Magnetic vector and scalar potential

In summary, the authors define a scalar potential (H) and a vector potential (B) which are only used to simplify calculations. These scalar and vector potentials do not really exist in reality.
reddvoid
I understood that
curl H = J
H being magnetic field intensity and magnetic flux density B = u H (u being permeability of free space)
divergence of B is zero because isolated magnetic charge or pole doesn't exist.
but then they define magnetic scalar and vector potentials .i can imagine H and B like in terms of field lines but this scalar and vector potentials making me very uncomfortable.
They say H= - del Vm
(negative divergence of scalar potential) and this is valid only when current density J=0. What i undertood is, first of all static magnetic field is produced by constant current if current density is zero which is del I / del S then current is zero then how can magnetic field exist at first place.
And then they define magnetic vector potential (A) exist just because del . B =0(div of B =0) so B can be expressed as curl of some function since divergence of curl of a vector is zero . I understand this in terms of vector identities but m not able to imagine this magnetic vector potential.
Some body please explain this. Any link to a simulation or java applet will be very helpfull . . .
Thank u.

Engineering news on Phys.org
My understanding is those scalar magnetic potential are fake terms that is used only to make it more convenient in certain calculation. They are trying to make it similar the scalar electric potential of [itex]\vec E=-\nabla V[/itex]. It is not really existing. You only have vector magnetic potential A and [itex] \vec B =\nabla \times \vec A[/itex].

I never really study the scalar magnetic potential as it is not real.

ok. So how can vector magnitude potential be defined like in layman terms other than telling that curl of magnetic vector potential gives magnetic flux density.

I study EM but I am not an expert, but I don't think they ever explain in layman's term. It is more like because [itex]\nabla \cdot \vec B \equiv 0\;\; \Rightarrow \;\vec B \;\hbox { is solenoidal} \;\Rightarrow \vec B = \nabla \times \;\hbox { (a vector field).}[/itex] This is the Helmholtz's Theorem. Google this and you'll have a better understanding of the irrotational and solenoidal. And they defined the vector field as "vector magnetic potential" A.

As I said, I am not an instructor nor expert, double check what I said. It should be easy to verify. Just look at your textbook and you should find it. This is basic static magnetics.

Last edited:
thanks alot. . .Ill do that
:-)

Related to Magnetic vector and scalar potential

1. What is the difference between magnetic vector potential and magnetic scalar potential?

The magnetic vector potential is a vector field that describes the direction and magnitude of the magnetic field at a given point in space. It is related to the current density and is used in equations such as Ampere's law. On the other hand, the magnetic scalar potential is a scalar field that describes the magnitude of the magnetic field at a given point in space. It is related to the magnetic flux and is used in equations such as the Biot-Savart law.

2. How are magnetic vector and scalar potential related?

The magnetic vector potential is the curl of the magnetic scalar potential, meaning that the magnetic vector potential is derived from the magnetic scalar potential. They are both part of the same electromagnetic field and are used in different equations to describe different aspects of the magnetic field.

3. How are magnetic vector and scalar potential used in practical applications?

Magnetic vector and scalar potential are used in various practical applications, such as in the design of electromagnetic devices, in the analysis of magnetic fields in materials, and in the study of electromagnetic waves. They are also used in the development of technologies such as magnetic levitation and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).

4. Can magnetic vector and scalar potential be measured directly?

No, magnetic vector and scalar potential cannot be measured directly. They are theoretical constructs that are used to mathematically describe the behavior of magnetic fields. However, the effects of magnetic fields can be measured and analyzed through techniques such as magnetic field mapping and magnetic field strength measurements.

5. How do magnetic vector and scalar potential relate to each other in the context of Maxwell's equations?

In Maxwell's equations, the magnetic vector potential is used to describe the behavior of the magnetic field in terms of electric currents, while the magnetic scalar potential is used to describe the behavior of the magnetic field in terms of the magnetic flux. Together, these potentials help to explain the relationship between electric and magnetic fields and their interactions with matter.