Parallel transport on circle

In summary, Parallel transport on a unit sphere moves the tangent vector counterclockwise in order to remain parallel, and this can be visualized by thinking of moving the entire manifold along the curve while keeping the tangent vector oriented in the same direction.
murmillo
I'm trying to understand parallel transport and I'm stuck. The example given is if you have a unit sphere and you take one of the latitudes (not the equator), take at a point on the latitude the tangent vector to the curve, and parallel transport it around the curve. I don't understand why the vector field rotates counterclockwise. According to the notes, "If we just take the covariant derivative of the tangent vector to the circle, it points upwards, so the vector field must rotate counterclockwise to counteract that effect in order to remain parallel." I don't understand that sentence. Is it supposed to be obvious that the covariant derivative of the tangent vector points upwards? And what does he mean by counteracting the effect? Any help would be appreciated--I've spent a long time trying to understand this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey,

Not sure if this will help, but here's my two cents. Keep in mind this is in no way a rigorous explanation, but I definitely found that it helped me.

I assume you're using the Levi-Cevita connection for a covariant derivative? I always had trouble seeing how the tangent vector moved the way it did under parallel transport, until I read a nice little statement in Lee's book on Riemannian Geometry.

Essentially, imagine that instead of moving the tangent vector along a curve, you instead "move the entire manifold" along the curve in such a way as keep the tangent vector oriented in the same direction. Naturally in order to visualize this you have specified some sort of embedding, which won't always work. However, in the case of the unit sphere there is a natural embedding into [itex] \mathbb R^3[/itex]. When you translate this back into transporting the tangent vector, you'll see it behaves in precisely the same way as if you had moved the manifold.

Now it's hard to reflect on what you mean by "counterclockwise" since this is not well defined. Furthermore, even given an embedding of the unit sphere in [itex] \mathbb R^3 [/itex] and a fixed observation point, whether the vector field moves clockwise or counterclockwise is dependent the direction one travels on the curve. Since you haven't specified the curve or the direction of transport, it's hard to say anything more than that.

Related to Parallel transport on circle

1. What is parallel transport on a circle?

Parallel transport on a circle is a concept in differential geometry that describes how a vector is transported along a closed curve on a circle. It involves moving the vector while keeping it parallel to itself at all times.

2. How is parallel transport on a circle different from parallel transport on a straight line?

The main difference is that on a circle, parallel transport is affected by the curvature of the circle, whereas on a straight line, the curvature is zero and parallel transport is simply moving the vector without any changes to its direction.

3. Does parallel transport on a circle preserve the length of the vector?

No, parallel transport on a circle does not necessarily preserve the length of the vector. This is because the curvature of the circle can cause the vector to rotate as it is transported, resulting in a change in its length.

4. How is parallel transport on a circle related to the concept of geodesics?

Geodesics are the curves on a surface that follow the shortest path between two points. Parallel transport on a circle is closely related to geodesics because it describes how a vector changes as it is transported along a closed curve, which can be thought of as a geodesic on a circle.

5. What are some applications of parallel transport on a circle?

Parallel transport on a circle has various applications in mathematics and physics, particularly in the study of curved surfaces and spacetime. It is also used in computer graphics and computer vision for image and shape analysis.