Measure Union of n Measurable Sets: Formula & Examples

In summary, the formula to find the measure of the union of $n$ measurable sets is $\mu\left(\bigcup_{i=1}^n A_i\right)=-\sum_{i=1}^n\mu\left(A_i\setminus\bigcup_{k=1}^{i-1}A_k\right).
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

At any metric space, find a formula that gives the measure of the union of $n$ measurable sets, not necessary disjoint.

If the sets are disjoint the measure of the union is $$\mu \left ( \cup_{n=1}^{\infty} A_n \right)=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\mu(A_n)$$ right??

And when the sets are not disjoint the $=$ gets $\leq$.

Is this the formula that I am asked to find?? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
At any metric space, find a formula that gives the measure of the union of $n$ measurable sets, not necessary disjoint.
One option is
\[
\mu\left(\bigcup_{i=1}^n A_i\right)=\sum_{i=1}^n\mu\left(A_i\setminus\bigcup_{k=1}^{i-1}A_k\right).
\]

Since you are asked to find a formula, you must give an equation, not an inequality. I'll write down the formula, and leave it to you to prove it.

Let $A_1,\ldots, A_n$ be $n$ measurable sets. Then

\(\displaystyle \mu(\bigcup_{j = 1}^n A_j) = \sum_{j = 1}^k \mu(A_j) -\sum_{1\le j_1 < j_2 \le n} \mu(A_{j_1} \cap A_{j_2}) +\sum_{1 \le j_1 < j_2 < j_3 \le n}\mu(A_{j_1} \cap A_{j_2} \cap A_{j_3}) - \cdots + (-1)^{n-1} \mu(\bigcap_{j = 1}^n A_j)\)

Evgeny.Makarov said:
One option is
\[
\mu\left(\bigcup_{i=1}^n A_i\right)=\sum_{i=1}^n\mu\left(A_i\setminus\bigcup_{k=1}^{i-1}A_k\right).
\]

Euge said:
Since you are asked to find a formula, you must give an equation, not an inequality. I'll write down the formula, and leave it to you to prove it.

Let $A_1,\ldots, A_n$ be $n$ measurable sets. Then

\(\displaystyle \mu(\bigcup_{j = 1}^n A_j) = \sum_{j = 1}^k \mu(A_j) -\sum_{1\le j_1 < j_2 \le n} \mu(A_{j_1} \cap A_{j_2}) +\sum_{1 \le j_1 < j_2 < j_3 \le n}\mu(A_{j_1} \cap A_{j_2} \cap A_{j_3}) - \cdots + (-1)^{n-1} \mu(\bigcap_{j = 1}^n A_j)\)

I understand! Thank you both very much! (Sun)

Hi there! Yes, you are correct. The formula for the measure of the union of $n$ measurable sets, whether they are disjoint or not, is given by:

$$\mu \left(\bigcup_{i=1}^{n} A_i \right) = \sum_{i=1}^{n}\mu(A_i)$$

This formula holds true for any metric space, as long as the sets are measurable. When the sets are disjoint, the measure of the union is simply the sum of the measures of each set. However, when the sets are not disjoint, the measure of the union may be less than or equal to the sum of the measures. This is because there may be some overlap between the sets, and this overlap is counted multiple times when adding the measures separately.

Let me give you an example to better illustrate this. Consider three sets $A$, $B$, and $C$ in a metric space, where $A$ and $B$ are disjoint but $C$ overlaps with both $A$ and $B$. If we add the measures of each set, we get $\mu(A) + \mu(B) + \mu(C)$. However, this will overestimate the measure of the union, as the overlap between $A$ and $C$ and between $B$ and $C$ is counted twice. So, the actual measure of the union is $\mu(A) + \mu(B) + \mu(C) - \mu(A \cap C) - \mu(B \cap C)$.

I hope this helps clarify the formula for the measure of the union of $n$ measurable sets. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Related to Measure Union of n Measurable Sets: Formula & Examples

What is the formula for measuring the union of n measurable sets?

The formula for measuring the union of n measurable sets is given by:
μ(∪n Ai) = ∑μ(Ai) - ∑μ(Ai∩Aj) + ∑μ(Ai∩Aj∩Ak) - ... + (-1)^(n+1)μ(A1∩A2∩...∩An)
where Ai represents the different measurable sets and μ represents the measure of the set.

How do you determine the measure of a union of n measurable sets?

To determine the measure of a union of n measurable sets, follow these steps:
1. Find the measure of each individual set using the given formula.
2. Subtract the measure of the intersection of any two sets from the sum of the individual measures.
3. Add the measure of the intersection of any three sets to the previous result.
4. Continue this process, alternating between adding and subtracting the measure of the intersection of sets until all n sets have been accounted for.
5. The final result will be the measure of the union of n measurable sets.

What is the significance of measuring the union of n measurable sets?

Measuring the union of n measurable sets allows us to determine the total measure of a collection of sets. This is useful in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as probability theory, geometric and spatial analysis, and optimization problems.

Can the formula for measuring the union of n measurable sets be applied to infinite sets?

Yes, the formula for measuring the union of n measurable sets can be extended to infinite sets, as long as the sets are measurable and have finite measures. In this case, the summation in the formula would continue indefinitely.

Can you provide an example of measuring the union of n measurable sets?

Say we have three measurable sets A, B, and C with measures μ(A) = 5, μ(B) = 3, and μ(C) = 2. The intersection of A and B has a measure of μ(A∩B) = 1, the intersection of A and C has a measure of μ(A∩C) = 2, and the intersection of B and C has a measure of μ(B∩C) = 1.
Using the formula, we can calculate the measure of the union of these three sets as follows:
μ(A∪B∪C) = μ(A) + μ(B) + μ(C) - μ(A∩B) - μ(A∩C) - μ(B∩C) + μ(A∩B∩C)
= 5 + 3 + 2 - 1 - 2 - 1 + 0
= 6
Therefore, the measure of the union of these three sets is 6.