Old Quantum Theory & Quantization of Action

In summary, the Berry-Keating conjecture is that the Riemann hypothesis is true, and the Gutzwiller trace formula is a way to calculate the probability of finding a particular solution to a quantum system.
tom.stoer
Science Advisor
"Old quantum theory" was derived using "quantization of action" in phase space

##\oint p\,dp = nh##

Does "quantization of action" still make sense using canonical quantization?

Physics news on Phys.org
http://physics.njnu.edu.cn/users/papers/20120331092408.pdf

"Berry and Tabor investigated the relation of the Gutzwiller periodic orbit formalism to the EBK torus quantization. They found that the algebraic sum of the contributions from all the periodic orbits orbits gives the density of states of the integrable system."

Predrag Cvitanovic's textbook has quite a few chapters on quantum chaos. The chapter on semiclassical quantization talks about the Gutzwiller trace formula. http://chaosbook.org/

Last edited by a moderator:
I know (knew) some of the results of Gutzwiller et al. But I think that in the PI "quantization of action" does no longer exist, b/c all paths do contribute. So "quantization of action" is a classical concept to derive QM, it applies to some special solutions, but I don't see it anywhere in the final theory, at least not at the fundamental level.

My summary is that - except for semiclassical approximations - there is nothing like "quantization of action" in quantum mechanics.

Any ideas?

There is. In many cases, path integrals are too difficult to solve exactly. Therefore physics tend use lattice grid calculations and in order to sum over different trajectories. This invoked divided space time into little 4D volumes and considering the action over each of these 4D cubes. This method first shows up in QCD calculations. See
http://theory.physics.helsinki.fi/~qftgroup/paco/Panero.pdf

I worked with lattice QCD and other Monte Carlo simulations; there is no fundamental quantization of action, it is introduced via the discretization only.

tom.stoer said:
My summary is that - except for semiclassical approximations - there is nothing like "quantization of action" in quantum mechanics.

Any ideas?

I agree. The canonical commutation relations are primary. Then "quantization of action" is useful in the semiclassical regime, using EBK or Gutzwiller like formulae. The "action" in the path integral is not semiclassical, but as you said, isn't quantized, and must be related to the canonical formulation using things like Osterwalder-Schrader conditions.

I have to confess I'm intrigued by Gutzwiller trace formula because of the Berry-Keating conjecture about quantum mechanics and the Riemann hypothesis.

Last edited:

Related to Old Quantum Theory & Quantization of Action

1. What is the Old Quantum Theory?

The Old Quantum Theory is a theory proposed by Max Planck in 1900 to explain the behavior of energy at a microscopic level. It states that energy is not continuous, but instead exists in discrete packets called "quanta". This theory laid the foundations for modern quantum mechanics.

2. What is Quantization of Action?

Quantization of Action is a fundamental principle in the Old Quantum Theory that states that energy can only be absorbed or emitted in discrete units, or quanta. This means that energy is not continuous, but instead comes in specific, quantized amounts.

3. How did the Old Quantum Theory differ from classical physics?

The Old Quantum Theory introduced the concept of quantization, which was not present in classical physics. Classical physics believed that energy was continuous and could take on any value, while the Old Quantum Theory proposed that energy was quantized and could only exist in specific amounts.

4. What were the major contributions of the Old Quantum Theory?

The Old Quantum Theory laid the foundations for modern quantum mechanics and revolutionized our understanding of the behavior of energy at a microscopic level. It also led to the development of the Bohr model of the atom, which explained the electron's behavior in an atom.

5. How was the Old Quantum Theory eventually replaced?

The Old Quantum Theory was eventually replaced by the more comprehensive theory of quantum mechanics, which was developed in the 1920s. Quantum mechanics built upon the principles of the Old Quantum Theory and provided a more complete understanding of the behavior of particles at a microscopic level.