Limits of Sequences .... Sohrab Exercise 2.2.7

In summary: N ...| \frac{ 1 }{ 1 + na } - 0 | = \frac{ 1 }{ 1 + na } \lt \frac{ 1 }{ na } = ( \frac{ 1 }{ n } ) ( \frac{ 1 }{ a } ) \lt \epsilon^* ( \frac{ 1 }{ a } ) = \epsilon a ( \frac{ 1 }{ a } ) = \epsilon Is that correct?No.This is because $|\frac{1}{1+na}-0|eq \frac{1}{1+na}$.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Houshang H. Sohrab's book: "Basic Real Analysis" (Second Edition).

I am focused on Chapter 2: Sequences and Series of Real Numbers ... ...

I need help with a part of Exercise 2.2.7 Part (1) ... ...

Exercise 2.2.7 Part (1) reads as follows:View attachment 7189I have managed a solution to this exercise and am posting it because

(1) I am unsure that the proof is valid/correct ... particularly given my arithmetic on \epsilon ...

(2) I did not use Sohrab's hint ... and that concerns me ... but I am also interested in how Bernoulli's Inequality is used in this proof ... I can see how to simply involve Bernoulli's Inequality, but not how to use it profitably ...

My proof is as follows:

To show \(\displaystyle \text{lim } ( \frac{ 1 }{ 1 + na } ) = 0\) where \(\displaystyle n \in \mathbb{N} \) ...

We have \(\displaystyle | \frac{ 1 }{ 1 + na } - 0 | = \frac{ 1 }{ 1 + na } \lt \frac{ 1 }{ na }\)

Now for \(\displaystyle \epsilon \gt 0\) let \(\displaystyle \frac{ 1 }{ na } \lt \epsilon\)

Then let \(\displaystyle \epsilon = \frac{\epsilon^*}{a}\) so that \(\displaystyle \epsilon^* = a \epsilon\) ...

Then we have :

\(\displaystyle \frac{ 1 }{ 1 + na } \lt \frac{\epsilon^*}{a} \Longrightarrow \frac{ 1 }{ n } \lt \epsilon^*\) ...So ... choose \(\displaystyle N\) so that \(\displaystyle \frac{ 1 }{ N } \lt \epsilon^*\) ...

So that then we have ... for \(\displaystyle n \gt N\) ...

\(\displaystyle | \frac{ 1 }{ 1 + na } - 0 | = \frac{ 1 }{ 1 + na } \lt \frac{ 1 }{ na } = ( \frac{ 1 }{ n } ) ( \frac{ 1 }{ a } ) \lt \epsilon^* ( \frac{ 1 }{ a } ) = \epsilon a ( \frac{ 1 }{ a } ) = \epsilon \)

Is that correct?

and further ...

Can someone please indicate how Bernoulli's Inequality is used in a proof ...

Peter==========================================================================================

To help readers understand Sohrab's notation I am posting his definitions of convergence of a sequence and the limit of a sequence ... as follows:View attachment 7190

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
To show \(\displaystyle \text{lim } ( \frac{ 1 }{ 1 + na } ) = 0\) where \(\displaystyle n \in \mathbb{N} \) ...

We have \(\displaystyle | \frac{ 1 }{ 1 + na } - 0 | = \frac{ 1 }{ 1 + na } \lt \frac{ 1 }{ na }\)
To produce large left and right delimiters that correspond to the size of the formula inside, write \left before the left delimiter and \right before the right one, e.g., \left|\frac{1}{1+na }-0\right| to produce \(\displaystyle \left|\frac{1}{1+na }-0\right|\) (ideally it should be \left\lvert\frac{1}{1+na }-0\right\rvert).

Peter said:
Now for \(\displaystyle \epsilon \gt 0\) let \(\displaystyle \frac{ 1 }{ na } \lt \epsilon\)
The previous line said \(\displaystyle \left|\frac{ 1 }{ 1 + na } - 0\right| = \frac{ 1 }{ 1 + na } \lt \frac{ 1 }{ na }\). Implicitly, it is preceded by the universal quantifier $\forall n$, and the scope of this quantifiers ends at the end of the formula. This means that using $n$ is fine inside the formula, but outside $n$ is undefined. So saying "let $1/na<\epsilon$ produces an error message "$n$ is undefined" and a buzz
[YOUTUBE]FRpq7o1mKXY[/YOUTUBE]
after which the proof checking stops.

