Orders of elements for rotational symmetries of cube

In summary, the problem is to find a permutation cycle that will rotate the top face of the cube counterclockwise by 90 degrees.
kalish1
I am having lots of trouble doing this problem because I have particularly poor visualization skills. (Or maybe haven't developed them well yet). I would appreciate any help on this math problem.

Here is the question:

Suppose a cube is oriented before you so that from your point of view there is a top face, a bottom face, a front face, a back face, a left face, and a right face. In the group $O$ of rotational symmetries of the cube, let $x$ rotate the top face counterclockwise $90$ degrees, and let $y$ rotate the front face counterclockwise $90$ degrees.

(a) Find $g \in O$ such that $gxg^{-1}=y$ and $g$ has order $4$.
(b) Find $h \in O$ such that $hxh^{-1}=y$ and $h$ has order $3$.
(c) Find $k \in O$ such that $kxk^{-1}=x^{-1}$.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
kalish said:
I am having lots of trouble doing this problem because I have particularly poor visualization skills. (Or maybe haven't developed them well yet). I would appreciate any help on this math problem.

Here is the question:

Suppose a cube is oriented before you so that from your point of view there is a top face, a bottom face, a front face, a back face, a left face, and a right face. In the group $O$ of rotational symmetries of the cube, let $x$ rotate the top face counterclockwise $90$ degrees, and let $y$ rotate the front face counterclockwise $90$ degrees.

(a) Find $g \in O$ such that $gxg^{-1}=y$ and $g$ has order $4$.
(b) Find $h \in O$ such that $hxh^{-1}=y$ and $h$ has order $3$.
(c) Find $k \in O$ such that $kxk^{-1}=x^{-1}$.

Thanks in advance.

Hi kalish!

Do you already have a list of the different rotational symmetries of the cube?
Obviously, g, h, and k have to be one of them.

Did you already make a drawing of a cube and mark x and y in it?

Typically g has to be of the form: turn the front face (that y acts on) somewhere where x can act on it (top face or bottom face), and afterward turn it back again.
This is called a conjugation and it is one of the main tricks to solve puzzles.
Which rotation of the cube will do that?
Can you make a drawing of the result?

If you have difficulty visualizing it, I propose you mark each face of the cube with a letter, say F, B, T, D, L, and R.
And then write a rotational symmetry as a combination of disjoint cycles.
For instance, rotating the top face counter clock wise by 90 degrees is: (F R B L).
That is, front goes to right, right goes to back, back goes to left, and left goes to front.

Are you familiar with applying cycles to each other?

Hi *I like Serena*,
I am familiar with permutation cycles and disjoint cycles. I think your hints are well written. I will try to use them. Thanks!

Related to Orders of elements for rotational symmetries of cube

1. What is a rotational symmetry of a cube?

A rotational symmetry of a cube is a transformation that preserves the shape and size of the cube while rotating it around a fixed point. This means that after the rotation, the cube will still look the same as it did before the rotation.

2. How many rotational symmetries does a cube have?

A cube has 24 rotational symmetries. These include rotations of 90°, 180°, and 270° around each of its three axes, as well as rotations of 120° and 240° around its four main diagonals.

3. What is the order of an element in the rotational symmetries of a cube?

The order of an element in the rotational symmetries of a cube is the number of times the cube must be rotated to return to its original position. For example, a 90° clockwise rotation around an axis has an order of 4, as the cube must be rotated 4 times (90°, 180°, 270°, and 360°) to return to its original position.

4. How are the orders of elements in the rotational symmetries of a cube related?

The orders of elements in the rotational symmetries of a cube are related by the fact that they must all be factors of the order of the cube's group of symmetries, which is 24. This means that the orders of the elements must be divisors of 24.

5. Can a cube have rotational symmetries other than those mentioned?

No, a cube can only have the rotational symmetries mentioned above. This is because any other rotation would either change the shape of the cube or not return it to its original position, thus not being a true symmetry.