LaTeX help....larger bracketing symbols

In summary, the conversation discusses how to make brackets bigger in LaTeX and the various methods to achieve this, including using \left and \right commands or manually setting the size with \Bigl and \Bigr. The conversation also mentions the use of \middle and how to denote an invisible delimiter with a period.
Petrus
Hello MHB,
I am curious how I can make these "[" "]" bigger in latex cause it does not look nice when I do it. Exemple:
\(\displaystyle [3xy+\frac{3x}{3y}\ln(2)]_{\frac{x^2}{3}}^x\)
Notice just I did just type some number but how can I make it a lot nicer in latex cause that does not really look good.

Regards,

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: Latex help

Petrus said:
Hello MHB,
I am curious how I can make these "[" "]" bigger in latex cause it does not look nice when I do it. Exemple:
\(\displaystyle [3xy+\frac{3x}{3y}\ln(2)]_{\frac{x^2}{3}}^x\)
Notice just I did just type some number but how can I make it a lot nicer in latex cause that does not really look good.

Regards,
\left[ and \right] will set the size automatically: \(\displaystyle \left[3xy+\frac{3x}{3y}\ln(2)\right]_{\frac{x^2}{3}}^x\).

Alternatively, you can set the size manually, using commands like \Bigl[ and \Bigr], which will give \(\displaystyle \Bigl[3xy+\frac{3x}{3y}\ln(2)\Bigr]_{\frac{x^2}{3}}^x\). The available sizes, in increasing order, are \bigl and \bigr, \Bigl and \Bigr, \biggl and \biggr, \Biggl and \Biggr.

Last edited by a moderator:

One question , can we just scale up one bracket ?

EDIT , sorry I didn't realize that Opalg already posted that .

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks evryone for the answer! I will try memorize this method :)Regards,

Opalg said:
\left[ and \right] will set the size automatically: \(\displaystyle \left[3xy+\frac{3x}{3y}\ln(2)\right]_{\frac{x^2}{3}}^x\).
To add to this, there is also \middle:
\[
P\left(A=2\middle|\frac{A^2}{B}>4\right)
\]

and "If a delimiter on only one side of an expression is required, then an invisible delimiter on the other side may be denoted using a period (.)":
\[
\left.\frac{x^3}{3}\right|_0^1
\]
(Wikibooks).

Evgeny.Makarov said:
and "If a delimiter on only one side of an expression is required, then an invisible delimiter on the other side may be denoted using a period (.)":
\[
\left.\frac{x^3}{3}\right|_0^1
\]...

Thank you tremendously...I had encountered this problem for example with:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}|_{x=1}\)

where using only the \left command would not render. Now I may write:

\(\displaystyle \left.\frac{dy}{dx} \right|_{x=1}\)

Very helpful tip...most appreciated! (Yes)

Related to LaTeX help....larger bracketing symbols

What are bracketing symbols in LaTeX?

Bracketing symbols in LaTeX are used to enclose mathematical expressions, equations, and symbols. These symbols help to organize and clarify the structure of mathematical expressions in a document.

How do I make larger bracketing symbols in LaTeX?

To make larger bracketing symbols in LaTeX, you can use the \left and \right commands before and after the bracketing symbol. These commands automatically adjust the size of the bracketing symbol to fit the enclosed expression.

Can I customize the size of bracketing symbols in LaTeX?

Yes, you can customize the size of bracketing symbols in LaTeX by using the \big, \Big, \bigg, and \Bigg commands before the bracketing symbol. These commands allow you to manually adjust the size of the bracketing symbol.

What are some common bracketing symbols used in LaTeX?

Some common bracketing symbols used in LaTeX include parentheses (), square brackets [], and curly braces {}. These symbols are used to enclose different types of mathematical expressions, such as fractions, matrices, and equations.

Is there a limit to the size of bracketing symbols in LaTeX?

There is no limit to the size of bracketing symbols in LaTeX. However, it is important to use appropriate sizes for readability and to avoid overwhelming the document with large symbols.