Limit using the Sohotski-Plemenj formula

In summary: P-i \epsilon)x} \right] - i \pi \exp\{ -\beta \cdot 0^2 \} \frac{1}{\alpha+(P-i \cdot 0)x} $$$$ = P.V. \int_{0}^{\infty} \mathrm{d}x \, \exp \{ -\beta x^2 \} \left[ \frac{1}{\alpha+Px} \right] - i \pi \frac{1}{\alpha+0} $$$$ = P.V. \int_{0}^{\infty} \mathrm{d
muzialis
Hi All, I am desperate to understand a calculation presented in a paper by Sethna, "Elastic theory has zero radius of convergence", freely available online

$$ lim_{\epsilon \to +0}Z(-P+i\epsilon) = lim_{\epsilon \to +0} \int_{0}^{\infty} \mathrm{d}x \, \int_{0}^{\infty} \mathrm{d}y \exp \{ -\alpha y -\beta x^2 - y(-P+i \epsilon)x \}$$

The author says use is to be made of the Theorem

$$ \lim_{\epsilon \to +0} \int \mathrm{d}x f(x)/(x+i \epsilon) = P.V. \int \mathrm{d}x f(x)/x -i \pi f(0) $$

but how to get there?

My best attempt is to integrate on the y variable, obtaining

$$ lim_{\epsilon \to +0} \int_{0}^{\infty} \mathrm{d}x \, \exp \{ -\beta x^2 \} [- \frac{1}{-\alpha-(-P+i \epsilon)x} ]$$

To use the Theorem I need the denominator to be of the form y + i*epsilon, which is not as in the attempt I try the variable of Integration is multiplied by epsilon so I am unable to proceed.

I am even more puzzled because if I set epsilon to zero, the integral I wrote coincides with the P.V. integral reported in the paper as the P.V. contribution in the Sohotski-Plemelj formula.

How to calculate that limit then?

Any help would be so appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
.Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for help with this calculation. The theorem mentioned in the paper is known as the Sokhotski-Plemelj formula, and it is a useful tool for calculating integrals with singularities. Here's how you can use it to calculate the limit in question:

First, let's rewrite the integral in a slightly different form:

$$ lim_{\epsilon \to +0}Z(-P+i\epsilon) = lim_{\epsilon \to +0} \int_{0}^{\infty} \mathrm{d}x \, \int_{0}^{\infty} \mathrm{d}y \exp \{ -\alpha y -\beta x^2 - y(-P+i \epsilon)x \}$$

$$ = lim_{\epsilon \to +0} \int_{0}^{\infty} \mathrm{d}x \, \int_{0}^{\infty} \mathrm{d}y \exp \{ -\beta x^2 \} \exp \{-\alpha y - y(-P+i \epsilon)x \} $$

Next, we can use the Sokhotski-Plemelj formula to rewrite the second exponential term in the integrand as a principal value integral:

$$ = lim_{\epsilon \to +0} \int_{0}^{\infty} \mathrm{d}x \, \int_{0}^{\infty} \mathrm{d}y \exp \{ -\beta x^2 \} \left[ \frac{-1}{-\alpha-(-P+i \epsilon)x} \right] $$

$$ = lim_{\epsilon \to +0} \int_{0}^{\infty} \mathrm{d}x \, \int_{0}^{\infty} \mathrm{d}y \exp \{ -\beta x^2 \} \left[ \frac{1}{\alpha+(P-i \epsilon)x} \right] $$

Now, we can use the theorem mentioned in the paper to calculate the limit of this integral:

$$ = P.V. \int_{0}^{\infty} \mathrm{d}x \, \int_{0}^{\infty} \mathrm{d}y \exp \{ -\beta

Related to Limit using the Sohotski-Plemenj formula

1. What is the Sohotski-Plemenj formula?

The Sohotski-Plemenj formula is a mathematical equation used to calculate the limit of a sequence of numbers that follows a specific pattern. It is named after the mathematicians Aleksandr Sohotski and Ivan Plemenj.

2. How do you use the Sohotski-Plemenj formula?

To use the Sohotski-Plemenj formula, you must first determine the pattern of the sequence. Then, plug in the values of the sequence into the formula and solve for the limit.

3. What are the benefits of using the Sohotski-Plemenj formula?

The Sohotski-Plemenj formula can be used to quickly and accurately calculate the limit of a sequence without having to go through the traditional methods of finding limits, such as using L'Hôpital's rule or graphing the sequence.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Sohotski-Plemenj formula?

While the Sohotski-Plemenj formula is a useful tool for finding limits, it can only be used for sequences that follow a specific pattern. If the sequence does not follow this pattern, the formula will not work and you will have to use other methods to find the limit.

5. Can the Sohotski-Plemenj formula be used for infinite sequences?

Yes, the Sohotski-Plemenj formula can be used to find the limit of infinite sequences, as long as the sequence follows the necessary pattern. However, if the sequence has an undefined limit, the formula will not work and other methods will need to be used.