Latex Strikethrough: Is it Possible?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Saitama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    latex
In summary, the conversation discusses different options for creating a strikethrough effect in LaTeX. The options mentioned include using the symbols "xy" with "rlap" to create a horizontal strikethrough, or using a series of hyphens with "rlap" or the packages "ulem" and "soul" for text, and "cancel" for math. The user also suggests using their own defined command, "\dslash", for creating a strikethrough.
Saitama
Is it somehow possible to do it in LATEX? I googled it but I couldn't find anything that would work for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

closest thing I found with a quick google was either:

##\displaystyle \rlap{/}xy##
Code:
\rlap{/}xy

which can be repeated like so: ##\displaystyle \rlap{//}xy##
Code:
\rlap{//}xy

or a series of hyphens will create something a bit like a horizontal strikethrough, bit fiddley trying to get the right number of hyphens though:##\displaystyle \rlap{---} xyzabc##

Code:
\displaystyle \rlap{---} xyzabc
Using \text{} around the hyphens seems to make them a bit smaller and they look more like a solid line on my browser:

##\displaystyle \rlap{\text{---------}} xyzabc##

Code:
\displaystyle \rlap{\text{---------}} xyzabc

Thanks trollcast! :smile:

if you mean "real latex", use packages "ulem" or "soul" for text, and "cancel" for math.

If you measn "PF latex", what trollcast said.

I defined mine in my papers as :
[tex]
\not \negmedspace \partial
[/tex]
Code:
\not \negmedspace \partial

which seems to work here as well

Code:
\def\dslash{\not\negmedspace}

Related to Latex Strikethrough: Is it Possible?

1. What is Latex Strikethrough?

Latex Strikethrough is a feature in the Latex typesetting system that allows users to put a line through text, indicating that it is no longer relevant or accurate.

2. How do I use Latex Strikethrough?

To use Latex Strikethrough, you can use the command \sout{your text here} within your Latex document. This will put a line through the text that follows the command.

3. Is Latex Strikethrough supported in all Latex editors?

Yes, Latex Strikethrough is a standard feature in all Latex editors, such as Overleaf, ShareLatex, and Texmaker. However, the specific command may vary slightly between different editors.

4. Can I customize the appearance of Latex Strikethrough?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of Latex Strikethrough by using different packages or commands in your Latex document. For example, the soul package allows you to change the color and thickness of the strikethrough line.

5. Is Latex Strikethrough possible in other document formats?

Latex Strikethrough is a feature specific to the Latex typesetting system, so it is not possible in other document formats like Microsoft Word or Google Docs. However, some text editors, such as Sublime Text, have plugins that allow you to use Latex commands, including strikethrough, in non-Latex documents.