Length of time to burn fuel in a fusion reactor

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the time it takes to burn a fuel source in a fusion reactor, given the composition of the fuel and the designated power output. It is suggested to check the fusion yield per fusion process and the mass of the fusing particles to calculate the energy output. The individual mentions having difficulty approaching the problem and seeks assistance, but later realizes they can find the energy output by finding the mass deficit. They also question whether the amount of fuel affects the time it takes to burn, and clarify that the conversation is not a homework question but rather a personal quest for knowledge.
clarinethero
If I have a fusion reactor running at some designated power output (let's say, for instance, 5x10^8 Watts), how can I find how long it takes to burn a fuel source provided I know the composition of the fuel. For this example, let me just say I have half deuterium and half tritium?

I'm not really sure how to approach this. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can check the fusion yield per fusion process (via the particle masses, or just look it up), and you can check the mass of the fusing particles.

Is this homework? Then it should go to the homework section, and written according to the homework template.

I understand I can find the energy output from the fusion of deuterium and tritium by finding the mass deficit. This got me 2.818x10^-12 J for the reaction, but the numerical details are not important. I was going to do what you mentioned, so I'm good to go I think.

My only remaining question is: The amount of time it would take is dependent on how much fuel I have, correct? Worded differently, my answer is going to be a function of mass of fuel? I'd imagine that the more fuel I have the longer it would take to burn to completion given a constant power output.

I wasn't sure where to post this, but it's not homework. It's the summer and school's out for me (I'm also not a physics major, hence me asking this), but I'm trying to learn more about more about fusion and plasma. So, to do so I found a question that, in it, had my original question and was unsure how to approach it. Maybe it would have been better to post in the homework help section anyway. I also made up the numbers.

Last edited:
It definitely qualifies as a homework like question.

Noted

Related to Length of time to burn fuel in a fusion reactor

1. How long does it take for fuel to burn in a fusion reactor?

The length of time for fuel to burn in a fusion reactor varies depending on the specific reactor design and conditions. However, on average, it takes about 5-10 years for a fusion reactor to consume all of its fuel.

2. What factors affect the length of time it takes for fuel to burn in a fusion reactor?

The main factors that affect the fuel burning time in a fusion reactor include the type of fuel being used, the reactor's design and size, and the temperature and pressure conditions inside the reactor.

3. Can the length of time for fuel to burn in a fusion reactor be controlled?

Yes, the length of time for fuel to burn in a fusion reactor can be controlled through various means, such as adjusting the reactor's temperature and pressure, optimizing the reactor design, and using different types of fuels.

4. How does the length of time for fuel to burn in a fusion reactor compare to that of a traditional nuclear reactor?

The length of time for fuel to burn in a fusion reactor is significantly longer than that of a traditional nuclear reactor. Fusion reactions release much more energy per unit of fuel, allowing them to operate for much longer periods without refueling.

5. Is there a limit to the length of time a fusion reactor can burn fuel?

In theory, there is no limit to the length of time a fusion reactor can burn fuel. As long as the reactor is properly maintained and supplied with fuel, it can continue to operate indefinitely. However, practical limitations such as wear and tear on the reactor components may require occasional maintenance and fuel replacement.