Mechanics of materials question, angle of twist in shaft

In summary: HanssonIn summary, the value of 15 kNm/m at point A is not the torque at A but the change in torque per unit length of the shaft from that point. The total torque applied would be the integral of the function t(x) from x = 0 to x = 0.6 m, so T = (1/2)*(25 x^2) kNm.
davidhansson
Hello, I'm studying machanics of materials.. I'm at the chapter that handles the angle of twist in shafts. There's one exercise that I get the most part of, but there's just a tiny part of it that I don't get!

here's the exercise: http://davidhansson.deviantart.com/art/Wp-20131015-001-407472489

and here's the solution from the book: http://davidhansson.deviantart.com/art/Wp-20131015-005-407472644

what I don't get, is what internal torque really means and how it become (1/2)*25x*x ,,
Where does the "(1/2)" comes from, and where does the extra x comes from..

My intuition is that it should be integrated like: 1/((pi/2)*75*10^9) ∫(15000/0.6)*x integration from 0 to 0.6 ,, which would be the twist in radians for the part AB.

I apologies if it's hard to understand

lot's of thanks/ David Hansson

Physics news on Phys.org
It's tricky to explain, but I'll have a go.

The value of 15 kNm/m at point A is not the torque at A but the change in torque per unit length of the shaft from that point. Since the torque is zero at B, the slope of the torque distribution = 15 kNm/m divided by 0.6 m = 25 kNm /m^2. To calculate the value of the distributed torque at at distance x from point B, then

t(x) = 25 kNm/m^2 * x m = (25 x) kNm/m

The total torque applied would be the integral of the function t(x) from x = 0 to x = 0.6 m, so

T = (1/2)*(25 x^2) kNm

It's a weird way to express the torque distribution and I can understand your confusion.

Hello, lots of thanks for the reply!

What you're saying sounds fully logic and was also my intuition. The weird thing though is that they make one additional integration to the (1/2)*(25 x^2) kNm ,, so we get (1/6)*(25 x^3) kNm (from 0 to 0.6).. and then multiply with the constants ofc,, this will give the final answer: 0.00895 rad that's written in the book. To me, this last integration feels totally unlogical, could it be that they actually have made a mistake in the book?

thanks/ David

Related to Mechanics of materials question, angle of twist in shaft

1. What is the angle of twist in a shaft?

The angle of twist in a shaft is the amount of rotation that occurs at a given point along the length of the shaft when a torque is applied to it. It is measured in radians and is dependent on the material properties, geometry, and applied load.

2. How is the angle of twist calculated?

The angle of twist can be calculated using the formula θ = TL/GJ, where θ is the angle of twist, T is the applied torque, L is the length of the shaft, G is the shear modulus of the material, and J is the polar moment of inertia of the cross-sectional area of the shaft.

3. What factors affect the angle of twist in a shaft?

The angle of twist in a shaft is affected by the material properties of the shaft, such as the shear modulus and yield strength, as well as the geometry of the shaft, including its length and cross-sectional area. The applied load, specifically the magnitude and direction of the torque, also plays a significant role in determining the angle of twist.

4. How does the angle of twist impact the performance of a shaft?

The angle of twist can impact the performance of a shaft in several ways. It can affect the stiffness and strength of the shaft, as well as its ability to transmit torque and resist deformation. In extreme cases, excessive angle of twist can lead to failure of the shaft.

5. Can the angle of twist be reduced or eliminated?

In most cases, the angle of twist in a shaft cannot be completely eliminated, but it can be reduced by using materials with higher shear modulus, increasing the diameter or thickness of the shaft, or applying a counter-torque to balance out the applied torque. Proper design and material selection can also help minimize the angle of twist in a shaft.