Mathematica notebook for conversion to Newtonian metric ?

In summary, the basic postulate of GR is that locally spacetime looks flat, meaning that it can be modeled as a Lorentzian manifold. This assumption is shared with a large class of gravitation theories. Additionally, any metric can be reduced to a local inertial metric at a point, known as Riemann normal coordinates. However, this is a mathematical construction and not necessarily applicable to physics. The "Newtonian metric" is not identifiable with any Lorentzian metric, but there is a geometric approach called "Newtonian spacetime" that uses degenerate metrics. The deviations from the Minkowski metric can be described by a 'Newtonian gravitational potential', which can be approximated through a weak-field approximation or R
smallphi
Basic postulate of GR is that locally spacetime looks flat i.e. any metric can be reduced to a local inertial metric at a point. The local inertial metric is exactly the flat Minkowski metric AT the point, and has zero derivatives AT the point but those are not true away from the point.

Then Newtonian metric is the metric felt by a free fall observer. In it, the deviations from the Minkowski metric, to first order in 1/c^2, are described by a 'Newtonian gravitational potential'. I think this is the same thing as writing a general metric in 'Newtonian approximation', 'Newtonian gauge' or 'Weak field approximation'.

I have a general metric and need a Mathematica notebook that will convert it to the Newtonian metric felt by a specified free fall observer. Does anyone know of something like that ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What would Gauss say?

smallphi said:
Basic postulate of GR is that locally spacetime looks flat

Be careful, the physics literature unfortunately uses some badly inconsistent terminology here: "locally" should mean "in a local neighborhood", not "at the level of jet spaces" or even "eventwise", but older books/papers confuse these completely different notions.

You should say, "i.e., we assume that spacetime can be modeled as a Lorentzian manifold". Gtr involves much more than this assumption, of course, which is shared with a large class of gravitation theories.

smallphi said:
any metric can be reduced to a local inertial metric at a point. The local inertial metric is exactly the flat Minkowski metric AT the point, and has zero derivatives AT the point but those are not true away from the point.

You are probably thinking of Riemann normal coordinates, in which the Christoffel symbols vanish at some event, but this is a mathematical construction valid on any Lorentzian manifold and has nothing to do with physics.

smallphi said:
Then Newtonian metric is the metric felt by a free fall observer.

Careful, there is no "Newtonian metric" which is identifiable with any Lorentzian metric. (There is a geometric approach sometimes called "Newtonian spacetime", but that uses degenerate metrics, which are certainly not Lorentzian metrics, which are nondegenerate indeterminate.)

smallphi said:
In it, the deviations from the Minkowski metric, to first order in 1/c^2, are described by a 'Newtonian gravitational potential'. I think this is the same thing as writing a general metric in 'Newtonian approximation', 'Newtonian gauge' or 'Weak field approximation'.

Sounds like you are thinking of constructing a Riemann normal chart in a Lorentzian spacetime which is a weak-field approximation to a static vacuum solution in general relativity?

smallphi said:
I have a general metric and need a Mathematica notebook that will convert it to the Newtonian metric felt by a specified free fall observer. Does anyone know of something like that ?

Well, I don't think such a notebook could exist (unless it were cranky!*), and in any case, you can't use software tools if you don't understand what you are computing!

If you can type in your metric as pseudolatex, I can probably help you

1. find a "weak-field approximation",

2. find a normal chart,

3. find a frame suitable for studying the experience of observers with specified properties, unless you are doing something absurdly complicated or mistaken,

or some combination.

*FYI: I have been told that a certain crank with a "cult following" has directed his acolytes (who are not physicists) to seek out software on the net for purposes of computing nonsense. Sad.

Sounds like you are thinking of constructing a Riemann normal chart in a Lorentzian spacetime which is a weak-field approximation to a static vacuum solution in general relativity?

Forget the weak field, the exact math question I have in mind is:

given are:
a general metric in some coordinates
a point of spacetime specified by its coordinates
4 orthonormal vectors at that point specified by their components

construct:
the Riemann normal coordinates around that point i.e. I need the metric expressed in those coordinates up to terms of order 1/c^2

I've seen the general procedure in Hartle's GR textbook but it's hard to implement in practise when the solutions of the geodesic equations are not obvious. Since I need the Riemann coordinates only up to terms of order 1/c^2, I hope there is a simplified way to find those. I am interested in article/book that shows how that approximate Riemman coordinate metric can be found or Mathematica notebook that can do it for me.

Last edited:
smallphi said:
construct:
the Riemann normal coordinates around that point i.e. I need the metric expressed in those coordinates up to terms of order 1/c^2

See section 7.2 of http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0306052" . There's an expansion for the metric about the origin of a Riemann normal coordinate system in powers of distance. I don't know what you mean by expanding up to order 1/c^2, but to lowest nontrivial order, all you need is the Riemann tensor at the origin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot Stingray, your answer hit right on target.

Last edited:

Related to Mathematica notebook for conversion to Newtonian metric ?

1. What is a Mathematica notebook?

A Mathematica notebook is a file used in the Mathematica software to input, manipulate, and visualize mathematical functions and data. It is a convenient way to organize and save your work in a step-by-step format.

2. What is a Newtonian metric conversion?

A Newtonian metric conversion is a mathematical process used to convert values from one unit of measurement to another using the principles of Newtonian mechanics. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to convert between units such as meters and feet or kilograms and pounds.

3. Why use Mathematica for Newtonian metric conversions?

Mathematica has built-in functions and tools specifically designed for mathematical calculations and conversions, making it a powerful and efficient tool for performing Newtonian metric conversions. It also allows for easy visualization of the data and results.

4. Can Mathematica handle complex conversions?

Yes, Mathematica has the capability to handle complex and multi-step conversions with ease. It can handle conversions between different systems of units, as well as non-linear and non-standard conversions.

5. Can I customize the conversion process in Mathematica?

Yes, Mathematica allows for customization of the conversion process by allowing users to define their own functions and equations. This makes it a versatile tool for both simple and complex conversions.