Light absorbtion and change in temperature of liquids

In summary, the conversation discusses the goal of differentiating between two liquids by touch, specifically through temperature, after shining a light on them. A thermometer cannot be used, so the variables being considered are the composition of the liquids (black and white) and the light used. The speakers also discuss the importance of a significant temperature difference that can be perceived by the human hand. The ultimate goal is to determine the necessary composition and light to achieve this differentiation.
Rodwen
Hi hi,

Sorry if this is awful and boring. Basically what I want to work out is a way to differentiate two different liquids by touch (specifically, temperature) after shining a light on them. A thermometer cannot be used. The variables open here are the compositions of the liquid (I'm going with colour differences - perhaps a black and a white) and the light used. I also need to consider what effect the containers would have on this experiment.

Any ideas, riffing off my black/white idea here, or other thoughts?

Science news on Phys.org
Rodwen said:
A thermometer cannot be used.
Rodwen said:
by touch (specifically, temperature)
Which is it?

Bystander said:
Which is it?

It's both! What I mean is that the temperature difference must be large enough to be perceived by the human hand. It cannot be a minute difference measurable only by a thermometer. :)

I'm confused about what you're wanting to do. Are you wanting to shine light one two liquid samples for the same period of time and then figure out which one is which just based on the temperature?

Drakkith said:
I'm confused about what you're wanting to do. Are you wanting to shine light one two liquid samples for the same period of time and then figure out which one is which just based on the temperature?
In a nutshell, yes. The question is what the composition of the liquids would need to be and what the light would need to be in order to achieve this.

Related to Light absorbtion and change in temperature of liquids

1. What is light absorption?

Light absorption is the process by which a substance takes in and retains light energy. This energy is then converted into heat, causing the temperature of the substance to increase.

2. How does light absorption affect the temperature of liquids?

When a liquid absorbs light, the energy is converted into heat. This causes the molecules in the liquid to vibrate and move faster, which increases the overall temperature of the liquid.

3. What factors can affect the amount of light absorption in a liquid?

The amount of light absorption in a liquid can be affected by the color and thickness of the liquid, the wavelength and intensity of the light, and the presence of any substances that may interfere with the absorption process.

4. Can light absorption cause a significant change in temperature of a liquid?

Yes, light absorption can cause a significant change in temperature of a liquid. The extent of the temperature change depends on the properties of the liquid and the amount of light energy being absorbed.

5. Are there any practical applications of light absorption and change in temperature of liquids?

Yes, light absorption and the resulting change in temperature of liquids have various practical applications. For example, this phenomenon is utilized in solar water heaters, where the absorbed light energy is used to heat water. It is also important in processes such as photosynthesis, where plants absorb light energy to convert it into chemical energy.