Minimum number of pixels of the image sensor to identify an object?

• Engineering
  • Thread starter eitan77
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cameras
eitan77
Homework Statement
Assume that the camera Field Of View is U, the lens focal length is F and the number of pixels of the detector (image sensor) is N. The camera is observing the objects at a very far distance. Assume that you want to identify an object, whose size is 1% of U. What is the minimum number (approximately) of the pixels of the detector you need for that?

I am new in this field and would appreciate it if you could help me understand how to get to the answer (My solution seems illogical to me)

Note: if it matters this is a theoretical question and not for an actual device.
Relevant Equations
## \theta =2arctan(d/2F) ##
## \theta = 2arctan(U/2D) ##
## pixels size= (object size)/N ##

d- the image sensor size
D- the distance between the object and the lens

d is unknown and D is considered very big.
##d/2F = U/2D##
##d'/2F = 0.01U/2D##
d' - the size of the object's reflection on the image sensor
##pixels size = d/N ##

since we want N to be minimal, the pixel size should be maximal: pixels size = d'

hence : ## N = d/(pixels size) = d/d' = 100 ##
My final answer does not depend on U & F which seems strange to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Doesn't it kind of matter what the object is, and what the context is?

It seems to me that identifying an orange in a desert might require fewer pixels than identifying the "R" variant of an F-4J against the canopy of a jungle.

DaveC426913 said:
Doesn't it kind of matter what the object is, and what the context is?

It seems to me that identifying an orange in a desert might require fewer pixels than identifying the "R" variant of an F-4J against the canopy of a jungle.
This is not specified in the task, I guess it can be assumed that this is the simplest case that can be thought of.

I think this problem is a question of signal detection in noise.

There is only a probability, no certainty, that the object is present, where it may have been detected.

The variability of the target object being searched for, reduces the certainty of the detection.

A probability threshold for detection must be decided based on experience.

This is very much underspecified. What is the criterion for "recognizing" the object?? All you have written is that the angle subtended by the image and the object (from the lens center) will be the same. You need to specify that minimum required angle somehow. Then the pixels required can be calculated because you know the magnification of the lens when you know
I believe you have calculated N such that the image of the object will fill exactly one pixel....but even that is not clear to me.

hutchphd said:
I believe you have calculated N such that the image of the object will fill exactly one pixel....but even that is not clear to me.
That's what I did.

hutchphd said:
This is very much underspecified. What is the criterion for "recognizing" the object?? All you have written is that the angle subtended by the image and the object (from the lens center) will be the same. You need to specify that minimum required angle somehow. Then the pixels required can be calculated because you know the magnification of the lens when you know
the minimum requierd angle is not ## arctan (d'/2F)## ?

What exactly does "recognized" mean ? If the object is Mickey Mouse, for instance, do we need to be sure it is not Minnie Mouse instead? That changes the criterion.
Also, in the real world, there may be limits imposed by diffraction and lens aberrations. Additionally the visual contrast of Mickey relative to the background will be important.

Last edited:
Actually the issue of contrast brings along another question: the worst case scenario in your simple case is that the square object images equally onto the corners of four adjacent pixels. The change in response of any one pixel (caused by the object) will then be smaller by a factor of four. Is it good enough? Not enough criteria presented.
So what you did is not wrong, but far too simple to be of practical utility as I hope is clear to you from all the answers. You did warn that it was strictly a theoretical exercise!!

Shannon says you must sample at twice the spatial frequency of the object you are looking for. The aperture, in square pixels, must then be 4 times the target object area.

What is the minimum number of pixels needed to identify an object?

The minimum number of pixels needed to identify an object depends on several factors, including the size and complexity of the object, the distance between the object and the camera, and the quality of the image sensor. Generally, a higher number of pixels will result in a clearer and more detailed image, making it easier to identify an object. However, a minimum of 5-10 pixels per object is typically recommended for reliable identification.

How does the size of an object affect the minimum number of pixels needed for identification?

The size of an object can greatly impact the minimum number of pixels needed for identification. Smaller objects will require a higher number of pixels in order to capture enough detail for accurate identification. On the other hand, larger objects may be identifiable with fewer pixels, as they will take up more space on the image sensor.

Does the distance between the object and the camera affect the minimum number of pixels needed for identification?

Yes, the distance between the object and the camera can impact the minimum number of pixels needed for identification. The further away an object is, the smaller it will appear on the image sensor, requiring a higher number of pixels for clear and accurate identification. Additionally, a longer distance can also result in a decrease in image quality, making it more difficult to identify an object.

How does the quality of the image sensor affect the minimum number of pixels needed for identification?

The quality of the image sensor is a crucial factor in determining the minimum number of pixels needed for identification. A higher quality image sensor will produce clearer and more detailed images, allowing for accurate identification with a lower number of pixels. On the other hand, a lower quality image sensor may require a higher number of pixels for identification, as the images captured may be less clear and detailed.

Are there any other factors besides pixel count that can affect the identification of an object?

Yes, there are several other factors that can affect the identification of an object, including lighting conditions, camera settings, and the type of object being identified. Poor lighting can result in blurry or dark images, making it difficult to identify an object regardless of the number of pixels. Similarly, incorrect camera settings can also impact the quality of the image and make identification more challenging. Finally, certain objects, such as highly reflective or transparent objects, may require specialized techniques or equipment for accurate identification.