Mechanism of tautomerisation in AgCN and AgNC?

• Thread starter Ansuman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanism
In summary, the conversation discusses tautomerization in AgCN and AgNC, and whether the same process is possible in KCN and KNC. One person initially thought it was not a tautomerization, but later realizes that it can be classified as such according to the IUPAC Gold Book. The other person mentions that they are more familiar with calling it isomerization, and the process is believed to be caused by the excitation of the bending mode.
Ansuman
Can anyone give a detailed mechanism for the tautomerization in AgCN and AgNC and is the same possible in KCN and KNC ??

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I don't know what you mean by "detailed mechanism" here, but I can't tell you that this is not a tautomerization, simply an isomerization.

Dynamic equilibrium existing between two constitutional isomers is TAUTOMERIZATION( a specific type of isomerization), right, that's what is happening here, but can a mechanism be presented??

Apologies, I was wrong. I thought that tautomerization only applied when H was being exchanged, but looking in the IUPAC Gold Book, it is more general than that. That said, I always heard it referred to as isomerization in the case of KCN, and even HCN with which I am more familiar.

Apart from writing KCN##\rightleftharpoons##KNC, I don't know of anything more complicated. I always understood it as being due to the excitation of the bending mode.

Related to Mechanism of tautomerisation in AgCN and AgNC?

1. What is the mechanism of tautomerisation in AgCN and AgNC?

The mechanism of tautomerisation in AgCN and AgNC involves the interconversion between two forms of the same molecule, known as tautomers. In this process, the position of a hydrogen atom and the double bond shift between two possible locations, resulting in the formation of a new molecule with different chemical properties.

2. What is the role of silver in the tautomerisation process?

Silver acts as a catalyst in the tautomerisation process of AgCN and AgNC. It helps to facilitate the movement of the hydrogen atom and double bond, leading to the formation of the tautomers. Without silver, the tautomerisation process would be much slower or may not occur at all.

3. How does the tautomerisation of AgCN and AgNC affect their chemical properties?

The tautomerisation process significantly alters the chemical properties of AgCN and AgNC. The two tautomers formed have different molecular structures, resulting in different physical and chemical properties. For example, one tautomer may be more stable or reactive than the other, leading to variations in their reactivity and potential applications.

4. What factors influence the rate of tautomerisation in AgCN and AgNC?

The rate of tautomerisation in AgCN and AgNC is affected by various factors, such as temperature, concentration, and presence of other substances. Higher temperatures and concentrations can increase the rate of tautomerisation, while the presence of certain substances may inhibit or promote the process.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the tautomerisation process in AgCN and AgNC?

Yes, the tautomerisation process in AgCN and AgNC has practical applications in fields such as organic synthesis and materials science. For example, the different chemical properties of the tautomers can be utilized in the development of new drugs or materials with specific properties. Additionally, the tautomerisation process can also occur in biological systems, playing a role in various metabolic processes.