Laminar flow exits an inclined tube

In summary, the fluid exits the top of the inclined tube following a Poiseuille flow. The fountain is high compared to the diameter of the pipe, so there is a good reason to expect a large deviation from a ballistic trajectory. However, close to the exit, the fluid falls back on the stream, and it is not possible to avoid numerical simulations.
arthurchen
I am working on a problem in which viscous flow comes out from an inclined tube, forming some kind of a fountain. In the tube the fluid is Newtonian and the flow can be treated as Poiseuille flow. I want to study the movement of the fluid after it leaves the tube. Can someone point me about the existing study and research on this? Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It comes out from the top end of the inclined tube?

siddharth23 said:
It comes out from the top end of the inclined tube?
Yes

Is the fountain very high/large compared to the diameter of the pipe? Is there a good reason to expect a large deviation from a ballistic trajectory?

mfb said:
Is the fountain very high/large compared to the diameter of the pipe? Is there a good reason to expect a large deviation from a ballistic trajectory?
I attached a photo of the experiment I am trying to model. The fluid has significant deformation.

Attachments

• source.JPG
    source.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 425
Oh, and with a surface nearby, then things get complicated.

mfb said:
Oh, and with a surface nearby, then things get complicated.
Yes. Is it possible to get some asymptotic relation of the depth averaged radial exit velocity (parallel to the surface) distribution? I mean, if the surface is horizontal, surely the exit velocity is a constant and depth are the same. When the surface has an inclination [itex]\alpha[/itex], my guess is that the flux per length behaves like
[tex]Q=\oint\boldsymbol{n}\cdot\boldsymbol{u}h dl\sim\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}\Gamma(\alpha,\theta)rd\theta,[/tex]
where [itex]r[/itex] is the radius of the tube, and the flux [itex]\Gamma[/itex] satisfies
[tex]\Gamma(\alpha,-\pi)=\Gamma(\alpha,\pi)=0,\,\Gamma(\alpha,-\theta)=\Gamma(\alpha,\theta),\,\Gamma(0,\theta)=\text{constant}.[/tex]

I do not need to solve the exact trajectory of the fluid, an approximated distribution of [itex]\Gamma[/itex] is enough.

Inside the tube and far away from the exit, flux should still follow a parabolic profile. Close to the exit, things get different. For a horizontal surface, the exiting water will fall back on the stream, and then I don't see how you could avoid numerical simulations. Those are a good idea for inclined planes as well, I think.

Related to Laminar flow exits an inclined tube

1. What is laminar flow exiting an inclined tube?

Laminar flow exiting an inclined tube refers to the smooth, orderly flow of a fluid (such as water or air) as it exits a tube that is positioned at an angle, rather than vertically.

2. How is laminar flow different from turbulent flow?

Laminar flow is characterized by smooth, parallel layers of fluid that flow in the same direction, while turbulent flow is characterized by chaotic, irregular movements of the fluid. Laminar flow is typically more efficient and predictable, while turbulent flow can be more turbulent and difficult to control.

3. Why does laminar flow exit an inclined tube?

Laminar flow exits an inclined tube because of the force of gravity acting on the fluid. As the fluid travels down the tube, it is pulled downwards by gravity, causing it to exit the tube at an angle.

4. What factors affect laminar flow exiting an inclined tube?

The angle of the tube, the viscosity of the fluid, and the flow rate of the fluid can all affect laminar flow exiting an inclined tube. Roughness of the tube walls and any obstructions in the tube can also impact the flow.

5. What is the significance of studying laminar flow exiting an inclined tube?

Understanding laminar flow exiting an inclined tube is important in many fields, including fluid mechanics, aerodynamics, and industrial design. It can help engineers and scientists optimize the design of pipes, channels, and other structures to improve fluid flow and efficiency.