much information on the $r$-dependence of $f$, so these theorems may or may not apply.

Ackbach said:
I believe if $f$ is uniformly $r$-continuous about some finite neighborhood of $r_0$, that will be sufficient (not sure about necessary) conditions to ensure that you can do this. Some relevant theorems would be the Lebesgue Dominated Convergence Theorem, the Monotone Convergence Theorem, and Fatou's Lemma. For a more Riemannian approach, you could check out Theorem 7.16 in Baby Rudin. You haven't given much information on the $r$-dependence of $f$, so these theorems may or may not apply.

The case was...

$\displaystyle \lim_{r \rightarrow 0} i\ \int_{0}^{\pi} \frac{e^{i\ r\ e^{i\ \theta}} - 1}{r}\ e^{- i\ \theta}\ d \theta = i\ \int_{0}^{\pi} \lim_{r \rightarrow 0} \frac{e^{i\ r\ e^{i\ \theta}}- 1}{r}\ e^{- i\ \theta}\ d \theta = - \int_{0}^{\pi} \lim_{r \rightarrow 0} e^{i\ r\ e^{i\ \theta}}\ d \theta = - \int_{0}^{\pi} d \theta = - \pi\ (1) $

... where I applied l'Hopital rule...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
The case was...

$\displaystyle \lim_{r \rightarrow 0} i\ \int_{0}^{\pi} \frac{e^{i\ r\ e^{i\ \theta}} - 1}{r}\ e^{- i\ \theta}\ d \theta = i\ \int_{0}^{\pi} \lim_{r \rightarrow 0} \frac{e^{i\ r\ e^{i\ \theta}}- 1}{r}\ e^{- i\ \theta}\ d \theta = - \int_{0}^{\pi} \lim_{r \rightarrow 0} e^{i\ r\ e^{i\ \theta}}\ d \theta = - \int_{0}^{\pi} d \theta = - \pi\ (1) $

... where I applied l'Hopital rule...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

If the integrals are treated as Lebesgue integrals, then your limit procedure is valid by the dominated convergence theorem. First put the $i$ inside the integral. Let $f_r(\theta)$ be the resulting integrand. A version of the mean value theorem shows that $\sup_{r > 0}|f_r| \le 1$. Since $\int_0^\pi 1 \, d\theta$ is finite, we deduce from the dominated convergence theorem (for real variable limits) that

\(\displaystyle \lim_{r\to 0} \int_0^{\pi} f_r(\theta)\, d\theta = \int_0^{\pi} \lim_{r\to 0} f_r(\theta)\, d\theta.\)

Now

\(\displaystyle \lim_{r\to 0} f_r(\theta) = ie^{-i\theta}\frac{d}{dr}|_{r = 0}( e^{ire^{i\theta}}) = ie^{-i\theta} \cdot ie^{i\theta} = -1.\)

Hence

\(\displaystyle \int_0^{\pi} \lim_{r\to 0} f_r(\theta)\, d\theta = \int_0^{\pi} -1\, d\theta = -\pi.\)

If you try to use the monotone convergence theorem or Fatou's lemma for this problem, it'll have to be applied to the real and imaginary parts of $f_r$, separately.

chisigma said:
The case was...

In general, you should not smuggle a limit past an integral without some justification such as the theorems suggested by Ackbach. But you can justify the above result (1) by a direct argument.

If $z = re^{i\theta}$ then \(\displaystyle e^{i r e^{i\ \theta}} - 1 = e^{iz}-1 = \cos z - 1 + i\sin z.\) As $z\to0,$ $\cos z = 1 + O(|z|^2)$ and $\sin z = z + O(|z|^3)$. Thus $$\frac{\cos z - 1 + i\sin z}{|z|} = \frac{iz}{|z|} + O(|z|) = ie^{i\theta} + O(|z|),$$ so that $$i\int_0^\pi \frac{e^{i r e^{i\ \theta}} - 1}r\,e^{-i\theta}\,d\theta = i\int_0^\pi \bigl(ie^{i\theta} + O(|z|) \bigr) e^{-i\theta}\,d\theta = -\pi + O(|z|).$$ As $r = |z| \to0$, this converges to $-\pi$, as required.

I think that the above argument amounts to the assertion that the limit \(\displaystyle \lim_{r\to0} \frac{e^{i r e^{i\ \theta}} - 1}r = ie^{i\theta}\) is uniform in $\theta$. That will allow one of Ackbach's theorems to apply.

Last edited:

Related to Is Swapping Limits and Integrals Justified in Complex Analysis?

1. What is the purpose of following proper procedure in scientific experiments?

Following proper procedure is crucial in scientific experiments because it ensures accuracy, reliability, and reproducibility of results. It also allows for the identification and elimination of potential errors, making the experiment more valid and credible.

2. How do scientists determine what the proper procedure is for a specific experiment?

Scientists determine the proper procedure for an experiment by conducting extensive research, consulting previous studies, and considering the principles and theories relevant to the experiment. They may also perform pilot studies to refine the procedure before conducting the actual experiment.

3. Can the proper procedure for an experiment change over time?

Yes, the proper procedure for an experiment can change over time as new technologies, techniques, and knowledge are developed. It is important for scientists to continuously review and update their procedures to ensure accuracy and efficiency.

4. Are there consequences for not following proper procedure in scientific experiments?

Yes, there can be serious consequences for not following proper procedure in scientific experiments. It can lead to inaccurate or unreliable results, which can impact the validity of the study and hinder scientific progress. It can also potentially lead to ethical issues and harm to individuals or the environment.

5. Is following proper procedure only important in scientific experiments?

No, following proper procedure is important in many aspects of scientific research, including data analysis, statistical tests, and publication of results. It is also important in other fields, such as medicine, engineering, and technology, to ensure safety, accuracy, and reliability of processes and products.