Need a bit of help with arrow speed.

• Thread starter wateroksnmud
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bit Speed
In summary, the conversation discusses the need to create a calculator that calculates the speed of an arrow being shot from a bow, given the weight behind the string and the weight of the arrow. The person is seeking help and has looked at some online resources for inspiration, but finds the formulas confusing. The calculator is not for homework, but for a website on archery. The conversation also mentions the connection between archery and physics, providing a few links to further information on the topic.
wateroksnmud
Hi! To start off I am an archer. I'm currently a freshmen working towards my degree but have not yet made it to physics. The issue is that I need to create a calculator that I can use to find the speed of an arrow being shot from a bow when I have X (the weight behind the string) and Y (the weight of the arrow in grains). Where do I even start?

I have read some of the posts in here as I love math and would love to do this myself, but a lot of the formula's look like hieroglyphics right now.

This is calculator is not homework but for a site I'm building. You can see it nolimitsarchery.com

I appreciate any help in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! As a fellow scientist and archer, I would be happy to help you with your calculator. The first thing you need to know is that the speed of the arrow is determined by several factors, including the weight of the arrow, the weight behind the string, and the bow's draw weight. To calculate the speed, you will need to use a formula called the "arrow speed formula," which takes into account all of these factors.

The formula is: Arrow Speed = (Weight behind the string / (Arrow weight x Bow's draw weight)) x 225. Your weight measurements should be in the same unit (either pounds or kilograms) for accurate results.

To make things easier, you can use an online calculator or a spreadsheet to plug in your numbers and get the arrow speed. There are also apps available for download that can do this calculation for you.

I understand that the formula may seem daunting at first, but with a little practice and understanding of the variables involved, you should be able to use it effectively. If you have any further questions or need clarification, please don't hesitate to reach out. Happy shooting!

Related to Need a bit of help with arrow speed.

What factors affect arrow speed?

The main factors that affect arrow speed include the draw weight of the bow, the type and weight of the arrow, the length of the arrow, and the type of bowstring used. Other factors such as the archer's technique and environmental conditions can also play a role.

How can I increase my arrow speed?

To increase your arrow speed, you can try using a lighter arrow, increasing the draw weight of your bow, using a shorter arrow, and using a high-performance bowstring. Additionally, improving your shooting technique and practicing regularly can also help improve arrow speed.

What is the average arrow speed for a recurve bow?

The average arrow speed for a recurve bow is around 170-200 feet per second (fps). However, this can vary depending on the draw weight of the bow, the type of arrow used, and the archer's skill level.

Is arrow speed important for accuracy?

Yes, arrow speed does play a role in accuracy. A faster arrow typically has less time to be affected by outside forces such as wind, which can help improve accuracy. However, it is also important to have proper form and technique for consistent and accurate shots.

How can I measure my arrow speed?

There are several ways to measure arrow speed, including using a chronograph or a speedometer. These devices measure the speed of an arrow as it passes through a set distance. Some archery ranges may also have equipment that can measure arrow speed. Alternatively, you can estimate your arrow speed by using an online arrow speed calculator and inputting your bow's specifications and arrow weight.