Mathematician learning physics - hello!

• Thread starter dford
  • Start date
In summary, mathematics and physics have a close relationship, with mathematics being the language of physics. A mathematician approaches learning physics by using their analytical and problem-solving skills, but may face challenges in applying their knowledge to real-world scenarios. Learning physics can benefit a mathematician by deepening their understanding of mathematical principles and opening up new career opportunities. To successfully learn physics, it is important to focus on building a strong foundation, practicing application, and seeking additional resources.
dford
How did you find PF?
Found it on Google when looking for support learning physics.
Hello! I'm a mathematician specializing in hyperbolic dynamical systems and smooth ergodic theory. I decided this year that I wanted to learn physics as well to get a better intuition behind the applications/interpretations of my work and the work of my colleagues. My math background is very strong, but my physics background is almost zero beyond what one learns in calculus. So I'm on a mission to change that. I look forward to learning from this community :)

Likes Arohan, berkeman, fresh_42 and 2 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Noble endeavour! :wink:

:welcome: ##\qquad##!​

##\ ##

Likes dford
Welcome to PF! :smile:

A few tips:

To post math equations, it's best to use the LaTeX engine that PF provides. There is a helpful "LaTeX Guide" link below the Edit window to get you started. Note that you put double-$ delimiters at the start and end of each stand-alone line of LaTeX, and double-# delimiters at the start and end of in-line LaTeX that does not need to be on its own line. Also, if you right-click on a LaTeX equation in a post, you get a pop-up menu to let you view the LaTeX source or view it in other formats.

LaTeX isn't supported in thread titles, so you can use simple text math in titles if you want.

Note also that PF uses a feature called "lazy LaTeX rendering" that speeds up page loads. When you first post your LaTeX in a thread, you will not see it rendered that first time. Just refresh your browser page to force it to be rendered, and then it should render whenever you come back to that page/thread in the future.

Likes syfry and dford
Likes dford and berkeman
Yeah, I wondered why he deleted his posts with questions about LaTeX in this intro thread! :smile:

I missed those altogether -- edited out ? :wink:

@BvU @berkeman indeed, I was mostly just test-driving PF's LaTeX/Mathjax syntax (not what I'm used to, but I think I figured it out). Thanks for the help both of you! :smile:

Likes berkeman
BvU said:
I missed those altogether -- edited out ? :wink:
Yep, only visible to the Mentors. :wink:

dford said:
How did you find PF?: Found it on Google when looking for support learning physics.

Hello! I'm a mathematician specializing in hyperbolic dynamical systems and smooth ergodic theory. I decided this year that I wanted to learn physics as well to get a better intuition behind the applications/interpretations of my work and the work of my colleagues. My math background is very strong, but my physics background is almost zero beyond what one learns in calculus. So I'm on a mission to change that. I look forward to learning from this community :)
I am on a similar journey, background in differential geometry, currently working in AI and looking to learn physics as much as I can!!

Related to Mathematician learning physics - hello!

1. What is the relationship between mathematics and physics?

Mathematics and physics have a very close relationship, as mathematics is the language of physics. Many physical laws and theories are expressed and understood through mathematical equations. In order to fully understand and explain the natural world, a strong foundation in mathematics is necessary for any physicist.

2. How does a mathematician approach learning physics?

A mathematician approaches learning physics by using their strong analytical and problem-solving skills. They are able to break down complex concepts and equations into smaller, more manageable parts. They also have a deep understanding of mathematical principles, which helps them to quickly grasp the mathematical concepts used in physics.

3. What challenges do mathematicians face when learning physics?

One of the main challenges that mathematicians face when learning physics is applying their mathematical knowledge to real-world scenarios. While they may have a strong understanding of mathematical concepts, they may struggle with understanding the physical implications of these concepts. They may also struggle with visualizing and understanding abstract physical concepts.

4. How does learning physics benefit a mathematician?

Learning physics can benefit a mathematician in several ways. It can help them to develop a deeper understanding of mathematical principles and how they are applied in the real world. It can also expand their problem-solving skills and their ability to think critically and creatively. Additionally, knowledge of physics can open up new career opportunities for mathematicians.

5. What advice would you give to a mathematician learning physics for the first time?

My advice to a mathematician learning physics for the first time would be to focus on building a strong foundation in the basics. Make sure to fully understand the fundamental principles and equations before moving on to more complex topics. It is also important to practice applying these concepts to real-world scenarios. Don't be afraid to ask for help and seek out additional resources, such as textbooks or online tutorials.