Maxwell Relations: when are they valid?

In summary: I can see how the second derivative of a thermodynamic potential would be different for a violent vs. a non-violent irreversible process, but I'm not sure how the Maxwell relation would be different.
John Perez
Hi, I have a question
If I am not mistaken, the Maxwell relations of theromdynamics
-----for example: ∂G/∂T) = -S ; ∂G/∂P) = V -----
are valid only for reversible processes.

On the other hand,
dG = ∂G/∂T)*dT + ∂G/∂P)*dP + ∑ μi dni
is valid for any process.

This means that
dG = -SdT + VdP + ∑ μi dni
should only be applicable for reversible processes, and not necessarily for irreversible ones, Right??

Physics news on Phys.org
The Maxwell relations are just the application of Poincare's lemma to the thermodynamic potentials.

http://johncarlosbaez.wordpress.com/2012/01/19/classical-mechanics-versus-thermodynamics-part-1/

The thermodynamic potentials are applicable to reversible and irreversible processes

http://www.quora.com/Thermodynamics...mics-only-applicable-for-reversible-processes

Thus the Maxwell relations apply to reversible and irreversible processes.

Here's a great way to derive/remember the massive amount of information this branch of the subject contains by drawing pictures:

http://web.mit.edu/course/8/8.593/spring10/bk/on_MRS_Thermodynamic_Mnemonic.pdf

Thanks for answering!
Oh, I didnt know about that Poincare lemma. And the definition of the potentials does apply to any processes.
But I couldn't find anywhere on the first link a mention of the relations bieng valid in one or the other scenario.

The answer in the second link seems to be wrong, there's even a comment about it.
dG = -SdT + VdP apllies to reversible processes, and while dG is the same no matter the "path", -SdT and VdP certainly depend on the path, so the equality should not hold for a irreversible process. In such case it should read dG < -SdT + VdP

John Perez said:
Hi, I have a question
If I am not mistaken, the Maxwell relations of theromdynamics...are valid only for reversible processes.

No they've valid for any quasi-static process.

John Perez said:
On the other hand,
dG = ∂G/∂T)*dT + ∂G/∂P)*dP + ∑ μi dni
is valid for any process.

This is also only valid for quasi-static processes.

The Maxwell relations are literally just a consequence of the commutativity of mixed partial derivatives.

Ok, thanks.
So all those things are only valid for quasi-static processes, and not "violent" ones. So, for example,
dG = -SdT + VdP + ∑ μi dni
is not valid for "violent" irreversible processes. Or I understand wrong?

After all, like you say it is just a consequence of mixed partial derivatives but the derivative they ultimately come from is U = TdS - PdV, which is a combination of the first and second Principles and (I think) only is valid for quasi-static processes (since reversible seems to be the wrong term here).

John Perez said:
Or I understand wrong?

No you understood it correctly. In the case of "violent" irreversible processes, i.e. non-quasi-static processes, we only have inequalities.

Last edited:
The second link isn't wrong, the first comment seems to be talking about non-equilibrium thermodynamics, and the second comment makes the original point that dU = TdS - PdV is still valid for irreversible processes, I guess you're conflating this with quasi-static processes or something...

You seem to be saying something equivalent to: because ydx and xdy separately depend on the path, it implies that (ydx + xdy) is also dependent on the path, but you forget that putting them together implies ydx + xdy = d(xy)... I guess classical vector analysis is messing your intuition up so I recommend this article http://em.groups.et.byu.net/pdfs/publications/formsj.pdf

Once you have the differential form a thermodynamic potential established (i.e. dU or one of it's Legendre transforms) you take a second exterior derivative and get the Maxwell relations. This is Poincare's lemma (in direct form, i.e. d^2 w = 0) and is equivalent to commutativity of second partial derivatives (Clairaut's theorem).

Thanks, I think I got it, though I received kind of conflicting answers.
Im leaning for the non-quasi-static = inequalities.

Related to Maxwell Relations: when are they valid?

1. What are Maxwell Relations?

Maxwell Relations are a set of thermodynamic equations that relate different thermodynamic properties such as temperature, pressure, and volume in a thermodynamic system. They are named after the physicist James Clerk Maxwell who derived them.

2. How are Maxwell Relations derived?

Maxwell Relations are derived from the fundamental laws of thermodynamics, namely the first and second laws. They are also based on the mathematical concept of partial derivatives.

3. When are Maxwell Relations valid?

Maxwell Relations are valid for any thermodynamic system in a state of thermodynamic equilibrium. This means that the system must be in a stable and uniform state with no energy or matter transfer occurring.

4. What are some applications of Maxwell Relations?

Maxwell Relations are useful for calculating changes in thermodynamic properties, such as heat capacity, entropy, and compressibility. They are also used in chemical thermodynamics to determine the relationship between different thermodynamic properties of a system.

5. Can Maxwell Relations be used for non-ideal systems?

Yes, Maxwell Relations can be used for non-ideal systems as long as they are in a state of thermodynamic equilibrium. However, they may not be as accurate for non-ideal systems as they are for ideal systems.