Logarithm and harmonic numbers

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that H_n = \ln n + \gamma + \epsilon_n using the limit of H_n - \ln n = \gamma. It also mentions using an approach where for all epsilon, there exists a k such that the condition |H_n - \ln n - \gamma | < epsilon holds for all k greater than or equal to n. The conversation concludes with a link to a tutorial on difference equations.
alyafey22
Gold Member
MHB
I need to prove that

\(\displaystyle H_n = \ln n + \gamma + \epsilon_n \)

Using that

\(\displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty} H_n - \ln n = \gamma \)

we conclude that

\(\displaystyle \forall \, \epsilon > 0 \,\,\,\, \exists k \,\,\,\, \) such that \(\displaystyle \,\,\, \forall k \geq n \,\,\, \) the following holds

\(\displaystyle |H_n - \ln n -\gamma | < \epsilon \)

\(\displaystyle H_n < \ln n +\gamma +\epsilon \)

I think I used the wrong approach , didn't I ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: logarithm and harmonic numbers

ZaidAlyafey said:
I need to prove that

\(\displaystyle H_n = \ln n + \gamma + \epsilon_n \)

Using that

\(\displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty} H_n - \ln n = \gamma \)

we conclude that

\(\displaystyle \forall \, \epsilon > 0 \,\,\,\, \exists k \,\,\,\, \) such that \(\displaystyle \,\,\, \forall k \geq n \,\,\, \) the following holds

\(\displaystyle |H_n - \ln n -\gamma | < \epsilon \)

\(\displaystyle H_n < \ln n +\gamma +\epsilon \)

I think I used the wrong approach , didn't I ?

http://mathhelpboards.com/discrete-mathematics-set-theory-logic-15/difference-equation-tutorial-draft-part-i-426.html#post2494

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Re: logarithm and harmonic numbers

chisigma said:
http://mathhelpboards.com/discrete-mathematics-set-theory-logic-15/difference-equation-tutorial-draft-part-i-426.html#post2494

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

My friend this is amazing , I must have time to read that , keep it up .

Related to Logarithm and harmonic numbers

1. What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is the inverse operation of exponentiation. It is a mathematical function that tells us how many times a certain number (the base) must be multiplied by itself to get another number (the argument).

2. How are logarithms used in science?

Logarithms are used in many scientific fields, including chemistry, physics, and biology. They are often used to express very large or very small numbers in a more manageable form. They are also used in data analysis and modeling, as well as in signal processing and communication systems.

3. What are the properties of logarithms?

Logarithms have several important properties, including the power property, product property, and quotient property. These properties allow us to simplify and manipulate complex logarithmic expressions.

4. What are harmonic numbers?

Harmonic numbers are a type of number sequence that are defined as the sum of the reciprocals of the positive integers up to a certain number. They have important applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering, particularly in the analysis of series and integrals.

5. How are logarithms and harmonic numbers related?

Logarithms and harmonic numbers are closely related through the natural logarithm function. The natural logarithm of a harmonic number n is equal to the difference between the nth harmonic number and the Euler-Mascheroni constant, which is approximately equal to 0.5772.