Mechanics of Materials Question

In summary: The stress loading I described causes the object to stretch in the x direction, and to compress an equal amount in the y direction. It also causes the horizontal diagonal of the inscribed square to stretch in the x direction, and the vertical diagonal to compress in the y direction. The strains in these diagonals are the same as in the x and y directions u for the outer square. Still OK?Yes, that still makes sense.
brk51

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2017-09-27 at 11.32.41 AM.png

Homework Equations

G = Shear Stress/Shear Strain G = E/(2(1+n)) n being poissons ratio

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know the easiest way to solve is simply to manipulate the first equation a little bit >>> Shear Stress = G * Shear Strain >>> Shear Stress = P/A >>>> P = G * Shear Strain * 20mm * 150mm then boom you get 300 kN...

But there is a longer way I want to understand. Correct me in my process because I know I'm wrong and I think I know where..
IMG_0288.jpg

So...
1) The angle I calculate for shear strain. Where do I measure it from?
2) Is poissons ratio 0? The picture seems to indicate there is no lateral contraction...if not, how do I calculate it?

Physics news on Phys.org
brk51 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 211827

Homework Equations

G = Shear Stress/Shear Strain G = E/(2(1+n)) n being poissons ratio

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know the easiest way to solve is simply to manipulate the first equation a little bit >>> Shear Stress = G * Shear Strain >>> Shear Stress = P/A >>>> P = G * Shear Strain * 20mm * 150mm then boom you get 300 kN...

But there is a longer way I want to understand. Correct me in my process because I know I'm wrong and I think I know where..
View attachment 211829

So...
1) The angle I calculate for shear strain. Where do I measure it from?
2) Is poissons ratio 0? The picture seems to indicate there is no lateral contraction...if not, how do I calculate it?
Poisson's ratio is not equal to zero. Poisson's ratio is a property of the material, not a strain effect in any particular problem. If you want to understand what is happening here (in another way), you need to go back and examine more closely the derivation of the equation relating the shear modulus to Young's modulus and the Poisson ratio.

Chestermiller said:
Poisson's ratio is not equal to zero. Poisson's ratio is a property of the material, not a strain effect in any particular problem. If you want to understand what is happening here (in another way), you need to go back and examine more closely the derivation of the equation relating the shear modulus to Young's modulus and the Poisson ratio.

While I understand your advice, that's why I'm here. I don't get it. I wouldn't just go through all this trouble posting a thread if I didn't already try to understand this.

brk51 said:
While I understand your advice, that's why I'm here. I don't get it. I wouldn't just go through all this trouble posting a thread if I didn't already try to understand this.
OK. I understand now. Let me get back to you in a little while.

Chestermiller said:
OK. I understand now. Let me get back to you in a little while.
ok thank you

OK. You are interested in the derivation of the shear modulus as a function of Young's modulus and Poisson's ratio. The derivation that I am familiar with starts out with a square object that has a square inscribed within it, oriented at an angle of 45 degrees to the outer square. Is this where your derivation starts out?

the book
Chestermiller said:
OK. You are interested in the derivation of the shear modulus as a function of Young's modulus and Poisson's ratio. The derivation that I am familiar with starts out with a square object that has a square inscribed within it, oriented at an angle of 45 degrees to the outer square. Is this where your derivation starts out?
the book just uses variables but yes essentially continue..

brk51 said:
the book

the book just uses variables but yes essentially continue..
I don't quite follow. Can you please elaborate?

ther
Chestermiller said:
I don't quite follow. Can you please elaborate?
Are we talking about the problem I posted above or the literal derivation of the shear modulus

brk51 said:
ther

Are we talking about the problem I posted above or the literal derivation of the shear modulus
The literal derivation of the shear modulus.

Chestermiller said:
The literal derivation of the shear modulus.
Ok yes..

The derivation assumes that the outer square is subjected to a tensile stress of ##\sigma## in the x direction and a tensile stress of ##-\sigma## (i.e., a compressive stress) in the y direction. This results in a homogeneous state of stress (and strain) within the object. Are we together so far?

yessir

The stress loading I described causes the object to stretch in the x direction, and to compress an equal amount in the y direction. It also causes the horizontal diagonal of the inscribed square to stretch in the x direction, and the vertical diagonal to compress in the y direction. The strains in these diagonals are the same as in the x and y directions u for the outer square. Still OK?

Last edited:
Chestermiller said:
The stress loading I described causes the object to stretch in the x direction, and to compress an equal amount in the y direction. It also causes the horizontal diagonal of the inscribed square to stretch in the x direction, and the vertical diagonal to compress in the y direction. The strains in these diagonals are the same as in the x and y directions u for the outer square. Still OK?
Apologize wifi in the library is not too hot,

yes I get that.

OK. I have something I need to do now. Be back tomorrow.

Along the boundary of the inscribed square, the inscribed square exerts a normal stress and a shear stress on each of the four small right triangles that surround it, in order for these four triangles to be held in static equilibrium. From a force balance on the upper-right-hand triangle, what is the normal stress and shear stress that the inscribed square exerts at its boundary with this triangle?

Related to Mechanics of Materials Question

What is the Mechanics of Materials?

The Mechanics of Materials is a branch of engineering that deals with the study of the behavior of materials under various loading conditions. It involves the analysis of how materials deform, break, and withstand forces and stresses.

What are the main topics covered in Mechanics of Materials?

The main topics covered in Mechanics of Materials include stress, strain, elasticity, plasticity, deformation, failure, and the design of structural components such as beams, columns, and shafts.

What are the applications of Mechanics of Materials?

Mechanics of Materials has various applications in engineering fields such as civil, mechanical, aerospace, and biomedical. It is used to design and analyze structures and mechanical components to ensure their safety and reliability.

What are the different types of stresses and strains in Mechanics of Materials?

The different types of stresses include tensile, compressive, shear, and bending stresses. The corresponding strains are axial, lateral, shear, and bending strains. These stresses and strains are related through material properties such as Young's Modulus and Poisson's ratio.

What are the methods used to analyze the behavior of materials in Mechanics of Materials?

The two main methods used in Mechanics of Materials are the strength of materials approach and the mechanics of deformable bodies approach. The strength of materials approach uses simplified equations to determine the stress and strain in a material, while the mechanics of deformable bodies approach uses more complex mathematical models to analyze the behavior of materials.