In fact, it is not a good idea to say things like "let $E$ equal ..." or "let $E$ be less than $\epsilon$" where $E$ is an expression and not an individual variable. What if it is impossible to satisfy this formula due to the shape of $E$? For example, it makes no sense to say "Let $1/(1+x^2)>2$" for a real $x$.

I would say, "Fix an arbitrary $\epsilon>0$. Then there exists an $n$ such that $1/na<\epsilon$".

By the way, strictly speaking it is also not good to write, "$\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{1}{1+na}=0$ where $n\in\mathbb{N}$" because $\lim_{n\to\infty}$ is a variable-binding construction. It introduces a local variable $n$ that can be used only inside the expression that follows $\lim$ and is not defined outside of it. Other examples of variable-binding constructions are $\sum_{n=1}^\infty$ and $\int_0^1\dots\,dx$. One cannot say, "Consider $\sum_{n=1}^\infty 1/n^2$ where $n$ is even" or "$\int_0^1 x^2\,dx=1/3$ for $x=1/2$". In this example, $n\in\mathbb{N}$ is probably not necessary since $n$ is usually assumed to denote natural (rather than real) numbers (this reminds the implicit variable type convention in Fortran). But if it is not clear, one could say that $n$ ranges over natural numbers: this implies that $n$ is a placeholder rather than a fixed value.

Peter said:
Then let \(\displaystyle \epsilon = \frac{\epsilon^*}{a}\) so that \(\displaystyle \epsilon^* = a \epsilon\)
Should be: "Let \(\displaystyle \epsilon^* = a \epsilon\) so that \(\displaystyle \epsilon = \frac{\epsilon^*}{a}\)". This is because $\epsilon$ is already fixed and one cannot redefine it with "Let $\epsilon=\ldots$" (and it reads like a definition of $\epsilon$ at first glance rather than a definition of $\epsilon^*$, which it is).

Peter said:
Then we have :

\(\displaystyle \frac{ 1 }{ 1 + na } \lt \frac{\epsilon^*}{a} \Longrightarrow \frac{ 1 }{ n } \lt \epsilon^*\)
This implication is in general false, for example, for $a=1$.

Peter said:
I need help with a part of Exercise 2.2.7 Part (1) ... ...

(1) I am unsure that the proof is valid/correct ... particularly given my arithmetic on \epsilon ...

(2) I did not use Sohrab's hint ... and that concerns me ... but I am also interested in how Bernoulli's Inequality is used in this proof ...
[Edit. I wrote this before seeing Evgeny's comment above. You should probably look at both comments in parallel.]

I think you are right. There is no need to use Bernoulli for (1). Your argument is sort of correct, but you could shorten it (and perhaps clarify it) a bit like this:

Given $\varepsilon>0$, choose $N> \dfrac 1{a\varepsilon}$. Then $\dfrac 1{Na} < \varepsilon$, and $$n\geqslant N \Longrightarrow \frac1{1+na} <\frac1{na} \leqslant \frac1{Na} < \varepsilon.$$

It often happens in this sort of analysis that you need to tackle a problem by working backwards from the result (as you did in this case). But you then need to re-write the argument so as to lead forwards to the result.

For part (2) of this exercise you surely will want to use Bernoulli. I would do it like this:

Given $0<b<1$, let $a = \dfrac1b-1$. Then $a>0$, $b = \dfrac1{1+a}$, and $$b^n = \frac1{(1+a)^n} \leqslant \frac1{1+na}$$ by Bernoulli's inequality. But $\dfrac1{1+na} \to0$ as $n\to\infty$ by part (1), and it follows that $b^n\to0$.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
To produce large left and right delimiters that correspond to the size of the formula inside, write \left before the left delimiter and \right before the right one, e.g., \left|\frac{1}{1+na }-0\right| to produce \(\displaystyle \left|\frac{1}{1+na }-0\right|\) (ideally it should be \left\lvert\frac{1}{1+na }-0\right\rvert).

The previous line said \(\displaystyle \left|\frac{ 1 }{ 1 + na } - 0\right| = \frac{ 1 }{ 1 + na } \lt \frac{ 1 }{ na }\). Implicitly, it is preceded by the universal quantifier $\forall n$, and the scope of this quantifiers ends at the end of the formula. This means that using $n$ is fine inside the formula, but outside $n$ is undefined. So saying "let $1/na<\epsilon$ produces an error message "$n$ is undefined" and a buzz

after which the proof checking stops.

