Mobius transformations - I don't get this example

In summary, the conversation discusses the mapping of a circle to a line using a Möbius transformation. The concept of finite points on the circle that do not map to infinity is explained, and it is mentioned that two points on the circle can be chosen to determine the line, as long as they are not on the point that maps to infinity. The reason for the line having to be in either the left or right half plane is also discussed.
nacho-man
Please refer to the attached image (sorry for the bad cropping, they were on separate pages)

I don't get what is meant by "two finite points''. Are these any two points which aren't equal to infinity?
Could i have chosen f(1) and f(2) ? what am i not understanding.
IF someone could explain this, that would be wonderful.

I also don't quite understand the reason of what they say afterwards, Why should the line have to be in either the left or right half plane? Is it because the interior of C must be one-to-one, and for that to occur, C must be a disk excluding the point zero?
Following from this, it's inverse will be a line which is either in the negative plane, or either in the positive?

Thanks!

Attachments

• help.jpg
    help.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe what they mean by finite points in this case is points on the circle that do not map to infinity. I think the idea is that since we know the circle is mapped to a line (from this being a Möbius transformation and the point $z=4$ being a pole of
$w=f(z)$), we can pick two points on the circle and consider their images and that will determine the line so long as we don't pick the point that maps to infinity. So $f(1)$ wouldn't be any good as it is not on the circle C.

To your second question, I think the gist of what the solution says is that the inside and outside of the circle must map to the left or right of the line. Checkout Example 3 on pg 13:

http://www.johno.dk/mathematics/moebius.pdf

conscipost said:
I believe what they mean by finite points in this case is points on the circle that do not map to infinity. I think the idea is that since we know the circle is mapped to a line (from this being a Möbius transformation and the point $z=4$ being a pole of
$w=f(z)$), we can pick two points on the circle and consider their images and that will determine the line so long as we don't pick the point that maps to infinity. So $f(1)$ wouldn't be any good as it is not on the circle C.

To your second question, I think the gist of what the solution says is that the inside and outside of the circle must map to the left or right of the line. Checkout Example 3 on pg 13:

http://www.johno.dk/mathematics/moebius.pdf

I think I need to back track a little bit.

Circles can be mapped to either a line or circle.
In this case we know that it is a line, because the circle contains the pole at $z=4$, since we are working with a circle of radius 2, centered at $(2,0)$.

How is $f(1)$ not on the circle? Do you mean that we have to pick points ON the boundary of the circle, and that they can't be inside?

nacho said:
I think I need to back track a little bit.

Circles can be mapped to either a line or circle.
In this case we know that it is a line, because the circle contains the pole at $z=4$, since we are working with a circle of radius 2, centered at $(2,0)$.

How is $f(1)$ not on the circle? Do you mean that we have to pick points ON the boundary of the circle, and that they can't be inside?

That was exactly what I meant. remember we are first considering the mapping of the "boundary" of the circle, which as you said is a line. If we choose two points other than z=4 on the the boundary then and consider their mappings we should get two points on the line (the line in this case being the y-axis).

I would like to clarify some points about Mobius transformations.

Firstly, a Mobius transformation is a type of complex function that maps points on the complex plane to other points on the complex plane. It is defined by the formula f(z) = (az + b)/(cz + d), where a, b, c, and d are complex numbers.

In the attached image, the two points mentioned refer to the points labeled as P and Q. These points are finite points, meaning they are not equal to infinity. You could have chosen any two finite points, such as f(1) and f(2), to illustrate the concept.

The reason for mentioning that the line must be in either the left or right half plane is because the Mobius transformation must be one-to-one, meaning each point on the input plane must map to a unique point on the output plane. This is necessary for the inverse mapping to exist. The interior of the circle C must be excluded because if C includes the point zero, the inverse mapping would not be well-defined.

In conclusion, Mobius transformations can be a bit complex to understand at first, but they are important in the study of complex analysis and have many applications in mathematics and physics. I hope this explanation helps clarify some of your questions.

Related to Mobius transformations - I don't get this example

1. What is a Mobius transformation?

A Mobius transformation is a type of mathematical function that maps points from one complex plane to another. It is also known as a linear fractional transformation or a conformal mapping.

2. How is a Mobius transformation different from other types of transformations?

Unlike other transformations that preserve shapes and sizes of objects, a Mobius transformation can distort and shrink objects. It also has the ability to map an entire complex plane onto another.

3. What is the general form of a Mobius transformation?

The general form of a Mobius transformation is given by f(z) = (az + b) / (cz + d), where z is a complex number and a, b, c, and d are complex coefficients. These coefficients must satisfy the condition ad - bc ≠ 0 in order for the function to be well-defined.

4. Can you provide an example of a Mobius transformation?

One example of a Mobius transformation is f(z) = (2z + 1) / (z - 3), which maps the complex plane onto itself. This function rotates points on the plane around the point z = 3 and scales them by a factor of 2.

5. How are Mobius transformations used in real-world applications?

Mobius transformations have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are commonly used in complex analysis, differential geometry, and computer graphics. They also have practical applications in fields such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and control systems.