On limit of function and proof of chain rule

In summary, a limit of a function f at x=p is defined as follows: Let E be the domain of f and p be a limit point of E. If there exists a point q∈E such that for all ε>0 there exists a δ>0 such that for all t∈E for which d(t,p)<δ implies d(f(t),q)<ε, then we say that f(t)->q as t->p. This definition is then applied to two scenarios: 1) when f is continuous on a closed interval [a,b] and g is defined on an interval I containing the range of f and 2) when f is continuous on a closed interval [a,b] and f'(x
jwqwerty
Definition of 'Limit of function (f) at x=p'

Let E be domain of f and p be a limit point of E. Let Y be the range of f.

If there exists q∈E such that for all ε>0 there exists δ>0 such that for all t∈E for which d(t,p)<δ implies d(f(t),q)<ε. Then we say that f(t)->q as t->p.

1) Suppose f is continuous on [a,b] and g is defined on an interval I which contains the range of f.
Since f is continuous on [a,b] for any x in [a,b], as t->x, f(t)->f(x).
Let s be an element of I. Then can we say that as t->x. s->f(x)?

2) Suppose f is continuous on [a.b], f'(x) exists at some point x in [a,b]. g is defined on an
interval I which contains the range of f and g is differentiable at the point f(x).
This is what i want to prove: g'(f(x))=g'(f(x))f'(x)

This is what i have tried:
[g(f(t))-g(f(x))]/[t-x]= [g(f(t))-g(f(x))]/[f(t)-f(x)] * [f(t)-f(x)]/[t-x]
Letting t->x, we see that f(t)->f(x). Thus, g'(f(x))= g'(f(x)) * f'(x)
Is something wrong with this proof?

Physics news on Phys.org
jwqwerty said:
1) Suppose f is continuous on [a,b] and g is defined on an interval I which contains the range of f.
Since f is continuous on [a,b] for any x in [a,b], as t->x, f(t)->f(x).
Let s be an element of I. Then can we say that as t->x. s->f(x)?
It doesn't make sense to write s→f(x). For example, if I=[0,4], s=3 and f(x)=5, this would say that 3→5.

jwqwerty said:
2) Suppose f is continuous on [a.b], f'(x) exists at some point x in [a,b]. g is defined on an
interval I which contains the range of f and g is differentiable at the point f(x).
This is what i want to prove: g'(f(x))=g'(f(x))f'(x)

This is what i have tried:
[g(f(t))-g(f(x))]/[t-x]= [g(f(t))-g(f(x))]/[f(t)-f(x)] * [f(t)-f(x)]/[t-x]
Letting t->x, we see that f(t)->f(x). Thus, g'(f(x))= g'(f(x)) * f'(x)
Is something wrong with this proof?
This is a good way to guess what the result will be, but it's not a proof. To say that ##f(t)\to f(x)## as ##t\to x## is to say that f has a limit at x, and that limit is f(x). This is a statement about f, so you can't immediately conclude that it ensures that ##\frac{g\circ f-g(f(x))}{f-f(x)}## has a limit at x.

Fredrik said:
It doesn't make sense to write s→f(x). For example, if I=[0,4], s=3 and f(x)=5, this would say that 3→5.

In here, I must contain the range of f, thus f(x) cannot be 5. And also, s does not refer to specific number in I, like t in t->x

jwqwerty said:
In here, I must contain the range of f, thus f(x) cannot be 5.
You're right. My mistake. So let me correct my example: If I=[0,6], s=3 and f(x)=5, this would say that 3→5

jwqwerty said:
And also, s does not refer to specific number in I, like t in t->x
You said "Let s be an element of I". That comment makes it a specific number in I (assuming that I is a set of numbers).

1) Yes, we can say that as t->x, s->f(x). This is because as t approaches x, the value of f(t) approaches the value of f(x). Therefore, as t gets closer and closer to x, the value of s, which is dependent on f(t), also gets closer and closer to the value of f(x). This is a direct consequence of the definition of a limit of a function.

2) Your proof is correct. The use of the quotient rule and the fact that f(t)->f(x) as t->x is a valid approach to proving the chain rule. However, it may be helpful to provide a more detailed explanation of your steps and why they lead to the desired result. Additionally, it may be useful to mention the properties of continuity and differentiability in your proof to make the reasoning more explicit. Overall, your proof is valid and demonstrates a good understanding of the chain rule.

Related to On limit of function and proof of chain rule

1. What is the limit of a function?

The limit of a function is the value that a function approaches as the input variable gets closer and closer to a particular value. In other words, it is the value that a function "approaches" but does not necessarily reach.

2. How is the limit of a function calculated?

The limit of a function can be calculated using various techniques, such as algebraic manipulation, substitution, and graphing. It is important to note that the limit of a function may not exist if the left and right hand limits do not match or if the function is undefined at the point in question.

3. What is the proof of the chain rule?

The chain rule is a rule used to find the derivative of a composite function. The proof of the chain rule involves using the definition of the derivative and the chain rule for one variable to prove it for multiple variables.

4. Why is the chain rule important?

The chain rule is important because it allows us to find the derivatives of complex functions by breaking them down into simpler functions. It is a fundamental concept in differential calculus and is used extensively in many fields of science and engineering.

5. How can I apply the chain rule to solve real-world problems?

The chain rule can be applied in many real-world scenarios, such as in physics, economics, and engineering. For example, it can be used to find the rate of change of a quantity with respect to time, or to optimize a process by finding the maximum or minimum value of a function. It is a powerful tool for solving problems involving rates of change and optimization.