Least upper bound - greatest lower bound duality

In summary: This is because, by definition, $S$ is the set of all elements that we are considering. Therefore, any subset of $S$ must also be a subset of $S$. So, $L$ must be a subset of $S$. Therefore, by the LUB property, $L$ has a supremum in $S$. In summary, the proof uses the fact that $L$ is a subset of $S$ in order to conclude that $L$ has a supremum in $S$.
OhMyMarkov
Hello everyone!

There's a point I didn't get in Rudin's theorem 1.11 that says:

Suppose S is an ordered set with the LUB property, and B $\subset$ S, B is not empty and B is bounded below. Let L be the set of lower bounds of B. Then a = sup L exists in S, and a - inf B. In particular inf B exists in S.Now the proof states that L is not empty (which is fine by me) and bounded above (fine by me too), hence "our hypothesis about S implies therefore that L has a supremum in S;"

Who said that L $\subset$ S so we can make this strong conclusion?! (Crying)(Crying)

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
OhMyMarkov said:
Hello everyone!

There's a point I didn't get in Rudin's theorem 1.11 that says:

Suppose S is an ordered set with the LUB property, and B $\subset$ S, B is not empty and B is bounded below. Let L be the set of lower bounds of B. Then a = sup L exists in S, and a - inf B. In particular inf B exists in S.Now the proof states that L is not empty (which is fine by me) and bounded above (fine by me too), hence "our hypothesis about S implies therefore that L has a supremum in S;"

Who said that L $\subset$ S so we can make this strong conclusion?! (Crying)(Crying)

Thanks!
When we say that $B$ is bounded below, I think its implicit that we mean "B is bounded below in S", that is, in other words, "there is an element in S which is a lower bound to B". For otherwise it would make no sense. We have no idea what is outside S. No order relation is defined which compares elements outside S with elements in S. This is a completely abstract setting. Similarly when we say "Let L be the set of all lower bounds of B", (I think) we mean "Let L be the set of all the lower bounds of B which are in S".
It automatically follows that $L\subseteq S$.

Related to Least upper bound - greatest lower bound duality

1. What is the least upper bound - greatest lower bound duality?

The least upper bound - greatest lower bound duality is a concept in mathematics, specifically in the field of order theory. It states that for any partially ordered set, there exists a dual partially ordered set with the same elements, but where the direction of all relationships is reversed. This means that if A is greater than or equal to B in the original set, then in the dual set, B is less than or equal to A.

2. Why is the least upper bound - greatest lower bound duality important?

This duality is important because it allows us to understand and analyze mathematical concepts from different perspectives. It also helps to simplify and generalize certain mathematical problems by transforming them into their dual counterparts. Additionally, this duality is essential in many areas of mathematics, such as analysis, topology, and set theory.

3. How is the least upper bound - greatest lower bound duality related to the concept of supremum and infimum?

The greatest lower bound of a set is also known as the infimum, while the least upper bound is known as the supremum. The duality arises because the supremum and infimum of a set can be defined in terms of each other. For instance, the supremum of a set is the infimum of the set's dual, and vice versa.

4. Can the least upper bound - greatest lower bound duality be applied to infinite sets?

Yes, this duality can be applied to infinite sets as well. In fact, it is often used in the context of infinite sets in mathematics. The concept of supremum and infimum is particularly useful in defining limits and continuity in calculus, which deals with infinite sets of real numbers.

5. Is the least upper bound - greatest lower bound duality a fundamental property of all partially ordered sets?

Yes, the least upper bound - greatest lower bound duality is a fundamental property of all partially ordered sets. It is a consequence of the basic axioms and definitions of partially ordered sets, and it holds true for all such sets. This duality is a powerful tool that allows us to generalize and extend our understanding of partially ordered sets and their properties.