Kannan mapping and quasi-nonexpansive mapping

• MHB
  • Thread starter ozkan12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mapping
In summary: Dear Ackbach,In summary, the quasi nonexpansive operator $T:X\to X$ is a operator that has at least one fixed point in X, and for each fixed point p, we have $d(Tx,p)\le d(x,p)$ for each x $\in$ X.
ozkan12
Definition of Kannan Mapping

Let (X,d) be a complete metric space...İf for each $x,y\in X$ following condition holds, then $T:X\to X$ is Kannan mapping

$d(Tx,Ty)\le\alpha\left[d\left(x,Tx\right),d(\left(y,Ty\right)\right)]$ $\alpha\in[0,\frac{1}{2})$

Definition of Quasi-Nonexpansive Mapping

An operator $T:X\to X$ is said to be quasi nonexpansive if T has at least one fixed point in X and, for each fixed point p, we have

$d(Tx,p)\le d(x,p)$ for each x $\in$ X.

İf T is a Kannan mapping, then T is a quasi nonexpansive operator.Proof:

İndeed, if T is a Kannan operator, then from definition of Kannan mapping with y=p in set of fixed point of T we get

$d(Tx,p)\le\alpha d\left(x,Tx\right)\le\alpha\left[d(x,p)+d(p,Tx)\right]$ and hence

$d\left(Tx,p\right)\le\frac{\alpha}{1-\alpha}d\left(x,p\right)<d(x,p)$İn there we get d(Tx,p)<d(x,p)...But in definition of quasi nonexpansive operator we use "$\le$"...But in last step we use "<" İn this case how we say that every kannan mapping is a quasi non expansive operator

Physics news on Phys.org
$< \; \implies \; \le$. That is, $<$ is a stronger condition than $\le$, and implies it. You could just as well have used the weaker $\le$ in the very last line.

Dear Ackbach,

First of all, Thank you for your attention...

How "$<$" implies $\le$ ? İn nigt, I thougt that how we write this inequeality...Then I found some articles...İf we take p=x in

$$d(Tx,p)<d(x,p)$$ then we get $d(Tx,p)=d(x,p)=0$...So, we get $d(Tx,p)\le d(x,p)$...

But, how "$<\implies \le$" ? I didnt understand...as you say I can use " $\le$" in last inequeality...That is, I can write $d\left(Tx,p\right)\le d\left(x,p\right)$...İs this true ? Thank you for your attention..$<\implies \le$

Last edited:
This is a property of logic. In Natural Deduction, we call it the "Disjunction Introduction Rule". Copi calls it something else. It goes like this:

A implies A or B. If A is true, then A or B is true.

If $x<y$ is true, then it is also true that either $x<y$ or $x=y$. That is, if $x<y$ is true, then $x\le y$. Therefore, $x<y \; \implies \; x\le y$. So, my shorthand notation there, $< \; \implies \; \le$ is what I meant.

Dear Ackbach,

That is, we can use $\le$ instead of $<$ in last inequality...

Also, can we say that if we take x=p, we will obtain last inequality ? Thank you for your attention...

Dear Ackbach

İf $x\le y$ then we can say $x<y$ or $x=y$..İn my research it is not as you say...

If $x\le y$, then you can say $x<y$ or $x=y$, but you don't know which. It could be either. You definitely CANNOT narrow it down to only one of those two possibilities.

yes, this is true...but we don't say if $x<y$ then $x<y$ or $x=y$ ...And still in first post is strange for me ...

Related to Kannan mapping and quasi-nonexpansive mapping

What is Kannan mapping?

Kannan mapping is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function that maps a set onto itself. In simpler terms, it is a way to analyze how a function transforms one set of values into another set of values.

What is a quasi-nonexpansive mapping?

A quasi-nonexpansive mapping is a type of function that does not significantly increase the distance between points in a set. This means that the image of a point under the function is not significantly farther from the original point than the point itself.

How are Kannan mapping and quasi-nonexpansive mapping related?

Kannan mapping is often used to analyze the behavior of quasi-nonexpansive mappings. This is because both concepts are concerned with how a function transforms a set of values, and they both involve measuring distances between points in a set.

What are the applications of Kannan mapping and quasi-nonexpansive mapping?

These concepts have many applications in fields such as optimization, control theory, and functional analysis. They are often used to analyze the behavior of algorithms, such as gradient descent, and to prove the convergence of numerical methods.

Are there any limitations to using Kannan mapping and quasi-nonexpansive mapping?

Like any mathematical concept, there are certain limitations to using Kannan mapping and quasi-nonexpansive mapping. One limitation is that they may not be applicable to all types of functions or sets. Additionally, they rely on certain assumptions and may not accurately describe real-world scenarios.