Multivariable calc, boat moving on river functions problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 40m wide river and a boat crossing from point a to point b at a constant velocity of 5 m/s. The goal is to determine the angle the boat should head in order to cross the river. After some discussion and clarification, the solution is to use the x-component equation and integrate with respect to t to find the angle alpha at ∫f(0).
mike1967

Homework Statement

there is a straight river 40m wide.
the water speed on the river can be expressed as the function f(x)=3sin(∏x/40)
If a boat is to cross the river from point a to point b at a constant velocity of 5 m/s determine the angle the boater should head.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

it will take 8 seconds for the boater to cross the river.
I am thinking that since I am given that the river is 40m wide,
that I should integrate f(x) to find the distance the boater will have traveled after 8 seconds. then take the inverse tangent of (40/(∫f(x)|0->8?) to find the angle?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi mike1967! :wink:
mike1967 said:
there is a straight river 40m wide.

If a boat is to cross the river from point a to point b at a constant velocity of 5 m/s determine the angle the boater should head.

it will take 8 seconds for the boater to cross the river.

no it won't :redface:

start again! :smile:

I'm not sure where to start then. I figured t=8 because v(t)=5 to x(t)=5t 40=5t 8=t.

start by calling the angle "θ",

then find t from the x-component equation :smile:

Related to Multivariable calc, boat moving on river functions problem

What is multivariable calculus?

Multivariable calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of more than one independent variable. It extends the concepts of calculus, such as derivatives and integrals, to multiple variables.

What is a boat moving on river functions problem?

A boat moving on river functions problem is a type of multivariable calculus problem that involves finding the path of a boat that is moving on a river with varying currents. This problem typically involves using the boat's velocity and the river's current as functions of time.

Why is this problem important?

This problem is important because it allows us to understand and analyze the motion of objects in a real-world scenario where multiple variables are at play. It also has practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation.

What are some common strategies for solving this type of problem?

One common strategy is to define the position of the boat as a vector function of time and then use vector calculus techniques, such as taking the derivative, to find the boat's velocity and acceleration. Another strategy is to convert the problem into a system of equations and solve it using methods such as elimination or substitution.

What are some challenges that may arise when solving this problem?

One challenge is accurately modeling the varying currents of the river. This may require advanced mathematical techniques and assumptions. Another challenge is choosing the appropriate coordinate system and managing the different variables involved in the problem. Additionally, finding the optimal path of the boat may require optimization techniques.