me Translate French Math Terms

• Thread starter Bacle2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Terms
In summary, the conversation is about the translation of certain mathematical terms from French to English. The terms discussed include 'cellulation de contact', 'cellules', 'decoupage', 'surfaces e-convexes', 'ame de l'anneau', and 'vrillees'. The participants also mention a math paper on contact structures and open book decompositions, and suggest seeking help from French mathematicians or online forums for accurate translations.
Bacle2
Science Advisor
Hi, All:

Sorry if this is off-topic, but I did not know where else to ask. These are geometric/topological

terms, so I thought it'd make sense to ask here:

I am reading a math paper in French, and I'm having trouble :

1)Cellulation de Contact . Cellules. I suspect this has to see with cellular homology , and decomposition into cells

(as in CW-complexes )

2) Decoupage, as in:

...S est une surface e-convexe, don't le decoupage est fourni par K. Thanks. If necessary, I'll delete and post somewhere else.

EDIT/P.S: For the sake of context, the paper is on Contact Structures and Open Book Decompositions. Sorry, I cannot

find a link for it online.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
'Cellule' means cell.

'Cellulation' refers to the process of dividing into cells.

'Cellulation de Contact' would therefor means 'The dividing into cells coming from "contact"' This is obscure and should have been defined elsewhere I guess.

'...S est une surface e-convexe, don't le decoupage est fourni par K.' means '...S is an e-convex surface whose cutting is provided by K."

'Decoupage' means 'cutting'.

If you have nay more questions, don't hesitate :)

Merci, ami Quasar987 !

Hi again, Quasar987, two more, please:

How about : l'ame de l'anneau , where the 'a' in ame has a circumflex accent?

I know ame is sould, and anneau is an annulus, but 'the soul of the annulus' sounds

just like a cheesy sci-fi movie :).

How about 'vrillees' (accent on first e ), in reference to a contact structure? I

imagine it means 'overtwisted' , since I'm pretty sure 'tendue' means tight in this

context, right?

P.S: I'll owe you a few beers if you come to NYC--or maybe pastis?

Haha.. well you're right that 'âme' means 'soul', but 'anneau' can also refer to a 'ring' (the algebraic structure). In any case, I have no idea what 'l'âme de l'anneau' could mean !

I do not know how to translate 'vrillé'. It it is an adjectification of the (feminine) noun 'vrille'. When I hear it, I see an helicoid as the best example of something that is vrillé.

So surely that means 'overtwisted' if it's used next to 'tendu', which clearly means 'tight'.

Last edited:
Have you tried Google translate?

It might not work for all mathematical or other technical terms, but it might give hints to guessing the meaning.

'l'âme de l'anneau' == kernel of a ring (I believe. )

Unless there is a mathematician around here who was educated in France ( I do not know )--
You best bet is mathoverflow.net: Denis Serre and several other French mathematicians frequent the site.

Thanks all:

My best understanding so far, after asking a French math prof. is that ame,
actually translates to "soul of a manifold" ; weird, but there is actually such thing.

Jim: I did not give enough context, but anneau here refers to annulus, and
there is no algebraic structure, so I think "soul of a manifold":http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soul_theorem

Related to me Translate French Math Terms

What does "me Translate French Math Terms" mean?

The phrase "me Translate French Math Terms" refers to the process of translating mathematical terms from French to another language, typically English.

Why is it important to translate French math terms?

Translating French math terms is important because it allows non-French speakers to understand and use mathematical concepts that originated in French. It also promotes cross-cultural understanding and collaboration in the field of mathematics.

What are some common French math terms?

Some common French math terms include addition (addition), subtraction (soustraction), multiplication (multiplication), division (division), and equation (équation).

What are some strategies for translating French math terms?

One strategy for translating French math terms is to identify key words and concepts and find their equivalents in the target language. Another strategy is to use online translation tools or consult with a bilingual mathematician or teacher.

Are there any challenges in translating French math terms?

Yes, there can be challenges in translating French math terms, as some terms may not have direct equivalents in other languages and may require a deeper understanding of the mathematical concept in order to accurately translate it. Additionally, different languages may have different conventions for writing mathematical equations and symbols, which can also pose a challenge.