Non youtube courses and paid textbooks to learn algorithms?

oslon
I am not going to watch youtube anymore because of advertisements and it was never worth it anyways to pay for. I'm not going to pay for either a college fail student trying to earn some sidecash in India or some genuis professor who simply doesn't care if the students learn from him. Youtube is the worst place to learn something. People feel like they learnt something when they watch youtube lecs and that's the biggest delusion.
So, recommend me some books and courses to learn algorithms.
I can pay good sum(w.r.to my earnings) if the course is taught in real whiteboard/blackboard/greenboard and taught in traditional way. I can also pay good sum if the book has lots of diagram (not unnecessary manga type books or something like grokking books, but succint diagrams).
I don't need to learn to implement the data structures/algorithms in any programming language, simply because I am not a web developer/software developer or anything to do with development. I just need to pass my competitive exams which are very tough. If I know programming that's bonus though. And I don't mind learning programming as well if it's well presented/documented.
I searched udemy and found no good courses.
Colt Steele knows nothing to teach
Abdul bari is bs.
Other indians are teaching nonsense in udemy.
Blogs are very surface level. Since this is not my first time studying algorithms, I don't want to go surface level.
https://www.javatpoint.com/data-structure-tutorial
Just take a look at this stupid blog.
CLRS is too tough though, and I don't need proofs at all. I just need to learn the flow of algorithms(how to apply them type).
As science says, when you find something too easy, you learn nothing; when you find something too hard, you learn nothing. So, there should be appropriate level of difficulty compared to learner.
Hope I'm not misinterpreted because of saying "i don't want too easy, neither too hard". Easy to get misinterpreted in internet, which is the home of many trolls.

I've skillshare subscription, oreilly subscription as well. I've seen sidewick's algorithms course on oreilly and it looks great indeed. I'm looking for extra options as well, why not? Specially books and courses.
I just skimmed through sidewick, skiena, grokking, narasimha, CLRS and none of the books are my type.
I like books like Deitel Operating System which have lots of illustrations (SUCCINT ILLUSTRATIONS, not nonsense HEAD FIRST books drawing).

Please recommend something crazily well written and very readable? Or something that's very well taught?

Technology news on Phys.org
You've put an awful lot of conditions on. Good luck.

• Haha
Likes oslon
I have always liked the Schaum's Outline series for self-study. They are reasonably inexpensive and include a lot of worked examples and exercises. (I have never used one for a computer language, but I hope that they would be similar.)

Likes hutchphd and jedishrfu
I don't have one, but the book's "300 algorithms in 300 pages" does not sound like it matches what the OP is looking for.

• Informative
Likes oslon
I recommend

The Art of Computer Programming​

(Fundamental Algorithms), 3rd Edition, Vol. 1 by Knuth​

It's generally considered the bible of learning algorithms. You should be able to find a used copy online for about $25.

Likes Tom.G, harborsparrow and FactChecker
Vanadium 50 said:
I don't have one, but the book's "300 algorithms in 300 pages" does not sound like it matches what the OP is looking for.
you're correct. I'm in weird situation. I'll rather go with a difficult to follow book than an easy one as I don't see a way to get a proper simplicity level of book..

Another resource is rosettacode.org where various algorithms are rendered a multitude of programming languages.

You can learn by dissecting the solution for a given algorithm.

Likes sysprog1
"Algorithms" might be too big a topic these days. Sorting? Bucket hashing? Machine learning? Database theory? Large language models? These are very, very different kinds of domains of knowledge, and I doubt one will find it all in any one book. Back in 1962, Donald Knuth wrote his algorithms "monograph" in seven volumes, long before the advent of AI.

I congratulate the question poster on recognizing the frequent misuse of social media, such as YouTube, by non-experts claiming to know more than they actually do. Please enjoy a cartoon about the now widespread phenomenon of not respecting technical expertise:

https://condenaststore.com/featured/these-smug-pilots-have-lost-touch-with-regular-will-mcphail.html

Likes phinds

1. What are some recommended non-YouTube courses for learning algorithms?

For those looking to learn algorithms through structured, non-YouTube courses, platforms like Coursera, Udacity, and edX offer comprehensive programs. Notable courses include "Algorithms Specialization" by Stanford University on Coursera, and "Intro to Algorithms" by MIT on edX. These courses often provide a mix of video lectures, readings, and hands-on problem-solving exercises.

2. What are some well-regarded paid textbooks for studying algorithms?

Some of the most highly recommended textbooks for studying algorithms include "Introduction to Algorithms" by Cormen, Leiserson, Rivest, and Stein, often referred to as CLRS. Another excellent resource is "Algorithms" by Robert Sedgewick and Kevin Wayne, which is particularly well-regarded for its clear explanations and practical examples. These books cover a broad range of topics and are used in academic settings worldwide.

3. Are there any online platforms that offer paid resources specifically for algorithms?

Yes, platforms like Brilliant.org and LeetCode offer paid resources that are specifically tailored to learning and practicing algorithms. Brilliant.org provides interactive learning experiences that are great for understanding the concepts deeply, while LeetCode offers extensive problem sets that are ideal for practice and preparation for coding interviews.

4. How do paid resources compare to free resources in terms of learning algorithms?

Paid resources often provide a more structured learning experience, professional support, and advanced content that might not be available for free. They may also offer personalized feedback, certifications, and access to a community of learners. Free resources are excellent for self-directed learners and those looking to supplement their learning but might lack the depth or breadth of paid programs.

5. What should I look for when choosing a resource to study algorithms?

When choosing a resource for studying algorithms, consider your learning style, the comprehensiveness of the content, the credibility of the instructors or authors, and the type of support offered. Also, think about your specific goals, such as preparing for job interviews or gaining a deep understanding of computational theories. Finally, reviews and recommendations from other learners can also be helpful in making a decision.