In fact, it is not a good idea to say things like "let $E$ equal ..." or "let $E$ be less than $\epsilon$" where $E$ is an expression and not an individual variable. What if it is impossible to satisfy this formula due to the shape of $E$? For example, it makes no sense to say "Let $1/(1+x^2)>2$" for a real $x$.

I would say, "Fix an arbitrary $\epsilon>0$. Then there exists an $n$ such that $1/na<\epsilon$".

By the way, strictly speaking it is also not good to write, "$\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{1}{1+na}=0$ where $n\in\mathbb{N}$" because $\lim_{n\to\infty}$ is a variable-binding construction. It introduces a local variable $n$ that can be used only inside the expression that follows $\lim$ and is not defined outside of it. Other examples of variable-binding constructions are $\sum_{n=1}^\infty$ and $\int_0^1\dots\,dx$. One cannot say, "Consider $\sum_{n=1}^\infty 1/n^2$ where $n$ is even" or "$\int_0^1 x^2\,dx=1/3$ for $x=1/2$". In this example, $n\in\mathbb{N}$ is probably not necessary since $n$ is usually assumed to denote natural (rather than real) numbers (this reminds the implicit variable type convention in Fortran). But if it is not clear, one could say that $n$ ranges over natural numbers: this implies that $n$ is a placeholder rather than a fixed value.

Should be: "Let \(\displaystyle \epsilon^* = a \epsilon\) so that \(\displaystyle \epsilon = \frac{\epsilon^*}{a}\)". This is because $\epsilon$ is already fixed and one cannot redefine it with "Let $\epsilon=\ldots$" (and it reads like a definition of $\epsilon$ at first glance rather than a definition of $\epsilon^*$, which it is).

This implication is in general false, for example, for $a=1$.

Hi Evgeny ...

Well! Thank you for all the guidance and support ... not only with the logic of proofs ... but also with Latex ...

I appreciate your support ... might even get me to the point of understanding analysis ... :)

Peter

- - - Updated - - -

Opalg said:
[Edit. I wrote this before seeing Evgeny's comment above. You should probably look at both comments in parallel.]

I think you are right. There is no need to use Bernoulli for (1). Your argument is sort of correct, but you could shorten it (and perhaps clarify it) a bit like this:

Given $\varepsilon>0$, choose $N> \dfrac 1{a\varepsilon}$. Then $\dfrac 1{Na} < \varepsilon$, and $$n\geqslant N \Longrightarrow \frac1{1+na} <\frac1{na} \leqslant \frac1{Na} < \varepsilon.$$

It often happens in this sort of analysis that you need to tackle a problem by working backwards from the result (as you did in this case). But you then need to re-write the argument so as to lead forwards to the result.

For part (2) of this exercise you surely will want to use Bernoulli. I would do it like this:

Given $0<b<1$, let $a = \dfrac1b-1$. Then $a>0$, $b = \dfrac1{1+a}$, and $$b^n = \frac1{(1+a)^n} \leqslant \frac1{1+na}$$ by Bernoulli's inequality. But $\dfrac1{1+na} \to0$ as $n\to\infty$ by part (1), and it follows that $b^n\to0$.

Thanks Opalg ... appreciate the help ...

Great to see a solution that stands up to scrutiny ...

Peter

Related to Limits of Sequences .... Sohrab Exercise 2.2.7

1. What is the definition of a limit of a sequence?

A limit of a sequence is the value that the terms of the sequence approach as the number of terms increases. In other words, it is the number that the terms get closer and closer to as the sequence progresses.

2. How can I determine the limit of a sequence?

To determine the limit of a sequence, you can use the following steps:

1. Write out the first few terms of the sequence.
  2. Look for a pattern in the terms, if there is one.
  3. Use algebraic techniques to simplify the terms.
  4. Take the limit as the number of terms approaches infinity.
  5. If the limit exists, that is the limit of the sequence.

3. Can a sequence have more than one limit?

No, a sequence can only have one limit. The limit of a sequence is a unique value that the terms converge to, and once that value is reached, the terms can no longer approach any other value.

4. What does it mean if a sequence does not have a limit?

If a sequence does not have a limit, it means that the terms of the sequence do not approach a specific value as the number of terms increases. This could happen if the terms of the sequence alternate between two or more values, or if the terms grow infinitely without approaching a specific value.

5. How can I use limits of sequences in real-world applications?

Limits of sequences can be used in various real-world applications, such as finance, economics, and physics. For example, in finance, the limit of a sequence can represent the value of an investment over time. In physics, it can represent the position of an object over time. Overall, limits of sequences help us understand how values change over time and can be used to make predictions or analyze data.