My Professor frequently uses the term higher dimensions. Could someone

In summary, dimensions are a concept in mathematics that indicates the number of coordinate points that are needed to uniquely specify a point in a space. Dimensions can be either physical or abstract. Dimensions can also vary depending on the context.
hivesaeed4
My Professor frequently uses the term higher dimensions. Could someone tell me exactly what is a dimension. I think of it as some parameter which can vary. Also, I only know of 4 dimensions: time, length, width and height. Could someone give me more examples of dimensions? And lastly could temperature be taken as a dimension, I mean if my (above) notion of a dimension is correct then temperature is adimension as it tis a parameter/quantity/entity/something which can vary.

Physics news on Phys.org

Not sure if all the math gurus here agree, but let me give you my interpretation.

I think to understand what a dimension is, you must understand the concept of space first.

There is physical space - the one you know about. A dimension is some direction in the space: so there's three spatial dimensions, and maybe time, right?

So the minimal number of coordinates you need to specify a unique point in the physical space is 3 or 4 (depending on if you count time) - ironically this number is also called the dimension of space.

But there might be also other -more abstract- spaces! For instance, you can keep track of the amount of apples you have, the amount of banana's and the amount of pears! Then, in this space of fruit you can have the point (1,2,3) referring to the fact that you own 1 apple, 2 banana's and 3 pears. The dimension of this space is three, and the number of dimensions in it is also three (as you see the language is pretty poorly designed here). Of course by adding pineapples and grapefruits you can easily go to 5 dimensional space.

This is of course not a space as in the conventional sense of the word, but more a mathematical sense: space and dimensions are just a concept to keep track of things.

Most of the time spaces have some added structure, like some concept of 'distance', but as can be seen from my fruity example, sometimes that's not even the case! For instance is the point where you have 1 apple closer of further from the point where you have only one pear than from the point where you have only 1 banana? But that may be too far from you question.

There are many different definitions: Lebesgue-covering, Hausdorff, etc. Maybe if you tell us more about the context, we may be better able to suggest something.

Related to My Professor frequently uses the term higher dimensions. Could someone

What are higher dimensions?

Higher dimensions refer to dimensions beyond the three-dimensional space that we experience in our daily lives. It is a concept in mathematics and physics that suggests there could be additional dimensions beyond the length, width, and height that we are familiar with.

Why does my professor use the term higher dimensions?

Your professor may use the term higher dimensions because it is a fundamental concept in many areas of science, such as string theory, quantum mechanics, and cosmology. Understanding higher dimensions is crucial in exploring the nature of the universe and solving complex scientific problems.

How many dimensions are there?

According to current scientific theories, there could be up to 11 dimensions, including the three dimensions of space and one dimension of time that we experience. However, some theories suggest there could be even more dimensions beyond the 11th dimension, but this is still a topic of ongoing research and debate.

What are some possible applications of higher dimensions?

The concept of higher dimensions has various applications in science and technology. For example, it can help us understand the behavior of subatomic particles, develop new technologies in quantum computing and communication, and explore the possibility of parallel universes.

How can I visualize higher dimensions?

Visualizing higher dimensions can be challenging since our brains are accustomed to perceiving only three dimensions. However, some mathematical models and computer simulations can help us understand and visualize higher dimensions. Some people also use analogies, such as imagining a two-dimensional being trying to understand the concept of a three-dimensional world, to help grasp the concept of higher dimensions.