Lebesgue Outer Measure .... Carothers, Proposition 16.2 (i) ....

• I
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Measure
In summary: Therefore, ##m^*(E) \in [0,\infty]## and thus ranges from ##0## to ##\infty##.QEDIn summary, we discussed Proposition 16.2 (i) from N. L. Carothers' book "Real Analysis" and the difficulty of constructing a rigorous proof for it. We then provided a hint and a proof of the lemma necessary to prove the proposition. Finally, using the lemma, we were able to establish that the Lebesgue outer measure ranges from ##0## to ##\infty##.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
TL;DR Summary
I need help in order to construct and express a valid, convincing, formal and rigorous proof to Carothers Proposition 16.2 (i) ...
I am reading N. L. Carothers' book: "Real Analysis". ... ...

I am focused on Chapter 16: Lebesgue Measure ... ...

I need help with the proof of Proposition 16.2 part (i) ...

Proposition 16.2 and its proof read as follows:
Carothers - Proposition 16.2 ... .png

Carothers does not prove Proposition 16.2 (i) above ...

Although it seems intuitively obvious, I am unable to construct and express a valid, convincing, formal and rigorous proof of the result ...

Can someone please demonstrate a formal and rigorous proof of Proposition 16.2 (i) above ...

Peter
========================================================================================================It may help readers of the above post to have access to Carothers introduction to Lebesgue outer measure ... so I am providing the same as follows:
Carothers - Proposition 16.1 ... .png

Hope that helps ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Math Amateur said:
I am unable to construct and express a valid, convincing, formal and rigorous proof of the result
But you should at least make an attempt.

Hint: If ##\emptyset \neq A \subseteq [0,\infty]##, then ##\inf(A)\geq 0##.

I leave the easy proof of this fact to you.

Likes Math Amateur
Math_QED said:
Hint: If ##\emptyset \neq A \subseteq [0,\infty]##, then ##\inf(A)\geq 0##.

I leave the easy proof of this fact to you.
Thanks for the hint Math_QED ...

We need to prove the following ...

If ##\emptyset \neq A\subseteq [0,\infty]##, then ##\inf(A)\geq 0##

Proof

Assume ##\text{inf} (A) \lt 0##

Then there exists ##x \in A## such that ##\text{inf} (A) \lt x \lt 0## ...

... contradiction as there are no negative numbers in ##A## ...

Therefore ##\inf(A)\geq 0## ...Could also prove this in the same way for ##m^*(E)## ...

This would establish that ##m^*(E) \geq 0## ...

But that would not necessarily mean that ##m^*(E)## ranges from ##0## to ##\infty## ...

So ... how do we proceed from here ...?

PeterEDIT

To prove that ##m^*(E)## ranges from ##0## to ##\infty## ... would it be sufficient to note that

##m^*([a, b]) = m^*((a, b)) = b - a## for ##a, b \in \mathbb{R}## where ##a \lt b##

... and that ##m^*( \emptyset ) = 0## ... and ##m^*( ( 0, \infty ) ) = \infty - 0 = \infty##

Does that complete the proof?

Peter

Last edited:
Math Amateur said:
Thanks for the hint Math_QED ...

We need to prove the following ...

If ##\emptyset \neq A\subseteq [0,\infty]##, then ##\inf(A)\geq 0##

Proof

Assume ##\text{inf} (A) \lt 0##

Then there exists ##x \in A## such that ##\text{inf} (A) \lt x \lt 0## ...

... contradiction as there are no negative numbers in ##A## ...

Therefore ##\inf(A)\geq 0## ...Could also prove this in the same way for ##m^*(E)## ...

This would establish that ##m^*(E) \geq 0## ...

But that would not necessarily mean that ##m^*(E)## ranges from ##0## to ##\infty## ...

So ... how do we proceed from here ...?

PeterEDIT

To prove that ##m^*(E)## ranges from ##0## to ##\infty## ... would it be sufficient to note that

##m^*([a, b]) = m^*((a, b)) = b - a## for ##a, b \in \mathbb{R}## where ##a \lt b##

... and that ##m^*( \emptyset ) = 0## ... and ##m^*( ( 0, \infty ) ) = \infty - 0 = \infty##

Does that complete the proof?

Peter

If ##A\subseteq [0,\infty]##, then ##0## is a lower bound of ##A## hence...

Likes Math Amateur
Math_QED said:
If ##A\subseteq [0,\infty]##, then ##0## is a lower bound of ##A## hence...

Oh ... OK ... then ##m^* (A) \geq 0## ...

But ... does that necessarily prove that ##m^* (A)## ranges from ##0## to ##\infty##?

Peter

I'll be very explicit now.

Lemma: Let ##\emptyset \neq A \subseteq [0, \infty]##. Then ##\inf A \in [0, \infty]##.
Proof: ##0## is a lower bound for ##A##, hence by definition of infinum as greatest lower bound ##\inf(A) \geq 0##. ##\quad \square##

Apply the lemma with ##A:= \{\sum_{n=1}^\infty l(I_n): E \subseteq \bigcup_{n=1}^\infty I_n\}##. Then you obtain ##\infty \geq m^*(E)= \inf(A) \geq 0##.

Likes Math Amateur

Related to Lebesgue Outer Measure .... Carothers, Proposition 16.2 (i) ....

1. What is Lebesgue Outer Measure?

Lebesgue Outer Measure is a mathematical concept used in the field of measure theory to assign a numerical value to a set in a given space. It is a generalization of the concept of length, area, and volume to more abstract spaces.

2. Who is Carothers?

Carothers refers to L. N. Carothers, a mathematician who is known for his work in functional analysis and measure theory. He is the author of the book "Real Analysis" which is a widely used textbook in the field of analysis.

3. What is Proposition 16.2 (i)?

Proposition 16.2 (i) is a statement in Carothers' book "Real Analysis" which states that the Lebesgue Outer Measure of a countable union of sets is less than or equal to the sum of the Lebesgue Outer Measures of each set. In other words, the outer measure of a countable union is always less than or equal to the sum of the outer measures of its individual sets.

4. How is Lebesgue Outer Measure calculated?

The Lebesgue Outer Measure of a set is calculated by taking the infimum of the sum of the lengths of a countable collection of intervals that cover the set. In simpler terms, it is the smallest possible sum of the lengths of intervals that covers the set.

5. What is the significance of Lebesgue Outer Measure?

Lebesgue Outer Measure is an important concept in measure theory as it allows for the measurement of sets in abstract spaces. It is used in various areas of mathematics, including probability theory, topology, and functional analysis. It also plays a crucial role in the development of the Lebesgue Measure, which is a more refined measure that overcomes some of the limitations of the traditional notion of length, area, and volume.