How to use geometrical symmetries -- general advice? (Vector potential)

LeoJakob
The following is an example from my script. I always have trouble identifying useful symmetries. Can someone explain to me why (for example) the vector potential doesn't have a ##z## dependence? I understand that there is no ##\varphi## dependency.
I don't understand why the field of ##\vec{A}## has to be parallel to the ##z## axis. What about ##d^{3} \overrightarrow{r^{\prime}}##??? Is there a way to show mathematically that the vector potential is independent of the two variables ##z\varphi##?
In general, I have problems identifying symmetries and using them correctly.

Magnetic flux density of an infinitely long hollow cylinder

The hollow cylinder is homogeneously traversed by the current ##I##. Calculate the magnetic flux ##\vec{B}(\vec{r})## as the curl of the vector potential ##\vec{A}(\vec{r})##.

$$
\begin{aligned}
\vec{A}(\vec{r}) & =\frac{\mu_{0}}{4 \pi} \int \limits_{V} \frac{\vec{j}\left(\overrightarrow{r^{\prime}}\right)}{\left|\vec{r}-\overrightarrow{r^{\prime}}\right|} d^{3} \overrightarrow{r^{\prime}} \\
\vec{j}(\vec{r}) & =j \vec{e}_{z}
\end{aligned}
$$

Use cylindrical coordinates ##\vec{r}=(\rho, \varphi, z)##. Due to the symmetry, we have:
$$
\vec{A}(\vec{r})=A(\rho, \varphi, z) \vec{e}_{z}=A(\rho) \vec{e}_{z}
$$

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you have an infinitely long cylindrical object then the field can't depend on either ##z## or ##\varphi## because the charge and current densities are symmetrical under rotation around the ##z## axis and translation along it. If the sources are symmetric like that, how can the fields be otherwise? If they were (e.g.) weaker at some ##z=z_0##, why there?

So the ##\vec B## field is cylindrically symmetric. What ways can a vector field be cylindrically symmetric? What does that tell you about ##\vec A##?

Likes LeoJakob
There is no way to generally prove that the vector potential does not depend on particular coordinates since it is always possible to perform a gauge transformation ##\vec A \to \vec A + \nabla \phi## with the same resulting field for any scalar function ##\phi##.

Any symmetry argument must be based on this particular expression for the vector potential.

Likes LeoJakob

Related to How to use geometrical symmetries -- general advice? (Vector potential)

1. How can I use geometrical symmetries to determine the vector potential?

Geometrical symmetries can be used to simplify the calculation of the vector potential by taking advantage of the symmetry properties of the system. By identifying the symmetries present in the system, you can reduce the number of independent variables and simplify the problem.

2. What are some general strategies for utilizing geometrical symmetries in determining the vector potential?

Some general strategies for utilizing geometrical symmetries include identifying mirror symmetries, rotational symmetries, and translational symmetries in the system. By exploiting these symmetries, you can simplify the problem and reduce the amount of computation required to determine the vector potential.

3. Can geometrical symmetries help in solving complex vector potential problems?

Yes, geometrical symmetries can be extremely helpful in solving complex vector potential problems. By identifying and exploiting the symmetries present in the system, you can simplify the problem and make it more manageable. This can lead to more efficient and accurate solutions to complex vector potential problems.

4. Are there any limitations to using geometrical symmetries in determining the vector potential?

While geometrical symmetries can be a powerful tool in simplifying the calculation of the vector potential, there are some limitations to their use. In some cases, the symmetries present in the system may not be immediately obvious or may be difficult to identify. Additionally, not all problems will have symmetries that can be exploited to simplify the problem.

5. How can I improve my understanding of using geometrical symmetries in determining the vector potential?

To improve your understanding of using geometrical symmetries in determining the vector potential, it is important to practice identifying symmetries in different systems and working through problems that require the use of symmetries. Additionally, studying the properties of different types of symmetries and how they can be applied to vector potential problems can help enhance your understanding and proficiency in using geometrical symmetries.