Operator on a set spaned the space

In summary, the conversation discusses the uniqueness of a linear bounded operator A on a Hilbert space X, spanned by a set S. The operator is well known on S and the question is whether it is also unique on the entire space X. The answer is yes, as shown by considering linear combinations of elements in S and using the fact that the operator is unique on a dense subset.
LikeMath
Hi there,

Let [itex]X[/itex] be a Hilbert (Banach) space, and spanned by a set [itex]S[/itex], say.
Let [itex]A[/itex] be linear bounded operator on X into itself.
Suppose that the operator is well known on S, that is
[itex]Aa_i=b_i[/itex] for all [itex]a_i\in S[/itex].
First, is this operator unique on X? if yes, can we find [itex]Aa[/itex], for general element a in X, in terms of [itex]b_i[/itex].

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
LikeMath said:
spanned by a set [itex]S[/itex]

What do you mean with this?? I ask because you might mean something completely different that I am thinking right now.

That is, the space is generated by the closure of all linear combinations from S.

Ah, I suspected something like that.

The answer is yes, the operator will be unique.

You can see that is two stages: suppose that T is unique on S, then it's also unique on linear combinations of S. Indeed, take a linear combination [itex]a=\sum \lambda_i a_i[/itex], then we have

[tex]T(a)=\sum \lambda_i T(a_i)[/tex]

Then use that if T is unique on a dense subset, then it's unique on the entire set. Indeed, take x in the closure, then there is a sequence [itex]x_n\rightarrow x[/itex]. It must hold that

[tex]T(x_n)\rightarrow T(x)[/tex]

Thank you.
I completely agree with you. But what about the second part of the question, that is
can we find the operator on the whole space X?

Related to Operator on a set spaned the space

1. What is an operator on a set that spans the space?

An operator on a set that spans the space is a function that maps elements from one set to another set. In this case, the operator is defined on a set that consists of all possible linear combinations of vectors that span the entire space.

2. How is an operator on a set that spans the space different from a regular operator?

An operator on a set that spans the space is different from a regular operator because it is defined on a set that covers the entire space, rather than just a subset of the space. This means that the operator can act on any vector in the space, not just those in a specific subspace.

3. What is the purpose of an operator on a set that spans the space?

The purpose of an operator on a set that spans the space is to provide a way to perform operations on vectors in a space without having to specify the vectors individually. This allows for more efficient and concise mathematical operations on vectors.

4. How is an operator on a set that spans the space used in linear algebra?

In linear algebra, an operator on a set that spans the space is used to perform operations on vectors and matrices. It is particularly useful for solving systems of linear equations, as it allows for the manipulation of vectors and matrices without having to write out every individual equation.

5. Can an operator on a set that spans the space be defined on any set of vectors?

No, an operator on a set that spans the space can only be defined on a set of vectors that span the entire space. If the set of vectors does not span the entire space, then the operator will not be able to act on all vectors in the space, and will not be considered an operator on the space.