LR Circuit Analysis: Calculating Current and Gradient (0-0.6 seconds)

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of a coil connected to a direct current supply and the equation for the current flowing in the circuit at a specific moment. The conversation also involves plotting a graph and finding the gradient using both graphical and calculus methods.
will.i.am2
A coil connected across a d.c. supply will cause a spark to occur across a switch when turned off. The current flowing in the circuit at this moment is given by the equation i = IetR/L amps. Where I is the maximum circuit current, R the resistance of the coil and L the inductance of the coil.

(a) For a coil of resistance = 10Ω and Inductance 1.2 henrys through which the maximum current flowing was 5 amps, plot the graph for values of t between 0 and 0.6 seconds.
please refer to attached images.

(b)From the graph determine its gradient at t = 0.2 seconds.
26/0.2 = 130?
please refer to attached graph.

(c) Using calculus determine the gradient of the curve and from it the actual gradient when t = 0.2 seconds.
please refer to attached images.

So, any help would be appreciated.
thanks

****work is attached in form of images please don't remove it this time*****

Attachments

• value.png
    value.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 436
  • Graph2.png
    Graph2.png
    8 KB · Views: 397
  • part c.png
    part c.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 441
Physics news on Phys.org
Remember when taking the derivative of an exponential, you just get an exponential with some constants out front. That might help in drawing your graph =)

Your derivative in part c is incorrect, as it was in the other problem you posted.

What is this derivative?
$$\frac{d}{dt}e^{tR/L}$$

BTW, it's reasonable to post images of tables and graphs, but you should post the work you did right here in the text pane, not as an image.
will.i.am2 said:
****work is attached in form of images please don't remove it this time*****
If you're referring to your post for the CR problem, the images are still there. No one removed them.

Related to LR Circuit Analysis: Calculating Current and Gradient (0-0.6 seconds)

What is an LR circuit?

An LR circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains both inductance (L) and resistance (R) elements. It is commonly used in electronics and engineering to control and regulate the flow of electrical current.

What is the role of calculus in analyzing an LR circuit?

Calculus is used in analyzing an LR circuit because it allows us to model and understand the behavior of the circuit over time. Differential equations and integrals are used to describe the changing voltage and current in the circuit.

What are the components of an LR circuit?

An LR circuit consists of an inductor (a coil of wire that creates a magnetic field), a resistor (a component that resists the flow of current), and a voltage source (such as a battery or power supply).

What is the time constant of an LR circuit?

The time constant of an LR circuit is a measure of how quickly the circuit reaches a steady-state condition. It is calculated by multiplying the inductance (L) and resistance (R) values together.

How do you calculate the current and voltage in an LR circuit?

The current and voltage in an LR circuit can be calculated using calculus and the equations for inductance and resistance. The current is given by I(t) = I0e-Rt/L and the voltage is given by V(t) = V0(1-e-Rt/L).